groom_k

The Raptors are coming! (High Performance Aerobatic Glider)

groom_k

Hi All

I’m really excited to be able to share some news about the Raptor high performance aerobatic glider that I’ve been working on for the last few years.

I’m very pleased to announce that production of the model will be undertaken by Jiri and the team at Baudismodel. Jiri is undoubtedly one of the world leaders in composite model production and it’s a privilege to be working with him and the team on this project.

I first started work on the project a number of years ago. During the prototype and pre production stages the model was called Kinetic. For production the name has been changed to Raptor to avoid confusion with the Kinetic DS models that Spencer Lisenby develops and sells. 

Design

The Raptor has been designed as a high performance glider for flying fast, high energy, open style aerobatics from the slope. The initial design and optimisation of the model was undertaken using CFD tools. The key characteristics of the model are speed, symmetry and precision. The model uses a two piece wing with a two piece all moving tailplane. The headline dimensions are:-

Wingspan: 2370mm
Length: 1330mm
Airfoil: 8% symmetrical
Design: Keith Groombridge
Construction: Jiri Baudis
Weight: ~ 2250g (single carbon) and ~ 2050g (double carbon)
Ballast: 540g

Construction

The model is available with single carbon or double carbon layups.
The wings are ready for LDS installation and are supplied with LDS linkages.
The fuselage is full carbon with carbon ribs and with 2,4 GHz friendly nose. 
The fuselage is supplied with carbon pushrods for the elevator and rudder.
The model includes all accessories for assembly: 4 x LDS set, equipment tray, cables, connectors and servo covers.
The model also includes a ballast set for the wings and protective padded foil bags for the wings and elevators.
The model is available in standard colour schemes with possibility of personal colour design.
It is also possible to order a completed model with servos, cables and battery pack installed.

Ordering/Prices

Ordering and delivery of the model will be managed by the team at Baudismodel.
The prices for the model with standard colour schemes, excluding transport, will be:-

Single carbon: 1100 €
Double carbon: 1390 €

I’m expecting the initial lead time to be around 4 months.

BR

Keith

IMG_3143.JPG

IMG_3170.JPG

IMG_3121.JPG

IMG_0934.jpg

IMG_0932.JPG

• Like 2

nucleardwarf

Congratulations Keith,

I have had the pleasure of watching you fly/develop this model and have always been highly impressed with its aerobatic abilities.

Wishing you every success for the future and look forward to seeing you on the slopes soon.

Mark.

groom_k

Thanks Mark, that's really appreciated.

Hope to see you on the slopes soon.

BR

Keith

oipigface

Great work, Keith. I've been badgering you for some time about buying one of these from you. So it will come as no surprise to learn that my order is in already.

There's an awful lot of skill and determination needed to get a project like this off the ground, and you deserve to do very well with it.

• Like 2

Darren_O

Guy from Baudis pointed me at this thread when I asked about Banana parts or a replacement. Looks very nice indeed, but out of my price range.

f3fisa
On 4/5/2017 at 23:46, groom_k said:

Weight: ~ 2250g (single carbon) and ~ 2050g (double carbon)
Ballast: 540g

One question, why is the single carbon heavier than the double carbon.

David.

satinet

One heavy layer or two light layers. 

groom_k

Hi David / All

Apologies for my delayed response, 

The single carbon version uses the Baudis F3F strong layup (160g carbon outer wing skin with glass inner wing skin, carbon outer skin for the tailplane with carbon in the fuselage from the wing leading edge to the tail). 

The double carbon version uses a layup that is similar the the Baudis F3B layup (80g carbon on both the outer and inner wing skins and more carbon in the tailplane and fuselage).

BR

Keith

stewartg

Are they here yet?

Has anyone got one?

• Like 1

f3fisa
On 9/7/2017 at 11:00, stewartg said:

Are they here yet?

Has anyone got one?

Mine should be arriving next week.

David.

• Like 1

Skip

Stoked you've finally got them into production Keith!

I took this little video back in 2012.

• Like 1

oipigface

No racing tomorrow, but I haven't flown for a while so I went off to Mickey's to maiden my new Raptor. Joel and Stefan were there, and as a bonus, Keith, the Raptor's designer. He took this photo: of me with the plane, which I had set up with his suggested throws. You can't see the underside. It's yellow with matching red sine waves.

IMG_1197.thumb.jpg.e8c21e40368927702450120e9153afcf.jpg

Joel chucked it off for me. A couple of clicks of up elevator and I did some rather tentative flying around, before checking the brake setup, which needed a lot of exponential on the elevator compensation. First impressions were of a very capable aeroplane with no obvious vices. Controls are all crisp, and the simple manoeuvres that I tried were all readily executed. The brakes are very effective. The first landing was a long descent from about 100 feet, with brakes out and virtually no ground speed at all.

Second flight was more 'getting to know you'. Still not got the brake compensation right, and I should have put some ballast in. I stopped when I couldn't feel my thumbs for the cold.

Altogether a great first impression.  I think I'm going to learn a lot from this one!

• Like 3

Alibabaj

Picked up a Raptor from Keith earlier today and just finished setting it up, well, copied Keith’s Jeti program into my TX... job done! Thanks Keith, didn’t have to touch anything even the sub trim was spot on.

First impression is superb Baudis quality as you’d expect, very light wing panels with large ailerons and flaps so should have a good roll rate and at 8% will be quick. Hoping for reasonable weather this weekend to maiden, maybe in Wales on Sunday.

Fingers crossed.

02F0A197-CD64-4356-9E2A-07CFD6FE2E43.thumb.jpeg.847dc7910ea55eff758b8593f6572511.jpeg

• Like 5

Alibabaj

Well, managed to get 10 mins air time on mickies during Sunday’s F3F lunch break.

~ 15ms so filled it with ballast (all-up), checked the controls again and Dave chucked it off. She went away straight as a die no trim needed at all. After a few loops and rolls I felt quite at home, pitch and roll with Keith’s set-up was a little soft for me but it  still felt positive. Flicks both inside and outside were crisp with no signs of dropping out at the end, four points were superb, good fin area and powerful progressive rudder kept the line well.

All in all very impressed given I only had 10 mins, been tweaking tonight removing as much Expo as i can to try and keep the controls as linear  as possible, trying again Friday.

G

• Like 3