Sign in to follow this  
Brett82

Fuss ballast effect on COG check

satinet
14 minutes ago, John T said:

Hi Pete

The model is a Skorpion DSL, still own it, fly it, love it fully ballasted.

Just never got it sorted for the light wind days.

John

well they are sh*te in low lift, so that might be part of the problem.....

• Like 1

pete beadle

Hi Lads

At least we now know where RCRCM copied it from then......;)

Fine, a Skorp would appreciate ballast, I can guarantee the Sigma would hate it though......

The  Sigma I was referring to as "my" Sigma, was the 3.7 version  that appeared in two other vids with Mike hand launching one over what looked like a cornfield.... with 3.7 wings fitted....definitely not the smaller, heavier F3B version......although I understand when he sold his F3B version a while back he said that one could mark,find and work lift well too

Anyway, problem solved, thanks guys

Pete

BARCS1702

• Like 1

satinet

the model was pre-ballasted. as I recall it weighed 2.7kg or thereabout. 

• Like 1

pete beadle

Which model?

Pete

BARCS1702

isoaritfirst

The only issue I see with your proposal Brett is that when you remove the nose cone the ballast will all drop on your toes.

It may be worth sacrificing one slug and using some EPP.

Re my Sigma, I had both the 3.7 and the shorter winged 3.1  F3B version.

My 3.7 one would not have liked ballast. It was a light wing construction and suffered with bendy wings, fine if flown light. It would have happily carried ballast but high speed passes were never in its repertoire, so there was little point. 

I just popped the shorter wings on when the wind got up, or if flying off the slope. Filling the F3B one with ballast didn't make any significant difference - it just flew great at any weight, even with the short wings it would thermal on a fart with or without ballast. A very good section.

I sold it recently as I hadn't flown it for a while - and needed to buy a new transmitter - sad to see it go it was an interesting model with a good reason to stay.

• Like 1

Brett82
29 minutes ago, satinet said:

well they are sh*te in low lift, so that might be part of the problem.....

haha, love it. Can always count on you to tell us what you think Tom, no mincing your words here. :D

I must admit I have only flown it in what I would consider medium, maybe bordering on almost light conditions (certainly not light though). It seemed to fly as well, if not better, then my Willow in those conditions. I have flown the Willow in light conditions (not in F3F style anger though) and it seemed ok so I might just have to get the feel of both models in all conditions so I know when to chuck which one off the slope.

I thought mine was the DSL version but I'm beginning to wonder if its the F3B version. I mean, despite the fact it has an F3B hook (bit obvious), it is also very light. There is a very noticeable difference in picking up my Willow then picking up my Skorpion. I need to hurry up and get my wife "her" new digital scale so I can weigh each glider properly. Anyone have any idea what the general weights were for each version of the Skorpion? If its the F3B it may be better in lighter conditions than the DSL, or at least I would think it would be. 

4 minutes ago, isoaritfirst said:

The only issue I see with your proposal Brett is that when you remove the nose cone the ballast will all drop on your toes.

Good point... now where are my steel toe cap boots... :ermm:

I will need to figure out how to work around it because if I swap the front slug for some EPP I have to remove one from the back (to keep it balanced). It has 970g total ballast and that would loose me about 180g, not ideal. I'm starting to lean more towards tape, its simple and although it may be a pain, so is having a tube full of slugs land on you toes.

Brett

satinet

I would use a small bung at the front or tape it down. Compared to a model with wing ballast where you have to whip out a spreadsheet each time you change the ballast you are well ahead on the convenience curve.

Obviously the skorp wasn't supplied with a rubber bung like the Extreme and later models, from what people are saying.

The skorpion f3b had more angle on the wing joiner. They usually say f3b on them as well. Although I've been told they were somewhat lacking in launch stability and duration. They all have a tow hook afaik. Most models do from europe.

satinet
1 hour ago, isoaritfirst said:

It may be worth sacrificing one slug and using some EPP.

Re my Sigma, I had both the 3.7 and the shorter winged 3.1  F3B version.

My 3.7 one would not have liked ballast. It was a light wing construction and suffered with bendy wings, fine if flown light. It would have happily carried ballast but high speed passes were never in its repertoire, so there was little point. 

I just popped the shorter wings on when the wind got up, or if flying off the slope. Filling the F3B one with ballast didn't make any significant difference - it just flew great at any weight, even with the short wings it would thermal on a fart with or without ballast. A very good section.

I sold it recently as I hadn't flown it for a while - and needed to buy a new transmitter - sad to see it go it was an interesting model with a good reason to stay.

Good design. Pity they managed to combine high weight with low strength. 

Brett82
13 minutes ago, satinet said:

I would use a small bung at the front or tape it down. Compared to a model with wing ballast where you have to whip out a spreadsheet each time you change the ballast you are well ahead on the convenience curve.

Obviously the skorp wasn't supplied with a rubber bung like the Extreme and later models, from what people are saying.

The skorpion f3b had more angle on the wing joiner. They usually say f3b on them as well. Although I've been told they were somewhat lacking in launch stability and duration. They all have a tow hook afaik. Most models do from europe.

Thanks Tom, Ive decided it will be tape with a small strip of carbon for stiffness, no point going overboard. I didn't realize most European models came with a hook. Possible more did 10 years ago than would now.

Other than the hook I have no reason to doubt that it is the DSL. Its just the one day I had both models assembled and I picked up the Willow and then picked up the Skorpion and that's when I realized the weight difference. I suppose it could just be the Willow is heavy....

Brett