Omega/Highlight/Nelly models

mojonaut

Hi

Does anyone remember these? originally bought from West London Models I have both the 1.8m electric and glider variants but have lost (stolen) the canopies.

I'd like to get back into flying them after a long absence from the hobby but sourcing canopies is proving to be a problem. Are they still made under a different brand maybe? my Google searches haven't thrown up much. I think they may have been produced in Czech and imported but no one seems to be listing them anymore, shame as they were really light and strong models.

Failing purchase of canopies are there any diy alternatives techniques? thinking maybe a plastic coke bottle could be shaped with scissors and hot air gun? any good tutorials for that?

thanks

highlight.jpg

Highlight glider_1.JPG

• Administrators

These were produced by NAN Model originally. So try NAN Model dealers apart from Acemodel. I do have a couple of tails somewhere for those models but no canopies.

You could carve something from balsa and make a small mould?

When you hoard too much stuff, just having a sort through some tubes which I thought just contained piano wire, carbon rod, snakes etc and in amongst was a spare glider fuz I'd forgotten all about. I now remember buying it from the Oadby soaring market as a spare years ago then promptly forgot it, so I'm ok for the glider version :)

CIMG4052.jpg

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Mojonaut - I came across your post while looking for some info on a glider that I have just acquired from the estate of a good flying friend of mine that passed away recently.

I have no info or documentation on the glider so have been Googling for England :D

It appears I have a Nan Models Highlight. It is 1.8m wingspan with (sadly) rudder/elevator control. It has an outrunner motor installed but no prop, servos are fitted too but that's all. It looks almost identical to the one in your top picture. The wing panel colours are in a different order but that's the only diff I can see.

I found what looks like a better option for the motor among the boxes, picture attached.

What I don't have is the setup instructions so could you tell me what the CoG location, throws, recommended motor/prop & ESC amps are.

DSC_0394.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

This is a massive longshot but don't suppose any of you have spare tails, fuselages etc? 

Or even better a whole model you'd like to part with?

They were pretty popular at my slope club a few years back. Certainly one of the best models of its type.  The tails were pretty fragile but the weight was low.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Munch197 said:

This is a massive longshot but don't suppose any of you have spare tails, fuselages etc? 

Or even better a whole model you'd like to part with?

PM sent

• Thanks 1

On 10/01/2018 at 23:40, BikerDon said:

What I don't have is the setup instructions so could you tell me what the CoG location, throws, recommended motor/prop & ESC amps are.

DSC_0002.JPG

That is the same motor I am using, I initially set the CG up on the spar then added movable tail weight  making test flights and moving until it just became too sensitive on the elevator then backed it off a little. I found it then only needed a few mm throw on the elevator but liked as much as I could give it for rudder.

On 20/01/2018 at 10:15, AnthonyB said:

I like my 2.5m version also known as a Magellan-E XL. As sold by ........  http://www.icare-rc.com/magellan_e-xl.htm

Magellan.JPG

I have that same wing bought as a 1.8m 'Speed Wing' I then came across a guy in Australia selling the center wing panel. Bought one but never got around to using it.

Do you have any close up photo's of the center panel servo installation and connectors used for the outer panels?

The centre panel should have got flaps, but the edging would look wrong. In the end I added spoilers. I fly it 1.8m and 2.5. For 1.8m the servo leads just plug into extensions. At 2.5 there are extensions that run straight through for ailerons. For the 2 spoiler servos I have used a 4 pin plug = saves confusion.

MagCent.thumb.JPG.dc40a20e84f14e5a89d764dd366ad776.JPG

50 minutes ago, AnthonyB said:

The centre panel should have got flaps, but the edging would look wrong. In the end I added spoilers. I fly it 1.8m and 2.5. For 1.8m the servo leads just plug into extensions. At 2.5 there are extensions that run straight through for ailerons. For the 2 spoiler servos I have used a 4 pin plug = saves confusion.

MagCent.thumb.JPG.dc40a20e84f14e5a89d764dd366ad776.JPG

50 minutes ago, AnthonyB said:

Mine is slightly different, it has the back edge cut out to allow for the flaps which were supplied (film covered balsa).

There doesn't seem enough depth for a standard jr/fut extension plug/socket unless you also remove material from the original wing panels, is that what you had to do?

P1020578.JPG

P1020577.JPG

3 hours ago, mojonaut said:

That is the same motor I am using, I initially set the CG up on the spar then added movable tail weight  making test flights and moving until it just became too sensitive on the elevator then backed it off a little. I found it then only needed a few mm throw on the elevator but liked as much as I could give it for rudder.

Brilliant! Thanks Mojonaut.

What ESC and LiPo are you using? - they can't be very big as it's a very slim fuselage isn't it?

4 hours ago, mojonaut said:

Are you using that motor in the 1.8m or the 2.5m version?

14 hours ago, BikerDon said:

Brilliant! Thanks Mojonaut.

What ESC and LiPo are you using? - they can't be very big as it's a very slim fuselage isn't it?

P1020581.JPG.7aaca61bed282ad5fb035f9ca541e731.JPG

P1020580.JPG.adeb68922a5bdcf36baedebd005ba2dc.JPGP1020579.JPG.5b167662bd3bf4317b0d2cf3a4700813.JPG

Quickly took these pic this morning,  had been messing with receiver, model doesn't usually have a servo lead wrapped around the horn :)

ESC is velcro'd to the side wall allows room for a 3S 1500mA LiPo, I recently changed the prop from an Aeronaut to the Cam 11-6 amazing increase in performance and get near vertical climb out on 3/4 throttle.

I haven't used the extension wing panel yet, so fly mostly rudd/elv with the 1.8 polyhedral wing it is just lovely to fly, so light and responsive for flat field thermalling.

I was going to use the longest 28mm outrunner I have (3oz), in the end it will balance with a 2216-1400kv at 2.5oz.  The battery is a 1000-2S and the esc is 20A Bl-Heli (10g)..... The largest part of this esc is the electrolytic I added. All was put in before test flights, to get C of G where I thought it should be. As it happens I could go with about 750-2S. There is no BEC because it all runs at pack voltage (hence big low esr cap). Climb on 10 x 5 is reasonable, about 4 runs to 175m. This is by far the largest nose, to get gear in, I have.

HighL.thumb.JPG.52a796c0864e5c6b9fd3679b014393b3.JPG

Unsure if this is any use to any of you but upon my search for a set of original highlight speed wings I've came across this. 

These look near identical to the highlight bar the bagged depron tails. Even with an option for carbon Kevlar fuselages. I'd even go as far to stay they're the from the same moulds.