mojonaut

Omega/Highlight/Nelly models

mojonaut

Hi

Does anyone remember these? originally bought from West London Models I have both the 1.8m electric and glider variants but have lost (stolen) the canopies.

I'd like to get back into flying them after a long absence from the hobby but sourcing canopies is proving to be a problem. Are they still made under a different brand maybe? my Google searches haven't thrown up much. I think they may have been produced in Czech and imported but no one seems to be listing them anymore, shame as they were really light and strong models.

Failing purchase of canopies are there any diy alternatives techniques? thinking maybe a plastic coke bottle could be shaped with scissors and hot air gun? any good tutorials for that?

thanks

highlight.jpg

Highlight glider_1.JPG

Austin

These were produced by NAN Model originally. So try NAN Model dealers apart from Acemodel. I do have a couple of tails somewhere for those models but no canopies.

You could carve something from balsa and make a small mould?

pete beadle

Hi Mojonaut

When I lost mine, I used my other Highlight canopy as a pattern to make another one.....

I turned it upside down, "stuck" it to the bench with Blu-tac, placed a piece of cling film over it, then cut an oversize oblong of 50 gsm woven glass, wetted it out, and pushed the wetted cloth into place into the canopy, covered that by pressing some cling film into place, then laid four or five strips of car wheel balance weights in the canopy underside to press the wetted GF into the canopy itself and conform to the underside curve......when the resin dried out I pulled the "new canopy" out of its "mould" and trimmed it about 2-3mm oversize with a rotary cutter 

So, do you know anyone that could lend you a canopy for a day or two, so you could make one?

You can also do this using the outside of the canopy as the mould.....comes out much the same......not pretty, but it works.....probably a good idea to make another one, as a spare too.......oh, and paint the "spare" pink or orange so you can find it easily the next time it falls off

Austin's suggestion is very probably quicker though

Good luck

Pete

BARCS1702

mojonaut

Pete/Austin

Thanks for the info guys, appreciated.

mojonaut

When you hoard too much stuff, just having a sort through some tubes which I thought just contained piano wire, carbon rod, snakes etc and in amongst was a spare glider fuz I'd forgotten all about. I now remember buying it from the Oadby soaring market as a spare years ago then promptly forgot it, so I'm ok for the glider version :)

CIMG4052.jpg

• Like 2

BikerDon

Mojonaut - I came across your post while looking for some info on a glider that I have just acquired from the estate of a good flying friend of mine that passed away recently.

I have no info or documentation on the glider so have been Googling for England :D

It appears I have a Nan Models Highlight. It is 1.8m wingspan with (sadly) rudder/elevator control. It has an outrunner motor installed but no prop, servos are fitted too but that's all. It looks almost identical to the one in your top picture. The wing panel colours are in a different order but that's the only diff I can see.

I found what looks like a better option for the motor among the boxes, picture attached.

What I don't have is the setup instructions so could you tell me what the CoG location, throws, recommended motor/prop & ESC amps are.

DSC_0394.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

Munch197

This is a massive longshot but don't suppose any of you have spare tails, fuselages etc? 

Or even better a whole model you'd like to part with?

satinet

There was one on eBay. Might still be on there.

satinet

They were pretty popular at my slope club a few years back. Certainly one of the best models of its type.  The tails were pretty fragile but the weight was low.

• Like 2

SteveH
9 hours ago, Munch197 said:

This is a massive longshot but don't suppose any of you have spare tails, fuselages etc? 

Or even better a whole model you'd like to part with?

PM sent

• Thanks 1

mojonaut
On 10/01/2018 at 23:40, BikerDon said:

What I don't have is the setup instructions so could you tell me what the CoG location, throws, recommended motor/prop & ESC amps are.

