Sign in to follow this  
Baldrick

Seagull models K8 wing Airfoil?

Baldrick

Afternoon Gent's,

Anyone know what the Airfoil is that Seagull use on their 3mtr K8?

pete beadle

Hi Baldrick

There's no mention of the airfoil section anywhere on the Ka8's spec sheet, or on the build notes, but there is a cross section of the profile on the build notes....it looks like a non-specific thick section, symmetrical, scale(ish) section......why do you need it?

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Baldrick

just interested really, if it is a named one I would like to look up the polars, Cl/CD etc

pete beadle

Hi Baldrick

Have a look at the assembly instructions and see if the sketch of the wing profile looks similar to any scale sections you do have the details for........unfortunately, according to the blurb on the Seagull website, the Ka8  is shown as "for advanced pilots" so it's not going to be a forgiving airfoil.........so replicating it really isn't something that is going to help its flying qualities is it?

Good luck though

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702  

SilentPilot

I think sometimes gliders are marketed as 'advanced fliers only' because of the caution needed when landing. Even with air brakes some gliders really float on when you round out, it's very easy to overshoot the landing area.

Baldrick

http://airfoiltools.com/airfoil/details?airfoil=e210-il

It is something pretty close to this, the Eppler 210, it has a Cl of .5 at an angle of attack of 0 deg...., this would explain why you have to adjust the horizontal stab L.E by 5 to 6mm as out of the box the wing AoA is around 7deg .

lots of people recon the C of G is to far back when in fact it is the tailplane incidence causing it to "porpoise" all over the sky particlarily when turning into wind.

Advanced flyer..... I suppose I can qualify for that.... 50+ years Man & Boy started out on control line and FF thermal ,my first gliders were towline free flight with fuse D/T's, current fleet is from the K8 thro Erwin XL & Pitbull  to 1/4 scale Ventus 2CZ

my gliders @ Roundway today, Blade XL, Erwin Medium XL and the venerable Mamba... still going strong. 

Erwin was the star of the day, it kept on flying even when the ball floaters were grounded

IMG_0084.jpg

Baldrick

Balsa, not Ball floaters  :-)

• Like 2

pete beadle

Hi Baldrick

Yep, Eppler 210 looks good

I think the real reason Chinese manufacturers don't specify the airfoil sections they (allegedly) use, is because their sections, being "approximate" copies, can't be identified in the way you have done here......the buyers they're aiming these kits at, are very much mainly "buy it and fly it" buyers who wouldn't recognise a wing section, especially a big name like Eppler if it bit them in the b*m!

I'm surprised the Mamba didn't hang in there, I've had many a good light wind flight with my old one at Ivinghoe

This predictive text function frequently suggests options that are b*lls........but sticks their guesses in there anyway.....

I really dislike the fact that my system continually replaces the English spellings with the American English versions....NOT awesome!

Good floating

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

satinet

Could be a Helmut Quabek of some sort