Sign in to follow this  
Andy Shutt

Hello From Leeds

Andy Shutt

Well, this is my first post on the site, so a little about myself, I have been flying for 43 years, firstly with free flight, then control line and then onto 2 channel radio via a MacGregor DigiMax II, (blue brushed anodized case), after learning to fly radio and how to trim an airframe I then moved up to a Futaba M Series 6 channel and graduated to low wing sports powered models, all this time I was reliant on my father to take me to flying sites so the slopes were then out of reach, eventually I passed my car test and saved for a car, a modest Vauxhall Cavalier, so with my own transport I put together a Phase 6 and a Solent Sailplanes Ridge Racer and headed out to such slopes as Tinkers, Baildon, Filey and one or two lesser known slopes around Yorkshire, all great fun. On the power side I started to compete at F3A aerobatics and later in the early IMAC UK events. At this stage I also married my long term partner and soon my first son arrived, I kept on flying both power and slope but the pull of the family reduced my flying sessions dramatically, after my second son arrived the family pull became too strong so I decided to give up model flying, this was around 1995. I came back to model flying when I saw a small sports electric model in a local field, so a trip to the model shop and £ 400 lighter I came away with a mid size sports electric model, the intention was just to fly as and when work and family commitments allowed and I swore I would not want to go any bigger or faster, well that lasted until the end of the first flight, within a week I have a 3W 50cc on order along with a nice Glenn's Models Sukhoi SU-26. Since then I have flown large aerobatic models and eventually jet turbine models.

In January 2016, we had a water leak in the loft, I got up into the loft to find the cause of the leak but instead found my old Phase 6 and Ridge Racer, both a bit worn and battered and also suffering the worst of been stored in a loft in extremes of both heat and cold. I took the models down and cleaned them up, leaving the old Futaba servos in and only replacing the RX and battery I headed for Baildon Moor, what resulted was the urge to fly more slope flying.

So I have now acquired a number of slope models and looking forward to flying on the best slopes the UK has to offer.

A couple of photos attached of my aeros and turbine models,

I look forward to meeting members on the slopes up and down the UK in the coming months.

Andy

IMG_2926.JPG

IMG_2538.JPG

IMG_0424.JPG

IMG_0371.JPG

IMG_0161.JPG

• Like 1

Dave Elam

Welcome to the forum Andy and good to hear you've rediscovered the joy of slope soaring.

I'm in the Huddersfield club so our paths may well have crossed in the distant past especially as you say you flew at Tinkers. Unfortunately we don't now have that wonderful site (don't ask!) but there is still a very active slope group within the club and we have a variety of other slopes that we have private use of.

If you ever fancy coming over this way then get in touch and i'm sure something can be arranged.

Dave

Andy Shutt

Hello Dave,

No doubt that our paths have crossed in the distant past, I met a lot of people while slope soaring but I fail to recall most of them, I fly with a couple of people from the Huddersfield Club, Tim (Chairman) and Jim Ward (both through jets), I heard about Tinkers, it was a shame bit it does happen, I may be at the Hudds Club Fly In but will be flying classic F3A Aerobatics.

I have joined the Marsden Moor group so hopefully I will be at Nonts Sarahs in the near future.

Regards,

Andy

pete beadle

Hi Andy

Welcome to the forum

Avery comprehensive "CV" and just what we want to hear:D

Put your pin in our members map, and have a look at whoever is near you - never know, it may be someone you remember

Lovely jets.......perhaps we could tempt you with some slightly smaller :yes: PSS - some of the ISA members fly biggish foamies - B52. Aermacchi 338 etc......

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

SilentPilot

Hello!!

I'm also from Leeds and I've frequented most of the slopes you've listed so we may have met too. 

What wing does your Phase 6 have? I've got one also, but just a single servo wing. I'm longing for a semi-symmetrical 4 servo wing for it...

Tony

Andy Shutt

My Phase 6 has the Pro wing, I do hear that Chris Foss will sell a wing pack if you just want to change the wing, should save a penny or two. I only use 2 servos, one per aileron, for landing I crank the ailerons down slightly and some down elevator, I have a new one on the board and I will keep it the same.

SilentPilot

Yeah I've heard Chris Foss sells just wings but I can't build them, I've not got the time or the skill :( 

I emailed Ripmax and Chris to see if there's any chance of them making ARF gliders. The answer was no!!! Shame really, I'd love a new P6, if one was available ARF then I'd definitely get one. With both wing types :D 

pete beadle

Hi Tony

I think our annual (ISA) club Bring'n Buy has a Phase 6 for sale every year, or at least two out of three years - I'll put a notice on the club (online) notice board and see what surfaces.......unless, of course you can wait 'til October for the "actual"  B&B?.......... Why not try BMFA Classifieds?

Don't bother with FleaBay though, they caught on years ago to the ridiculous prices mugs (sorry, enthusiasts) will pay for Golden Oldie wood kits

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702 

• Like 1

SilentPilot

I can wait Pete, cheers. Mine needs a slight repair go the tailplane, it's a bit loose, there must be a crack I haven't found yet...

I'll send you a PM :) 

Royski

Hi Andy, welcome to the forum, I am also from Leeds, hopefully we will meet on the slope at some point. 🙂