Sign in to follow this  
Darren_O

Ridge Ryder

Darren_O

Just thought I'd post a pic or two as I paint it. 

Bought it without it's usual decals, so it's getting a Luftwaffe/Horten style makeover. Might annoy the scale types enough to give me a chuckle...base colour grey and some green spots on so far. Will build layers up and keep the wingtips yellow. Just need to find some Luftwaffe decals in the right size. "Ho229" a couple of crosses and a swastika on the tips should do it....

IMG_20170319_214442.jpg

pete beadle

Hi Darren

I "Hortenised" a Multiplex Xeno a couple of years ago.....it looked really great in the air.....can I suggest a couple of things though?

If I were you, I'd make sure the "camo" top surface has bright flecks in it......when you make low passes on the hill the plane just disappears beneath you if you don't.......also, if you are going to add Swastikas, could I suggest you paint them on "reversed", or use yellow "E's" in yellow rings instead?

A while back, one of my fellow ISA members was nearly subjected to an assault by a grey-haired little old lady who objected to the Swastikas on his vintage gull-wing model, and who launched into a loud shouting match with him describing the offence the Swastikas caused........it really surprised my mate, but all he did was took them off, to prevent a repeat performance or any chance the little old lady would be coming back! He was/is a big-built six footer but that particular little "spitfire" had him well rattled!.....you have been warned!:yes::)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702  

oipigface

.....and yet if you go to Munich and stand under the portico of the Art Gallery, there they are still...

pete beadle

Hi Darren

You see?........like it or not, people will comment, even object to them.......still, they're not essential are they? No-one objects to Iron crosses on the wings, and, let's face it, it won't be a scale plane......so why take the risk of some onlooker complaining about them?........ Your choice mate......

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702 

Darren_O

Never considered that Pete. My grandad is still with us, dunkirk and d-day vet. Might skip them. I still wouldn't like a clip off him at 90!

• Like 1

SilentPilot

I've a few of these Ridge Ryders myself!

You've given me some inspiration on what to do with my unpainted version.  Don't think I'll do any German colour schemes though...

Have you flown yours yet? What do you think? I got some funny comments about mine from some guys, but it's proved itself in alsorts of conditions which included at Levisham in measured 40+mph winds, it did real good :D 

Tony

• Like 1

Darren_O

Unflown as yet, looking forward to throwing it off the Orme into a good blow. Did you tape yours up or fly as is? Noticed HK have them back down to £45 PNF so I might get another with the decals on.

SilentPilot

Flown as it is.

The thing I've noticed with these RR's is they like to be heavy. I've given up trying to make a lightweight version for low winds, I tried a tiny Rx pack but couldn't seem to get it balanced, instead I load them up with a 4S 'AA' Rx pack and full ballast for use in fuller winds. 

I may yet tape one up but I fear I don't have the time or the skills to do a proper job...

• Like 1

Darren_O

That's good to hear, I wanted it to fly heavy, very rare to get light lift days. Did you use the provided ballast? I saw on RCgroups some were making lead plates instead,seems a lot of effort if the tubes work.

SilentPilot

Yeah, I just used the provided ballast. 

Be sure to only use the heavy stuff though. The pack is a mix of metal and plastic pellets. 

I've got 3 sets of ballast and there's enough of the heavy stuff to fill the tubes now! 

Add in a heavy AA Rx pack and a not particularly small receiver and it soon gets loaded up :) 

It flies well in winds that some people shyed away from with their mouldies!!!

• Like 1

Darren_O

I'm having far too much fun with this RR :)

Darren_O

Electrics all fitted, bit of a squeeze with a 4s AA RX pack but I got it all in. Just need to finish the canopy off now. As you can see by the nose, she's flown already and collected a few battle scars...
In very little lift it really scooted about, would have been better model without so much built in reflex I think.

IMG_20170408_123035.jpg

IMG_20170408_130222.jpg