3D Printed Aircraft

Bobbyr

I wanted a 3D Printer , so asked a more experienced Fellow which was the best for my Needs , Well Rusty Knee (Stew) advised me to take a look at the Anet A8 3d Printer Kit ,

Comes as a box of bits that you bolt ,screw and fit together to build a 3d Printer , Well I took his advise , Bought 1 , Built it and Printed a few odds and sods to start with , and this as a first attempt at a Plane,

Its a Spitfire  MK XVI , and hopefully will make a nice PSSA Glider , always wanted a Spitty , but cant be doing with all that noise , course it will look different when I get round to painting it .

Just thought I would see what you guys thought about Printing your Own Kits ? I think it will be the way Forward myself . 

Bob

spity.thumb.jpg.3909c4ff891a420b219a5cda6ce5dc70.jpg

• Like 4

It is really cool Martin , and extremely clever to see how it prints.

the company who designs the planes are called 3dlabprints (https://3dlabprint.com/shop/),

Although my spitfire came as a free file for the printer ,it would cost $20 dollars, which is not expensive for the models files he sells , not sure how they will go as PSSA planes , but I think the weight of this spitty without radio kit in is going to be fine ,(ive built heavier models like  a Middle phase) Wingspan is 973mm so nearly 1 meter

best thing is if it breaks you print another , I guess I have about £10 or so of filament in the model , but you couldn't buy balsa and plans for that price ,

That's why I feel its the future of Aero modelling , the way the wings are made is totally Amazing , and would lend itself totally to a DLG models wings . I use a material that's called PLA to print with , and I would say its as strong as Balsa , so not as durable as foam . but keep watching this space , I will finish it and see if this Spitfire fly's half as good as it looks

Bob

• Like 2

Hi Bob

That looks really great. Something I can't get my head around though is that seems too big to be printed by most printers (not sure how big yours can print) so does it print a section and then it gets joined? 

Brett 

Hi Bob 

I just answered my own question. When I first clicked your link I didn't actually go into any of the model designs. I just tried now and it looks really interesting. Spitfire has about 36 pieces that fit together and it looks like the hinges are all designed in. Not bad for the price. 

Brett 

• Like 1

Sorry Brett , Your correct ,

The Parts are all Printed and Super glued together , The Structure after gluing is stronger than you would imagine , all the strengthening throughout (Spars, Ribs) is as shown on this picture, and they all line up perfectly , I'm not saying that its as easy as all that , I have had to print a few bits again because of warping  , and had to fettle parts a little bit .Its worth watching the build video to see how the system works , oh and all the weights are on the parts picture , about 288g over all , although I have a spinner and exhausts on mine so it will be a few grams more.

Spit_parts.jpg

Anet a8.jpg

This is the Printer that its Printed On , Its an Anet A8

as I said , it was a kit and every screw, bolt and wire needs fitting , but the video of how to build was easy to follow.

Bob

• Like 3

Good Question Darren ,

From my research , Automotive Primer will stick well to PLA plastic , then any paint should stick to the primer .:bye:

I have also seen that acrylics are fine with PLA , But to be very honest , Its my first project ,

I am just hoping it will be fine , in fact I'm sure it will be :)    

But will keep you all up to date ,

I bought a clear filament , but could have gone with any colour , Just I think the clear would disappear quickly in the air .

My thinking is it would be nice to get a nice scale looking Slope glider out of it   

Bob     

Thanks for the kind offer m8 :D,

I'm thinking that a more forgiving slope will do for its maiden Phil, but as soon as I know for sure , that it will in fact fly , and be controllable , your on m8 . 

I don't want to sound negative over it , but because I have not seen any of 3dlabprint models fly as gliders , and I have seen them fly as power models , its a bit of an unknown quantity as a slope model to be honest :cry:. I also see how much weight is upfront having a motor ESC and a 3/4 cell Lipo to balance , I'm not going to put an elevator servo in the tail socket , I'm going to run snakes to the elevator to keep as much weight up front as possible.

Don't get me wrong , I can honestly say its strong enough , and light enough from experience  , but just not very sure how the overall airframe will react to slope lift , I'm thinking it will be twitchy , and chucking it off Portland cliffs as a test would maybe not be the right thing to do in this instance , Maybe Maiden castle for a first flight . a bit more sedate , haha 

Then anywhere , once I know what to expect from it .

Thanks for the offer though Phil :)

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

NO , unfortunately not yet ,

still in Paint shop at the moment < acrylic paints turned up today :D ,

I have given the whole plane an Undercoat of white Car Primer except the cockpit glass , Now I will paint it so it looks like a spitfire , and then bung some kit in , see how it goes .

I will get back as soon as its ready to fly , But I have other Chores that need my attention :bye: stupid trees and garden 

Thanks for asking though

Bob

Needs a few coats of paint to cover ,

So to anyone who tries , don't paint it with white primer  , Big mistake , Doh

Bob

Well done, hope it works.

This thread made me look into the possibilities and after a few Youtube vids I have ordered a Tronxy X8 kit from Gearbest - £135 delivered from China. Can't wait! 

• Like 1

I started this thread to help people decide if the low investment was worth it ,

I was thinking how much the spitfire cost to make , and the Filament was in the region of £17 for 1 kg , there is about £10 in this model after a couple of mess ups .  the 3D printer was £135

Total outlay is £150 ish , and a few hours putting together the printer .

I honestly think you would pay £100 for a spitfire kit , and if you broke something , you would have to replace it .

Me,  I can print another , or buy another model to print  for the cost of a good Plan and build materials ie, Foam wings and balsa .

It really is a no brainer to be fair , but some may see a big negative , I hope it works out for you and you new 3D printer Redbird , feel free to post your results and findings within this thread ,

Bob

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Small Update on the paintwork to anyone interested

, Not far off being finished with the paint , It took a lot more paint than expected to be honest.

Oh well we live and learn

spit4.jpg

• Like 3

Oh , I also have some decals on the way,

So wont look to bad , just gotta hope it fly's ok  hahaha

Bob

Airframe at the moment is 640 grams mark ,

That's painted without servo's, :cry:

Theoretically Mate , with 3 x 9 g servo's and a 1200 mah 2's Lipo with esc , and the Nose weight to counter balance the tail  , I estimate that it will be 800 to 850 grams , I hope its lower , as soon as I bung all the kit in , I will post the overall weight . I am confident that a 980 mm wingspan should be ok at that weight ,

Wing area: 16.8 dm2

Wing loading: 50.1 g/dm2

Might have to move fast though to keep it in the air , I think the stall speed is about 30kph , I am trying to get that lower by not putting elevator servo in the tail , so it wont need counter balance as much , As a power set up its flying weight

Takeoff weight (6s 1300 lipo): 840g

Max takeoff weight: 1100g

Remember though , this wont have no fan on the front :bye:

Should be ok Though

Bob

• Like 1