3D Printed Aircraft

Bobbyr

On 19/05/2017 at 17:45, Bobbyr said:

.. but some may see a big negative ..

I think you've found the big negative, Bob. It's not very light.

On the other hand, it looks good, and I would imagine that if you had the energy (and the g-code!) you could print scale detail on it, and add virtually no weight. I expect, too, that there are ways in which the structure can be modified to save quite a lot of weight. There are optimising computer algorithms now, which will design components to save materials, or weight, or printing time. They tend to produce structures that look a bit like tree roots, rather than I-beams with circular holes in (which seems to be what you've got). The bridge they printed in Amsterdam was produced in this way.

Can your printer handle any lighter materials than the stuff you used?

Another way forward may be to scale it up!

• Like 1

I agree John  ,

Its the 1 dilemma I have thought all along making it into a Glider tbh , but if the power version is ok up to 1.1kg ,  I was hoping I would be able to keep the weight down to less than 850 grams that's about a 24 % saving on the weight , and by my reckoning , I think it may take to the air , I am however worried about flight speed , which the 3dlabprint info says 30kph stall speed with power !! ,

So the plan is ,  if I can get it up in a 20+ mph wind on the slope I believe it will fly , The real problem I believe is getting it down , at such a stall speed getting it down at 30kph without it dropping a wing may just be more than a ch ink in the armour , it really is an experiment , I am sure the structure of the build is the lightest it could be without compromising strength ,all the ribs/spars do have holes like Westok beams as you say mate, and I don't think painting it has done to much in the way of adding weight.

It really is going to be a have to see job :bye:, I have seen stuff fly that I thought would never stay up , and I have seen stuff fall like a stone that I thought would fly really well .  my experience and feel of this model says to me it will fly , that same experience says it might only be once though hahaha.

I will try and get it up in the next month or so , and then we will see ,

but I still think the design is fantastic , its my fault that I wanted a glider out of an Airfix model Spitfire  :D

I have used PLA to print it with , I am sure my printer can use different filaments, just not sure of weight saving against structural strength as PLA seems to be recommended for these Aircraft . so don't know to be honest John

Bob

• Like 1

It'll fly like dream in a blow I bet. 

I am printing right now the Spitfire right wing test piece from Thingiverse, it's looking good. A few hours in and there is only a couple of inches - but I have not had to do anything except marvel at it. 

• Like 1

I'm glad your printer arrived safe Redbird , and you have constructed it without any problems.:D

Also glad its printing well , and hope you have enough filament hahaha , you will run out pretty quick if you start printing a spitfire .

Pleased for you though mate , good luck

Bob 

Thank you Bob, not without a few problems but pretty smoothly really. The test piece warped off the bed at trailing edge and the printing slowed greatly towards the end, which did not complete because I accidentally knocked it free off the bed! I will learn. 

I reckon to make the Easymax glider first and see how you get on with flying yours. 

Cheers. 

ok , there is a setting in Cura , called SUPPORT / Platform adhesion type and you highlight Brim , this puts a flange around the bottom of the object being printed , I had the warping problem myself ,

I bought a Borosilicate glass plate and increased bed temp to 65 , improved prints no end , and far less warping .also print speeds are very effective at making warping less of a problem . worth investigating m8 , cos now you built it , you will get better results by researching 3d print quality , I still get a few spider web threads , but I can live with them to be honest .

Good luck on the glider , I will have a look at that 1 next myself , I think it will make a better slope flyer than the power models

Bob

Thanks for that Bob, I have bought hairspray, pulled the glass from a picture frame and will give it a try, but one thing bothers me a bit. Is there much point in keeping bed temp high after the first few layers? I think 3dlabprint recommended 70deg, that's what I used. 

well I think the warping happens when the bottom is cooler than the part that's being printed , it only ever warps up !

But as with most things like this  mate ,  you will have to experiment a bit and see what fits your machine 

I am not sure if picture frame glass is heat resistant , but you never know .

Bob

Yep, been experimenting, glass and Prittstick is perfect for the bed and temperatures sorted at 200 and 65/50. Have very good parts now for the Proteus glider (1130mm wing with tip fins on Thingiverse). Love the clear PLA wings. About another ten hours will give me the wing roots. Hope to fly it Sunday. 

All parts made, ready for fitting out.

P1030603.JPG

P1030605.JPG

Edited by Redbird
Added photos
  • Like 1

I am really pleased for you m8 ,

Get some pictures up , and hope all goes well on Sunday . Im sure it will be fine

Bob 

Well decals arrived , but a bit big , had to adjust them a bit , also no tail decals , so complained and they will send me a new set with the tail Decals this time.

anyway I think its starting to look better .spit2.thumb.jpg.9db3937174677e405381c9661c9f894f.jpgspit1.thumb.jpg.814a7140338c1a5816040ca1d0697278.jpg

I have a few warning decals to stick on yet but as a 3d printed model , I am happy with it .  Now for the Kit out

Bob

• Like 3

Nice Print Redbird,

I downloaded it a while ago , I will have to print 1 up as well , looks good though , and I hope the fit out is nice and simple , Now , what do you think a kit like that would cost , take the cost of the printer into account , and its a deffo no brainer imho.

What was the finished weight ?

Bob

chiloschista

Hi ensemble,

just discovered this thread.

I've printed those already, but still not flew them.

The big question is powered or PSS? An estimation shows that it requires a lot of weight in front, so putting a motor makes it the same.

About weight, well that's a good weight for a real PSS, equal efficiency. It will be fast!

The design is incredibly well done. This guy seems a real expert at CAD. I can't imagine where one could spare weight without sacrificing structure strength. Of course printing has to be set correctly. My first, rough printing estimation was the double of the final weight.

I should just put in an RC system and chuck it from a slope, but am desperately trying to finish the RedAcro first, as this is priority.

Ric

• Like 1

Thanks Bob. Balancing on the marks at 570gms.with 55gms lead added. 1200mah 1s, V8R4-II Rx. 7.5gm servos.

Off to fly.

• Like 1

Thanks Ric ,

That's what I was saying to John (oipigface), Incredible Design on the 3DLabprint models , but the weight makes it a bit of a worry with a 30kph stall speed.

I agree you couldn't change the design without a compromise in strength . I will get some radio kit in my spitfire over next couple of weeks , then get a good blow to try it in , I will be using a larger  Lipo , maybe 2200 Mah 3's and stick it in the battery slot with an ESC for BEC , also I am putting the servo for elevator in the front so will allow for less Lead to balance, and although I think I will start with the balance point on the wing markings, it does seem very far forward , which makes an easy flyable result for a power plane , but I do believe it will be a little more aft for a glider , Again ,it will be a wait and see .

Good luck with the maiden Redbird , that weight seems great for a wing ;), just no hard landings , get it down in some long grass :)

Bob

Flies great! just need to keep the speed up for manoeuvres or it will spin.

Youtube vid of mine here. There are others.

• Like 3

very well done ,

Looks awesome

Bob

2 minutes ago, Bobbyr said:

very well done ,

Looks awesome

Bob

Thank you, I'll accept that but real praise due to the NZ designer 'spinorkit' of course. Several flights including spins down into gorse, with zero damage at end of day.