Richard Swindells

COMP - Twywell Sat 29th April 2017

35 posts in this topic

Twywell Sat 29th April 2017

Time to dust off the old models, or finish the new ones, its the first competition of the year!

We will make a special effort for all newcomers, to try to make sure that everyone has an experienced timer to help guide them through each new task.

We will also try and set a "3min all-up-last-down" timer to be running from 9am and during lunch breaks and immediately after the competition, should you want to join in at any time.

We always double check BMFA membership at the first comp, so please don't forget to renew if you have not already.

Entering the competition is easy. just reply to this thread ! 

I think entry is £10 per competitor. Late entries (after midnight on the Thursday before the event is £20) We also expect no-shows to pay the entry fee at their next event.

10AM start... aim to arrive for 9AM - If you are the first person there, please park next to the hedge in the lee of the prevailing wind. It is possible there will be sheep on the field, therefore please make sure you shut the main gate and we will herd them into the next field when more people arrive. This is a fantastic field for F3K with a very understanding farmer, please make sure that any litter you see is cleared up so that the field can continue to be used in future.

Weather check - I will check the http://www.meteoblue.com meteogram at 5pm on Friday evening. If it shows the windspeed exceeding 8ms for >3 hours OR more than 3 hours of rainfall between 10am and 5pm then the competition will be rescheduled.

Follow this link for the field, entrance at the top corner

https://goo.gl/maps/1JksakzSY8J2

For those of you looking to learn more about F3K, please come along. There also will be plenty of models to choose from should you feel tempted

Entries : -

1. Neil Harrison 
  2. Tony Beckett
  3. Martin O
  4. Les
  5. Phil P
  6. Maria
  7. Simon B
  8. Mike C
  9. Mike F
  10. Jonathan 
  11. Richard S
  12. Paul G
  13. Lorry
  14. Mike S
  15. Tom S
  16. Ferenc Paskai 
  17. Carlos
  18. Mark Evans

Martin O likes this

Hi Richard

Keen as mustard me 😜

Ill be the first to enter, please count me in.

Please include me.

Still on 35Mhz, frequency number 58.

Tony

Would like to have a go please? I will be one of the newcomers.

Put me down aswell please.

Another newbie to f3k.

I would like to join in to.

Me too...

Thanks.

Mike F,  41722,  2.4,  Please Richard.

Has there been a change to the forum permissions? I don't seem to be able to edit the original post (or add attachments to PM's)

edit: - Doh... try paying your membership richard !!! Now I can manage the thread :)

I'd like to come along too

New to F3k as well 

Jonathan - S 176780.  thanks

First timer, not looking to compete, just to learn

S 127979

Anybody coming from the Rugby / Daventry area who would be willing to give me a list?

Thanks, Paul.

Lorry on 2.4 please.

Really good to see so many entries come in this quickly!

Lets see if we can make 20 !!

Martin O likes this

Count me in please. 2.4ghz.  Great to see so many new entrants!

1 hour ago, Richard Swindells said:

Really good to see so many entries come in this quickly!

Lets see if we can make 20 !!

4 of us from Shropshire :) Seems to be the new trend here.

As newcomers we are not entirely sure what to expect. Would it be possible to outline the tasks? I presume stopwatches would be handy?

I will schedule for 8x rounds, and pick the easier tasks ones to understand. (no poker round, which will be a relief to everyone)

3x3

all-up last down

last flight

5x2

big ladder

last 2 flights

all-up last-down - (no helper, if there is general agreement from the pilots.)

The best tasks to practice, to get you a "feel" of how to approach F3K are

5x2 - To practice, just set a constant 2min rolling timer. Force yourself to land before the end of the 2mins and get back in the air as quick as you can. This will teach you to not waste time and also how to re-centre lift that you might have found on the previous flight. Quite often I will spend 30 minutes non-stop practicing this.

1,2,3 min max in 6 minutes. (fly in any order)

Needs a timer, either on your TX or use a real person. Helps you start to predict the length of each flight and to start calculating permutations of what flight times you might acheive

For example you might be 50 seconds into the first flight, and at about 20m altitude.. do you come in now and land at 1 minute? or do you push to extend the flight to 2-mins, knowing if you only get 1:30 then you have effectively wasted 30 seconds of the available flight -time.

F3K is a tactical competition. Rather than just achieving long flight times, start to think of each flight as needing you to prove you have touched lift... then land and re-launch.

Although the duration challenges on this forum are great fun, they don't really teach you anything about f3k.

Martin O likes this

In hindsight, with a large number of newcomers and a decent size entry list, I will reduce the number of rounds to 6 and fly 3 groups in each round (usually we just fly 2x groups in each round)

This means that there will always be a surplus of timers, and pilots should get plenty of opportunity to observe.

When you arrive at the field (aim to get there for about 9am), you are welcome to start practicing right away, you should be aware that there might be other pilots milling about randomly on the field and also the CD setting up the equipment and marking the perimeter of the "launch/landing" area. (although you are free to launch/land outside this area during practice times.)

There is no pegboard and pilots on 35mHz are responsible for ensuring they are not clashing with anyone else's frequency.

from about 9:30am, you will have someone come and ask you for the entry fee and to check you have your BMFA insurance (or covering letter) to hand.

at 10am we will announce the pilots briefing, this is fairly informal. we will make sure that everyone knows who the new and experienced pilots are, so that you know who to ask for advice. (Most people who fly F3K seem to be called mike... if you are not sure of someone's name, calling them Mike has a fair chance of success)

We will try our hardest to make sure newcomers are paired with more experience pilots in the first few rounds.

Don't worry about rule infringements too much. Although we are strict applying penalties to the more experienced guys, we are not going to be spoiling any newcomers fun, however if you do find that you are starting to get nervous landing/launching in close proximity to other pilots, then try and find a quieter area of the launch/land box (I will make this extra big)

There will be a break for lunch, where you are welcome to carry on flying or join in the chat.

F3K is a little different to some other disciplines, in that there are not any "teams". this means that pilots tend to mix much more, so you will not feel side-lined at all. Don't feel worried if you mid-air with someone, or accidentally get in their way.. these things happen often in F3K. If there is any damage to models, people are more interested in peeking inside them or discussing how to repair than worrying about who to blame.

Martin O, thechalster, Phil C and 1 other like this

I'll enter if it's not too late.

Tom Satinet 2.4 ghz

thechalster likes this