Omega/Highlight/Nelly models

mojonaut

the one with the full span aileron flew well from memories of club  mates' models. Although the one i've seen had a thin carbon/kevlar fuselage.

As I recall they could float with the real floaters but you had the aerobatics of the ailerons on the way down. 

• Like 1

Munch, that is a brilliant find.

Someone said they were originally made by Nan (Bulgaria) this is also in Bulgaria - perhaps they got all the tooling.

Here is a flight from yesterday with my 2.5m one. Very cold and still air with mist about.

The first part was with a small droop on full width ailerons. The second with them back up.

The first was -0.37m/sec................... ?????

High2Jan20.thumb.jpg.320cbed3b21645aca79ec3f2b3d7c7e7.jpg

This is what I am in attempt to find is the full length aileron speed wing for my electric speed fuselage. 

Pete - get that little nelly out the loft and get it flown. These are magnificent in light conditions.

I agree the 2.5m span one looks very appealing, it's a shame they have gel coated the fuselages and not displayed the weave of the carbon. 

Owning to the free postage to the EU over a prescribed amount I feel an order is almost obligatory. 

Correct Anthony they were Bulgarian design by a fella called Nikolay Nikolov and then manufactured by nan models. Owning to me being in Bulgaria in August and staying just 90km down the road I have visit on my way past to Beklemeto pass. 

• 1 year later...
NigelEssence

Been away for many years, I picked up as much highlight stuff as i could reasonably do from a basket at west London when I found out they were no longer being made, I knew I would wreck a few on my way to gaining skills.

CG on instructions say 67 mm from LE.

I have a couple of spare fuselages and some spare wings. Based in London.

Currently getting one ready to fly, a few years ago it took a nose dive onto tarmac, my suspicion was RC cars being driven, but more likely was my flying skills.

My spares won;t be spares for long, given my flying skills.

There is one stuck in trees south of Epsom downs, I could never find it, I hadn't realised that a bit of down elevator may be prudent when under power, it just kept on stalling and being pushed downwind.

My instructions say rudder 12 mm each way and elevator 6 mm each way, but that doesn't make much sense as it is a vtail.

I use a geared hacker B20 and 2s battery.

Way back in about 1971 I built a streeeeteched Inchworm and put a 0.75 cc diesel on top, it flew for ever. But coming in to land, my design skills hadn't taken into account the need for thicker spars with increased wing length, so the wings elegantly folded on the way down. Great dethermalizer.

On 21/01/2019 at 07:53, Munch197 said:

Unsure if this is any use to any of you but upon my search for a set of original highlight speed wings I've came across this. 

These look near identical to the highlight bar the bagged depron tails. Even with an option for carbon Kevlar fuselages. I'd even go as far to stay they're the from the same moulds. 

Munch

Looks like the details or links to the models you found have been lost from your post. Don't suppose you remember what they were do you please?

5 hours ago, NigelEssence said:

[SNIP]

My instructions say rudder 12 mm each way and elevator 6 mm each way, but that doesn't make much sense as it is a vtail.

[SNIP]

You will need to set up a V-tail mix on your transmitter. When you move the rudder stick both 'ruddervators' move left and right like 2 rudders - adjust the throw to 12mm each way. When you move the elevator stick they both move up or down - adjust this throw to 6mm each way

Best explanation I've seen can be found here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SftKo1QH4Do

5 hours ago, NigelEssence said:

so the wings elegantly folded on the way down. Great dethermalizer.

Haha, brilliant!

The wing joiner is missing from my Highlight - what is yours made from and what size is it (length/diameter)?

Thanks in advance

9 hours ago, BikerDon said:

Munch

Looks like the details or links to the models you found have been lost from your post. Don't suppose you remember what they were do you please?

Hello,

it's www.graphite13.com

Your wing joiner is 5 or 6mm solid Carbon depending on which wings they're for. Cheap enough to get both and measure out how far they go in both sides and cut to suit. 

Ta

• 1 year later...

Hi all, having seen this post somebody mentioned they may have a tail ?  If so I would be interested as I have a Hi light speed with a damaged tail !

also dose anyone know what the material is of which it is made from.

many thanks simon