DSC_0002.JPG

That is the same motor I am using, I initially set the CG up on the spar then added movable tail weight  making test flights and moving until it just became too sensitive on the elevator then backed it off a little. I found it then only needed a few mm throw on the elevator but liked as much as I could give it for rudder.

mojonaut
On 20/01/2018 at 10:15, AnthonyB said:

I like my 2.5m version also known as a Magellan-E XL. As sold by ........  http://www.icare-rc.com/magellan_e-xl.htm

Magellan.JPG

I have that same wing bought as a 1.8m 'Speed Wing' I then came across a guy in Australia selling the center wing panel. Bought one but never got around to using it.

Do you have any close up photo's of the center panel servo installation and connectors used for the outer panels?

AnthonyB

The centre panel should have got flaps, but the edging would look wrong. In the end I added spoilers. I fly it 1.8m and 2.5. For 1.8m the servo leads just plug into extensions. At 2.5 there are extensions that run straight through for ailerons. For the 2 spoiler servos I have used a 4 pin plug = saves confusion.

MagCent.thumb.JPG.dc40a20e84f14e5a89d764dd366ad776.JPG

mojonaut
50 minutes ago, AnthonyB said:

The centre panel should have got flaps, but the edging would look wrong. In the end I added spoilers. I fly it 1.8m and 2.5. For 1.8m the servo leads just plug into extensions. At 2.5 there are extensions that run straight through for ailerons. For the 2 spoiler servos I have used a 4 pin plug = saves confusion.

MagCent.thumb.JPG.dc40a20e84f14e5a89d764dd366ad776.JPG

50 minutes ago, AnthonyB said:

Mine is slightly different, it has the back edge cut out to allow for the flaps which were supplied (film covered balsa).

There doesn't seem enough depth for a standard jr/fut extension plug/socket unless you also remove material from the original wing panels, is that what you had to do?

P1020578.JPG

P1020577.JPG

BikerDon
3 hours ago, mojonaut said:

That is the same motor I am using, I initially set the CG up on the spar then added movable tail weight  making test flights and moving until it just became too sensitive on the elevator then backed it off a little. I found it then only needed a few mm throw on the elevator but liked as much as I could give it for rudder.

Brilliant! Thanks Mojonaut.

What ESC and LiPo are you using? - they can't be very big as it's a very slim fuselage isn't it?

BikerDon
4 hours ago, mojonaut said:

Are you using that motor in the 1.8m or the 2.5m version?

AnthonyB

Yes I did have to open out the hole on the centre section. When you plug it in, I push the plug and socket into the centre.

• Like 1

mojonaut
14 hours ago, BikerDon said:

Brilliant! Thanks Mojonaut.

What ESC and LiPo are you using? - they can't be very big as it's a very slim fuselage isn't it?

P1020581.JPG.7aaca61bed282ad5fb035f9ca541e731.JPG

P1020580.JPG.adeb68922a5bdcf36baedebd005ba2dc.JPGP1020579.JPG.5b167662bd3bf4317b0d2cf3a4700813.JPG

Quickly took these pic this morning,  had been messing with receiver, model doesn't usually have a servo lead wrapped around the horn :)

ESC is velcro'd to the side wall allows room for a 3S 1500mA LiPo, I recently changed the prop from an Aeronaut to the Cam 11-6 amazing increase in performance and get near vertical climb out on 3/4 throttle.

I haven't used the extension wing panel yet, so fly mostly rudd/elv with the 1.8 polyhedral wing it is just lovely to fly, so light and responsive for flat field thermalling.

AnthonyB

I was going to use the longest 28mm outrunner I have (3oz), in the end it will balance with a 2216-1400kv at 2.5oz.  The battery is a 1000-2S and the esc is 20A Bl-Heli (10g)..... The largest part of this esc is the electrolytic I added. All was put in before test flights, to get C of G where I thought it should be. As it happens I could go with about 750-2S. There is no BEC because it all runs at pack voltage (hence big low esr cap). Climb on 10 x 5 is reasonable, about 4 runs to 175m. This is by far the largest nose, to get gear in, I have.

HighL.thumb.JPG.52a796c0864e5c6b9fd3679b014393b3.JPG