Pike WR

SilentPilot

SilentPilot

I have a Pike WR that I use for Sport flying and the odd foray into F3F. It has a hook and I've recently been enjoying hi-start launching my Radian, so I'd like to have a go with the Pike either on my bigger hi-start or my winch. If things go well I may even look into F3B...

Reading the Samba webpage I'm not sure if you can get longer tips (extreme tips?) for use in F3B. Does anyone know if this is true?

In the full scale world different tips are often used for different styles of flying. Certainly in the case of the DG500, we have short shark tips for an 18m fully aerobatic setup, or 20m winglet equipped tips for cross-country soaring. 

I asked a model model designer on RCGroups if this kind of thing was possible with models. He said no, he preferred to optimise a plane for a certain flight envelope, he had absolutely no interest in making any such versatile type...

Tony

• Like 1

Hi Tony

Not sure on the Pike but as you mentioned the DG-500 it reminded me of a few models I have seen from ICARE. Have a look at the link below, its for a DG-800s and comes with interchangeable wing tips giving a choice of either 3.5 or 4.2 meters. There is a nice picture showing it at the bottom of the page. Now this could be more for the scale side of it rather than an intentional part of the design to improve performance by a drastic margin for certain conditions. Should change performance a bit though.

http://www.icare-rc.com/dg800s.htm

Also a nice DG-1000 here with changeable tips. 

http://www.icare-rc.com/dg1000_5_3m_mk.htm

A few of their models have this option and does make me start to wonder. Could F3F/B models benefit from this changeable option where you could change it on the slope or would there be so many down sides like reduced stiffness/strength where it just wouldn't be worth it. I've certainly heard people saying shorter wingspans are better in certain conditions and vice-versa. 

Would love to hear what some of the more experienced guys have to say. 

Brett

• Like 1

SilentPilot

A three piece wing like the Pike should not lose any strength if it had different tip options.

Short for fast F3F or extended tips for thermal flights in F3B.  I just can't see any downside to this at all...

• Like 1

True, I was thinking 2 piece wings with changeable wing tips. Forgot the Pike is 3 piece and that would make more sense. 

Brett

• Like 1

Hammond made the Sigma II with two sets of wings. I *think* it was one for F3j and one for F3b, I could be wrong on the intended classes. But it definitely had two different wings, so it has been done.

Longer wing span is not necessary for f3b .

The most popular f3b model of recent years is probably the freestyler 3 imho, which has a span of 2.8m.

Duration is the least important task in f3b. In the sense you always have to fly 10 minutes most of the time. 

Models are designed for speed and distance which is why many f3f models come from f3b.

From what i hear the pike precision has been really popular over the last couple of years. 

• Like 1

SilentPilot
55 minutes ago, Darren_O said:

Hammond made the Sigma II with two sets of wings. I *think* it was one for F3j and one for F3b, I could be wrong on the intended classes. But it definitely had two different wings, so it has been done.

It was James Hammond that I spoke to! He wasn't interested at all.

Was the Sigma II an RCRCM model? There are issues between the two (JH & RCRCM) so he may have been trying to get me to avoid it...

George Young

Tony

I am pretty sure that the Pike WR was essentially a Pike Plus with shorter tip panels. The WR tip panels were not swept upward at the tip either.

http://www.f3j.com/plus.htm

My first "F3F" model was a Pike Plus with WR tip panels. There may have been differences in the fuselage too.

The Pike WR Extreme was an evolution of the WR?

George

The wing section ?

the section on the wr is it the same as the plus ?

youll have an odd wing if it's not. 

The wing section ?

Seems it's rg15. 

The old superior and biro had different sections. How ever the complete wings were interchangeable. 

• Like 1

On 03/05/2017 at 18:33, SilentPilot said:

It was James Hammond that I spoke to! He wasn't interested at all.

Was the Sigma II an RCRCM model? There are issues between the two (JH & RCRCM) so he may have been trying to get me to avoid it...

Yes it's designed by Hammond and built by RCRCM. I only have the larger F3J wings though. It's huge but it will fly on a breath of wind. 

Screenshot_20170405-200735.png

Pike Plus uses a one piece V tail. Pike wr uses a two piece V tail on a new fuz. The extreme bit denotes a double carbon wing lay up as distinct from the standard single carbon/glass lay up. Pike Brio used a new fuz and two piece V tail with a thin MG06 wing section. The Brio fuz is interchangable with the Pike Superior Xtail fuz. I'l get my Anorak now.

• Like 2

George Young
12 hours ago, Omega said:

The wing section ?

On my Pike Plus with WR tips the wing section where the panels joined matched perfectly. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, George Young said:

On my Pike Plus with WR tips the wing section where the panels joined matched perfectly. 

From what i remember the history of the Pike from Samba. it came available in the late 90s as the Pike and Pike Plus.

Then later in the early 00s Kevin Newton (kevin to confirm this) (had a Pike and did some development work with Samba on some new tips for the Pike, they were more

swept back on the leading edge, Samba had supplied him the new tips for testing and  while using them he broke the F3F world record at that time so they were quickly put into production and the Pike sold with those tips became known as the Pike WR (World Record)

After that Kevin started development work on the Brio which had new wing MG06, kevin had some success with the prototype but if i remember well the production version was not as good

in the mid 00s newer F3f/F3b models started to come in 2 piece wing sets mainly due to manufacturing developments that allowed the moulds to made big enough cost effectively, a natural progression because it allowed stronger and thinner sections to be made,less twist and distortion an important factor

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, SilentPilot said:

Can you get hold of Pike Plus tips, Richard? 

dont think so, samba may not make them no more

try on the second hand market, there were alot of pink/blue pike parts in the UK a few years back, reason why? well thats another story best told by dave wright/tony fu/ paul garnett

• Like 1

SilentPilot

Ok, thanks!

btw mine is a kind of Pink/Blue. I'm intrigued now to know their history. I'll start digging :D