Sign in to follow this  
pete beadle

Fitting X-Models Whisper V-tail connectors

pete beadle

Hi all

I'm hoping one (or more) of you can help me out

I've been trying to contact South Coast Sailplanes by e-mail - so far no reply

I've trawled the net for building instructions from X - Models but can't find any

I bought this Whisper recently and the seller confirmed he'd fitted a new one piece V- tail to it......

Trouble is, where to drill the holes to fit the horn attachments? I'm assuming the elevators should be fitted with horns as near as possible to the trailing edges of the elevators and parallel to their front edges(?), however, because I usually use brass columns with threaded collars with ends machined to suit 2mm clevises, I see if I use that system and drill the holes for them where I usually do, I'll be drilling these holes perilously close to the edge of the internal  strengthening (see pics) and, even if I do fit them there, the pushrods or wires I do fit, will be entering/exiting the rear fuselage right on the line of the rear fuselage mouldings/sides, and possibly just outside their line.....

Can I get someone's help in finding how X-Models say this should be done, or, alternatively how another Whisper builder/assembler has done his?  

I'd really appreciate some help on this......

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Whisper V tail 1.JPG

Whisper V tail 2.JPG

Gromit

Hi Pete,

I believe Peter Payne owner & all-round great guy of South Coast Sailplanes, is on holiday at the moment, that's the reason for him not having replied to your e'mail. I'm certain he would otherwise have got back to you immeadiately.

There are links to all the X Models PDF build instructions for each model in the X model range, on Pete's South Coast Web Site, for your convenience Pete here are the Whispers http://www.south-coast-sailplanes.com/_app_/resources/documents/www.south-coast-sailplanes.com/Whisper_V3-0_ITA.pdf   ( note,  take's a moment to down load)

Regards

Stu.

• Like 1

satinet

The instructions are on the south coast website in the whisper page!

Gromit

Pete, Just realised from your Pics your's is a 1 piece tail, not 2 as in the PDF  build thread .......... :frantics:

My trusty 1.9 Carbon Blade which I've now had now for around 8-10 yrs has a 1 piece tail, this is epoxied straight onto the fuz. 

Stu.

isoaritfirst

Hi Pete,

Clevises don't like V tail's they get all screwed up.

You need to use ball joints on the end of your fuselage pushrods.

For the tailplane make two identical horn assemblies using 2mm pushrod.

Bend them so that each runs along the line of the hinge and then bends down to a sit at the end of the fuselage opening.

Glue or solder the ball in place.

Diggle out a little of the epoxy microballoon mix thats in the elevator and remake with rod in place.

Be careful to keep it all nice and equal.

Alternative option may be to buy a couple of the nylon V tail horns that Phoenix MP sells, they will allow clevis provided you keep within small movements and then the flex in the horn will accept the clevis twist.

Re your earlier statement

"I'm assuming the elevators should be fitted with horns as near as possible to the trailing edges of the elevators and parallel to their front edges(?),"

I guess you meant to say trailing edge of the tailplane, but neither is correct. It doesn't matter where you fit the horn all that matter is the position that the pivot point makes in relation to th epushrods and hinge line.

• Like 3

pete beadle

Hi Gromit

Your link to the build notes goes to the Italian version.....no speaka di yadda yadda.......

Tom

I can't find anything on the Whisper page....could you give me a link please? - if you can find one to the English version....

Hi Mike

Thank you for the "What to do" but, one-handed it's far, far beyond my capabilities....... Do customers have to make up their own rods with ball links on or do they come, pre-bent in the kit do you know?

I was going to try drilling the elevators to accept two of the brass "columns" with machined brass ball ends fitted facing inwards, and using ball-links fitted to the ends of hollow carbon pushrods, but need a pic of someone's installation to copy the angles and their placement.....anyone got a pic of their installation I could use?

Why does everything I do grow two heads and bite me?.......

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

satinet

You want the ball links to be on the hinge. As Mike says it doesn't really matter how you stick them to the elevator. It's where they are in relation to the hinge.

Imagine it's just like a normal linkage on something like a wot4. Geometry wise.

the Italian instructions do have pictures. 

20170323_153629_zpsnquq1vlh.jpg

20170323_153711_zpswpvl4bho.jpg

Gromit

Sorry Pete, thought you were fluent in Italian ;)....... lol

I've done a 'googly' search & found that many others over the yrs have had the same prob not being able to find an English version of Whisper instructions :no:.

I've just looked at the X models Blade instructions (these ARE in English) PDF to compare the build, this is very similar, plus of course they all in English  http://www.south-coast-sailplanes.com/_app_/resources/documents/www.south-coast-sailplanes.com/Blade_V2-3_ENG_WEB.pdf

Pages  18 - 19 are the ones you need .

Quote ;- Do customers have to make up their own rods with ball links on or do they come, pre-bent in the kit do you know? 

Pete, Yes, Its a DIY job, simply refer back to the Whisper's PDF file for the correct rod angles & lengths. the Blade's PDF in English will explain the steps.

Think you can now cancel your 'learn to read Italian' night classes now Pete :D

Stu

pete beadle

Hi Stu

You're a gent! I greatly appreciate your help and understanding

I used to be quite fluent in French, simply because the exchange student that taught us conversational French at school looked remarkably like Brigitte Bardot(!) There's simply nothing like having a BIG crush on teacher to improve your grades........those were indeed the days.....

Italian though? I only remember learning the essentials necessary to read the menu at "Dino's" my local alternative to making my "Spag Bol" at home!

Ah well....

Pete

BARCS1702

• Like 1

Gromit

Your welcome Pete, glad I could help. Mmmm Brgigitte :sweat:.lol

Stu

pete beadle

Hi Gromit

Still no reply from Peter Payne yet so I'll probably have to try ringing South Coast in a day or so

Thing is, as I'm severely restricted in what I can do in the way of repairs these days I've been doing a bit of lateral thinking, and am currently trying the latest product of my musings....to replace the entire one-piece V-tail of the Whisper with the spare one from my V-Ultra Pico I retained after selling my old one.....

Currently it's looking good, the V-Ultra retaining bolt is sited almost exactly where the Whisper's is, the tailplane dihedral is the same, and the balls on the V-ultra fit neatly into the opening in the rear of the Whisper fuselage......I admit it doesn't look very pretty and is much too angular to be an X-Models design, but it does seem to be working out.....just the pushrods with ball ends to make and we'll see......

Wish me luck.......I'll need it

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702