Radioglide 2017 Entry Open

Austin

• Administrators

Now in its 38th year, Radioglide will be the first organised event to take place at the BMFA National Flying Centre 27th-29th May at Buckminster near Grantham and is being held prior to the official opening in the summer. 

The field itself is huge and we will be running two flight lines each day which will allow a combined Open and 100S competition and an F5B (F3Be) event to be run on Saturday, F3K and ELG (run to the proposed new rules) on Sunday (see Bulletin) and F5J on Monday. In the Open/100s and ELG formats, a second entry is possible and this is being offered at a reduced fee to encourage participation. We are also hoping to have an introductory trial of F3RES over the weekend. For those who do not know F3RES uses 2m wingspan models launched using a bungee and is becoming very popular in some European countries. Exact details will be released on the BARCS website forum, so please keep an eye there for updates.

A traditional paper entry form accompanies the Bulletin BARCS members and renewers will have received in the post. Online entry is available.

Radioglide Entry Form 2017 Final.pdf

Click here for online entry

Updates will appear in this forum topic.

This is the second year that our AGM will be held on the Sunday evening of Radioglide, 28th May, and will be held for the first time in the new hall at the NFC.

The BARCS AGM is an important get-together and we encourage all members to come along, hear the officers’ reports, debate any change proposals and witness the award of a BARCS fellowship. There will be an opportunity to discuss the future of soaring classes in the UK.

Camping will be available on site, with toilets and running water but no hook-ups are available at this early stage in the Centre’s development. For those seeking a little more comfort, there are several Travelodge, Premier Inn and other options in the local area, the site is close to the A1 and around 20 minutes from Melton Mowbray, half an hour from Grantham.

Venue address
BMFA National Flying Centre is in Sewstern Road, Buckminster, Near Grantham,  
NG33 5RW, Coordinates 52.7792 N, 0.7066 W

• Like 1

Hi Austin, I've had a look online and can only see info for people wishing to enter. I wont be able to fly but I would like to come along and watch the F5B (F3Be) on the Saturday. I've never been to a Radioglide event before, are spectators allowed to come along?

12 hours ago, Austin said:

ELG (run to the proposed new rules) on Sunday (see Bulletin)

Where do I find the proposed new rules?

Mike

• Committee Member
PeteMitchell
33 minutes ago, Mike said:

Where do I find the proposed new rules

See here Mike:

1 minute ago, PeteMitchell said:

See here Mike:

Thanks Pete, I'd just found it, & read it with interest.

I'm fairly open minded about Wix's suggestions re: setting AMRT's, as most of us should have worked out that (say) a 25sec motor run should get  as close to 200mtrs as makes no difference...

Now it remains to be seen if BMFA esoaring league could be replaced with 'electroslot'? rules should the proposal be successful, and whether the diehard e-soaring participants would cross over... 

I have a sneaky feeling that some would persevere, & we'd still have 3 different electric launch thermalling disciplines.

Not a good thing.

Mike.

• Administrators
On 13/04/2017 at 19:18, satinet said:

Can you use a winch in open or is it dope and tissue and surgical bungee all the way?

Winches are allowed.

• Committee Member
PeteMitchell

Is it possible to book for camping via our online entree?

If there is I can't find it.........Help please:frantics:

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/04/2017 at 09:27, Austin said:

We are also hoping to have an introductory trial of F3RES over the weekend. For those who do not know F3RES uses 2m wingspan models launched using a bungee and is becoming very popular in some European countries. Exact details will be released on the BARCS website forum, so please keep an eye there for updates.

Any more news on this please? It would be handy to know which day it will be planned for at least....

Thanks,

Jon

Hi Jon, Hoping to get something up later on the F3RES. Been a little busy with work recently. We were looking doing a trial on the Saturday late afternoon after the other comps have finished.

Simon

Ok thanks Simon. Will try and support it if I can. Sat or Monday works for me but I'm at a gig on Sunday.

Jon

Wood Gnome

Hi Austin just noting a minor issue with the web site when I paid on line which shows the £5.00 discount on my second entry as per the paper booking form but when you go to check out it charges full price two lots of £10.00 which I paid anyway but assume this will get refunded to those it has overcharged. apart from that it worked great. Cheers Paul

• Administrators
32 minutes ago, Wood Gnome said:

Hi Austin just noting a minor issue with the web site when I paid on line which shows the £5.00 discount on my second entry as per the paper booking form but when you go to check out it charges full price two lots of £10.00 which I paid anyway but assume this will get refunded to those it has overcharged. apart from that it worked great. Cheers Paul

Hi Paul,

Checking your entry you ordered

1 x Radioglide ELG Entry (Sunday)

1 x Radioglide F5J Entry (Monday)

The discount is for double entry ELG only so the website is correct. "Double entry accepted. Second entry discounted to £5. Add 2 to basket for the discount to apply."

Have you ordered incorrectly and meant to have double entry for ELG?

• Like 1

Wood Gnome

Thanks Austin I see now I  assume I can go back and enter 2m if I decide to before it closes.

Thanks

• Administrators
On 2017-5-13 at 21:18, Wood Gnome said:

Thanks Austin I see now I  assume I can go back and enter 2m if I decide to before it closes.

Thanks

Yes you should be able to.

I have not flown at Buckminster Lodge or in the Radioglide competition before so am looking for a bit of advice please.

What settings to use for the Altis, do i need to change to the FAI firmware ?

What time is the pilots briefing, it will take me about two hours to get to Buckminster Lodge so trying to workout what time I need to setoff.

are there any additional costs such as car parking ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards

Richard

• Committee Member
PeteMitchell

If you are entering F5J then the firmware you use in your AMRT is your choice.The comp is being run to BMFA rules which allow both FAI firmware or a re start firmware to be used.

If you want to have a re start option, then the rules require that your height limit is set to 300mtrs

I expect more info will follow but I hope that helps