Sign in to follow this  
Tony Beckett

3rd F3K 14 Day Duration Challenge

Tony Beckett

Forecast for early in the day of sunshine and winds less than double figures had me out at Melton by 9:30am. Managed a 3:02 before the sun went in and the wind increased.....

So here is a nice low figure for those of you trimming new models to beat.

Tony Beckett,  Nxt,  4th March,  3:02

aatimes.jpg

This is a for fun challenge, anyone with a hand-launch glider that conforms to the F3K (up to 1.5m) or Mosquito (less than 1m) class can post a time.
Object: Fly your F3K or Mosquito class hand launch glider for as long as possible from a flat field, the person who's time is unbeaten for 14 days 'wins' and a new challenge starts.

Rules: Fly safely. No slope soaring.

Please post your times as follows:-. Pilot Name, F3K or Mosquito class, model name, length of flight minutes and seconds, plus date of flight. Previous challenges since 2012 can be seen at www.f3k.uk

thechalster

9 mph wind so not ideal but it wasn't raining up north so I went out (with me big coat on).  Wind made it difficult but there was some strong lift and sink about.  Best I could manage was 3 good climbs and returns to give a 9.22.  Vortex 2.5 plus 50g of ballast.

Mike c

Tony Beckett

Ian68

Hi

Flew on the Sat easily double figures bit dodgy  to be honest but couldn't resist......went up like a crisp packet!!....ballast needed me thinks... Couldn't connect with more lift upwind unfortunately  so ended with 2.25  snipe sn

Ian

Tony Beckett

cirrusRC

Gorgeous spring day.  Although I didn't chain them together, lots of flights over 15 mins.    Best was 19:21.

I appear to have sorted the antenna out in the pod.  Up to 800ft without any warnings so defo an improvement.    Useful article here on antenna placement :  http://www.rcsoaringdigest.com/pdfs/Originals/RCSD-2011-04Orig.pdf 

• Like 2

Simon Jones

Well done Cirrus.  I got out for the first time since the 17th Feb for a quick half hour.  There was some really strong lift about and I managed 4.03, 5.56 and 6.26 but nothing to trouble your 19 mins!

Simon

Simon B

Well done, It looked nice out there today, I was working......made 10.03 yesterday in not to friendly wind conditions, lots going on but only really got much above launch hight on that one flight so I had the range to find, and string together a few good patches as they wizzed by. On antenna placement, I have found on my spectrum kit, small movements can make a surprisingly big difference, my eyes seem to be the limiting factor rather than the radio though, roll on summer.

Richard Swindells

Huge lift on m 2nd flight took me to 1500ft,

Then someone came over to talk about the model, so I landed to show him how it all worked... not much lift for the rest of the flights.

No idea what my time was on the good flight, but nowhere near 19mins.

Tony Beckett

Redbird

Completely overcast and blowing 10mph+ but some lift about. Managed to grab three climbs in a row and dithered around for 13.04 so no challenge from me yet. Vortex, March 11th, no ballast.

1500ft Richard? We'll have to call you Hawkeye.

• Like 1

simon_t

Nice conditions here in Kent today.  34:35, Snipe SNT.  Max height 622m off a <30m launch (first one of the day, so being cautious).  New glasses I picked up yesterday are doing nicely!  Not a claim though as I had height telemetry available so I don't think it counts.

Simon

• Like 2

Redbird

Awesome Simon.

simon_t

IMG_0244.JPG

• Like 1

Ian68

Light wind today with weak lift ....managed 3.47 still tweaking and making small adjustments....sticking with it and waiting for that big one !!

Ian

cirrusRC

Nice Simon.  Were your new glasses in fact binoculars?

• Like 1

simon_t
Just now, cirrusRC said:

Nice Simon.  Were your new glasses in fact binoculars?

Nope, just a minor tweak to the old prescription, and nice new clear unscratched lenses!  The descent from about 400-500 seconds on the screen photo was full airbrake and pushing down.  100m in two minutes!

Simon

Tony Beckett

aatimes.jpg

Seems a pity to miss out Simons time, telemetry or not, so I have added it with a -tm and suggest that Daves time of 19:21 before 21st March is the one to beat for the 3rd Challenge.

Tony

• Like 1

Redbird

Well i am trying! Found a gentle climb today from below 20m and took it to 282m which is my highest ever but had to leave so came down gradually with 24mins 20sec total. I had the use of altitude readout and vario audio.

We don't have to beat the best time to list here do we Tony?

Bruce H, F3K Vortex 24:20s 15-3-17

cirrusRC

I guess spring has arrived!    Some great lift about but bonkers sink.   It was like the hand of god at times forcing me down.

Couple of early launches hooked up some great lift,  but with zero clouds in the sky I was finding the model tricky to see - much easier at height against a white cloud.   Had a spell of sink everywhere and took quite a few more launches before things improved.    Got away 3 times before hitting sink city.  Thought I was done at 20 minutes but managed to hook up some light lift around 80ft and slowly work my way back up to 600ft travelling a long way down wind.   Was joined by a couple of hawks which put a smile on my face seeing them flapping to keep pace with my climb  (a first!!).    Started to think about Simons time as I hit sink again.    Got down to around 90ft and felt some strong lift blowing through but I never managed to find the core and just held on long enough for 35 mins 26

I log all my telemetry (RSSI, + ALT + VOLTAGE + INPUTS) for post flight analysis, so I'll probably include my Altitude log in future posts for 30 min + flights.

w8J0FaK.png

• Like 4