Sign in to follow this  
Tony Beckett

4th Mosquito 14 Day Challenge of 2017

Tony Beckett

Jon said:- "Managed a few flights today - a bit windy but lift was there, just turbulent low down which doesn't suit the wee Vela. The kites I was sharing thermals with were flapping about too so I don't feel quite so bad...  been thinking I need to build a new Mosquito for the summer. Maybe actually 1m span "

Jon Whitmore, Vela, 1:55, 07/03/17

aatimes.jpg

This is a for fun challenge, anyone with a hand-launch glider that conforms to the Mosquito (less than 1m) class can post a time.
Object: Fly your  Mosquito class hand launch glider for as long as possible from a flat field, the person who's time is unbeaten for 14 days 'wins' and a new challenge starts.

Rules: Fly safely. No slope soaring.

Please post your times as follows:-. Pilot Name, F3K or Mosquito class, model name, length of flight minutes and seconds, plus date of flight. Previous challenges for 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 can be seen at www.f3k.uk

• Like 1

Phil C

Managed a lunchtime session today.

Beautiful Sun with a slight haze of cloud & fairly windy. Lots of launches into sink, then finally found strong lift which carried it away quickly down wind but then pushing back up wind at low height found some nice little bubbles & hung on for a further minute.

Phil Carter 13/3/17 Strike 2   3:26

Tony Beckett

Whitmore

Lunchtime session with the Vela. Bit too windy for it really, 10-12mph forecast but felt a lot more when the infill came through. Getting the 73g Vela high enough into wider lift has always been the issue so I spent some time working on a faster 'speed launch' (I'm more of a power launcher really) Eventually got through the turbulence to speck out. Stuck with the lift as long as I dared but chickened out a little far downwind for comfort. Managed to stretch the glide for a 3:36. Nice to see this little chap at height again :)

Jon Whitmore, Vela, 3:36

Phil C

Also managed a lunchtime session a little later than Jon. Conditions were amazing earlier in the morning & by 12:30 wind had picked up a little but still plenty of lift. Bumpy low down but my improving launches are seeing the Strike get higher :) & into cleaner air. Plenty of feathered friends enjoying it too.

Lots of frustrating sink & many short flights, managed to stay in lift and cruise around on some bubbles for a satisfying 4:08. ( sorry Jon )

Sun is still beating down & tempted to go out again later ;)

Phil Carter Strike 2 15/3/17  4:08 

Tony Beckett

Phil C

Cold foggy start but knew the sun would appear about lunchtime, what a beautiful day, very light wind between 12-1pm

Amazing clean air & the Strike 2 was showing every lump & bump of lift. Many short flights & tempting me with every launch to keep going to find more lift.

Finally found steady lift & (then remembered to start timer!!) I could hang in to what seemed a lifetime, back up wind to find another & around 5 more after that. Thought about lying down as neck was starting to ache. Didn't want to stop but was concerned about battery & work was calling! 

I had Jon's record from last year in my head & my own personal best! Did it :) 

Phil Carter Strike 2 28/3/17  19:03

• Like 1

Tony Beckett

Good one Phil, that keeps this challenge open for another 14 days.

aResult.jpg

StraightEdge

Top notch Phil!

• Like 1

Phil C

Totally opposite to what weather was forecast, sun out with small cumulus bubbling up, waited till early lunch to take the Strike out. Big lift & strong drift, only managed a 4:29 as was flying near trees so chickened out when it got too far down wind. Still happy with that time but now need to break that 20min :) 

• Like 1

Simon P

Seems I posted my mosquito time to the wrong thread, but no matter since it doesn't beat Phil's time anyway. Got 9 minutes flat on my first flight this year and the first for my elf in about a year. Frightened myself!

• Like 2

Tony Beckett

Phil wins the 4th Mosquito Challenge of the year, making it three for Phil against one for Jon - so far.....

aatimes.jpg

Phil C

Amazing conditions today! Virtually impossible to not find lift! Totally specked out with the Strike to the point of - 'oh no I can't see seem to see it'. After catching numerous thermals, even as low as house height, finally came down with 13:08. Couldn't get close after that, only 6's & 7's

Hope I wasn't the only one flying today :/

Phil Carter Strike 2  19/4/17. 13:08

• Like 1