Automated Buzzer system

Sloper

Saw this today on FB, Álvaro Silgado has been developing and automated camera recognition system and has tested in La Muela F3f Comp. Very interesting.

More info on his FB page

• Like 7

Very impressive.

Assuming that I am interpreting what I see correctly, it seems that the system misses occasionally. I think it does so less frequently than other attempts at this sort of thing I've seen. It also seems sometimes to be triggered slightly late, or slightly in advance. Has Alvaro tried to assess how frequently it fails? 

Human-operated buzzers rarely fail from human error, but they are probably less accurate at fixing the time that part of the plane first crosses the line than this system appears to be.

Hi John, yes there are some 'no detections', here is what Al said along with his facebook post:

After several months working on MotCam, my development for planes motion detection, today I had a very good success testing it on a real competition. This video is a "honest" editing, I left the parts where a plane is appearing and cut the rest.

The delay on detection has fallen between 2 and 4 frames. As I was analysing 75 frames per second, the delay on detection was about 50-75 milliseconds, much faster than human reaction.

The detection is only in one direction, from right to left, ignoring passes in the opposite direction. There are some no-detections on the video, I think 4 or 5. Most of them are due to very low pass, which is not a problem since I can use more than one camera. The other are due to one of the parameters I can configure ("distance factor"), which was incorrectly set.

The cameras sends a broadcast message every time they detect a plane crossing the vertical line in the middle of the screen, which can be received by multiple devices at the same time.

More information about this very soon!!

Quite excited by this.

• Like 1