SilentPilot

Slope Flying Sites

SilentPilot

Ok, I'll get the ball rolling, this could be a really useful tool :) 

I've posted Pule Hill. Not having flown here I'm kind of wanting to know if the marked place is correct. Any tips on where to park and which tracks to use would be welcome too!

Are we able to edit the maps with directions and the like?

Tony

cirrusRC

When signed into google,  from "My Maps" you can create a custom map edit with markers and polygons and descriptions.   I tried sharing publicly and then pasting the URL into this site but I get a "The Google Maps API server rejected your request. Invalid request. Invalid 'center' parameter."   So it would appear map edits are not compatible.    The only other way is using  iFrames and having a google map API key which is very unlikely to happen here :)   No doubt Austin can confirm.

SilentPilot

It seems the easiest way to add to any map is to save it (the map) as a picture, edit it as normal, then repost as a pic again.

Austin
13 minutes ago, cirrusRC said:

When signed into google,  from "My Maps" you can create a custom map edit with markers and polygons and descriptions.   I tried sharing publicly and then pasting the URL into this site but I get a "The Google Maps API server rejected your request. Invalid request. Invalid 'center' parameter."   So it would appear map edits are not compatible.    The only other way is using  iFrames and having a google map API key which is very unlikely to happen here :)   No doubt Austin can confirm.

I will have a go and see what the issue is with custom maps. Iframes are a no because the forum doesn't allow html to be posted into the editor. Well it can but it's a security risk if implemented.

There should be no problem putting a marker on the map then sharing it, thus allowing the user to then click on directions etc. As in my example here, that's really the idea so its easy to get directions.

• Like 1

SilentPilot

IMG_0739.JPG

Brett82

Hi Tony

What might also be an option is to have the standard map with the terrain lines added for those that don't know the area. I looked at the above map and thought the slope might be going up from the golf course towards the road so it would fly an easterly. Looking below tells the exact opposite. 

Capture10.JPG

• Like 1

Dave Elam

I've flown at Pule quite a few times in the past but never seem to get over there these days. As a slope though it works great.

You should be able to park on Mount Road close to where it joins the A62. I suspect you'll then see tracks/paths that lead upwards to the ridge area.

Hope that helps a little.

• Like 1

SilentPilot

Cheers, Dave :) 

SilentPilot

I tried to add the Terrain lines Brett but they didn't come through...

SilentPilot

IMG_1647.JPG

The West slope is by far the most popular. It works best with a slight amount of North in it. Maybe not full WNW, just a little helps though. 

The South slope looks great on the map but in reality it's not really all that workable...

mtreble
6 hours ago, Dave Elam said:

I've flown at Pule quite a few times in the past but never seem to get over there these days. As a slope though it works great.

You should be able to park on Mount Road close to where it joins the A62. I suspect you'll then see tracks/paths that lead upwards to the ridge area.

Hope that helps a little.

I don't go that way. I park in the lay-by on the A62 in front of the hill. There is a stile over the wall or you can follow the road about 50 yards south to find a gate (the latter is less steep!). As you walk up the hill, head to the northern end and there is a nice grassy ridge (just past the rocky bit).

It's also worth mentioning that this is marsden moor site, so you should be a member of the mmsa or one of it's affiliated clubs to fly there. http://www.marsden-moor-soaring-association.co.uk

• Like 1

simon_t

High quality 1:25000 OS map of Baildon Hill

Simon

IMG_0251.PNG

SilentPilot
1 hour ago, mtreble said:

It's also worth mentioning that this is marsden moor site, so you should be a member of the mmsa or one of it's affiliated clubs to fly there. http://www.marsden-moor-soaring-association.co.uk

I do join MMSA as I like flying at Nont Sarah's, but I thought I'd heard that Pule wasn't on their list...

Phil_G

I've flown Baildon South overlooking Hope farm and it was 'ok', not brilliant, if its a southerly I would definitely carry on to Nont Sarahs!
I've not flown Pule Hill yet as I'm also in the Sheffield club (SSA) and Callow is superb for westerlies, though we have an ongoing dispute with the tenant (if he's still there, last I heard he'd been served an eviction order) :)

Main thing is, keep flying whatever slopes you can find before we succumb to EASA...

Cheers
Phil

• Like 1

Skip

Southerndown. Amazing for SW especially when Mickeys at the Bwlch is clagged in

• Like 1

wookman

I find myself at a loose end in Weymouth for a couple hours over lunch on Friday (2nd) next week.

So apart from raiding the chippy are there any ideas for somewhere for a bit of sloping in the vicinity?

Forecast is SSW and rain but you have to be optimistic!

Over to you guys ....

wookman

Is Egerdon Bowl still in use?

rwhitt

I find myself at a loose end in Weymouth for a couple hours over lunch on Friday (2nd) next week.

So apart from raiding the chippy are there any ideas for somewhere for a bit of sloping in the vicinity?

Forecast is SSW and rain but you have to be optimistic!

Over to you guys ....

Ringstead is likely flyable if dry

wookman

Cheers rwhitt.

Looks a good one.

Any more?

rwhitt
22 minutes ago, wookman said:

Cheers rwhitt.

Looks a good one.

Any more?

Sorry only one I used to go to :)