Sign in to follow this  
Nick Jackson

Staying logged in

Question

Nick Jackson

I always check the box to 'Stay logged in' to the BARCS forum but am periodically booted out and have to log in again. Happens on several devices. Hardly life-threatening but a bit annoying.

Does this happen to everyone? Could anything be done to fix it?

14 answers to this question

pete beadle

Hi Nick

This happens to me too, and has done for ages......I referred it to Austin and he tried his best but nothing seemed to work....in the end I believe we were close to finding the fault when I noticed that Internet Explorer itself was randomly closing down, and I received error messages stating "No internet connection " although the w-fi connection was still showing as 100% OK on the BT hub........

Trouble is, in my case, I was using BT.com as my homepage and BT Protect as my antivirus, and that BTProtect, (the antivirus package that BT provides free and recommends), was randomly, apparently, generating warnings based on their webpage status checker on the antivirus, which every now and then stated "We do not recommend opening this site"........even when the webpage concerned was BT.com!!!!!!!!! 

Since I am VERY non-techie, I have just given up......sorry I can't be more helpful, but I'm basically just answering the part of your question where you ask "has anyone else had this happen" with the BARCS webpage.....sorry........

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Austin

@Nick Jackson

This should have been resolved a while back however there may be a bug in the software again. Has it just started to happen for you or always been the case?

Nick Jackson

Sorry Austin I've not been keeping a close eye when it occurs. I think it's always been the case rather than something which has just (re)started but I'm not confident about that.

Update 22 March: now happened to me several times in the last couple of days. (Maybe this query has annoyed the software!)

Nicholls

Had to log in just now and haven't had to for months maybe..

SilentPilot

Every now and then I have to log in again on my PC. 

I thought nothing of it, guess maybe I thought it was because I was using a mixture of mobile apps and PC website, I'll try see if there is a pattern in the future.

Tony 

tonym

I get logged out a lot, was logged out during a post this afternoon, maybe because I paused too long while thinking, the site software reloaded my message when I logged back in (I'd copied the text to the clipboard anyway just in case, lost too many posts on forums before!). This is on Linux Mint and Firefox, I use LastPass as my password manager which with the LastPass Addon loads my username and password and I just click Login again.

Another Tony

Austin

Made another change. Please report back if you still have issues.

• Like 1

Nick Jackson

Austin,

I've been fine since then. Many thanks.

Austin
18 hours ago, Nick Jackson said:

Austin,

I've been fine since then. Many thanks.

Good news Nick. :thumbsup:

Nick Jackson

Austin,

I'm afraid it's started signing me out again. (Probably something I said.)

Austin
7 minutes ago, Nick Jackson said:

Austin,

I'm afraid it's started signing me out again. (Probably something I said.)

Nothing has been changed. Where are you accessing from, always from home or sometimes from withing a workplace network?

Nick Jackson

Not necessarily from home - this via the 'eduroam' network.  But has occurred previously at home too. 

CTR

Any thoughts that it may be a result of pesky Windows updates?

pete beadle

Hi CTR

With my PC, I'm pretty sure it's Internet Explorer 11 that has contains the fault ......

Recently I was "given" Website Advisor FOC by BT, I removed it immediately, because I am near enough certain the problem lies in a conflict between BTMail and BT'S recommended antivirus package BT Virus Protect, which, when using the "stripped down" Website Advisor you get in the package, regularly recommends I DON'T open BT.com as the "company name shown is incorrect"

I've tried many times to get this fault rectified by the BT Helpdesk who basically required me to close and restart IE11, the Home Hub and BTMail (twice) and ended up by saying it was MY fault for not changing my password often enough, "which apparently was the problem with BTYahoo which I had used previously

I've given up now but, like you, I am convinced these Windows Updates, which you/I HAVE to accept, like it or not, ARE at least part of the problem basically because 99% of these automatic updates are security updates........I'm quite possibly wrong in this too, however as other, more computer literate friends say it IS my fault for using BT as an ISP, or using a PC instead of a Mac or NOT using Kaspersky or whatever antivirus package is the flavour of the month today.........

BTW I'm still getting signed out from the forum 2 out of 3 times........I just look skyward for inspiration and sign in again....doesn't take long......

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702