Sign in to follow this  
Tony Beckett

6th F3K 14 Day Duration Challenge

Tony Beckett

Eryk said:-
"While everyone was doing their 5x2, Ladders and 1234 tasks @ the comp, I decided to go for some freestyle this weekend! Sunday evening about 7.30pm, 5m/s wind all day but dying gradually, really sunny (for Aberdeen it was summer - 18degC! ) with a few passing clouds. Blaster 3 has proven one more time it's best not disturbed. I threw right into a bubble, I knew right away that was it and have to hold on to it! Started off with a few tight circles, and once I got some altitude I let it do its wide and flat circles with minimum input. At 108m (according to BTOA) I lost the lift, though I hadn't noticed until It lost some serious height. I tried to find it but the air was just empty... 

After evening-full of flights an aileron servos gave up, that was it for the day.

Side note: Ripmax SD150 servos have an expectancy of approx 3yrs, that's 2 gone within last 3 months.

Eryk Jaszkim 14/05/17 Blaster 3 6:56

Screen Shot 2017-05-14 at 21.46.07.png

aatimes.jpg

Good to see a new name having a go at "the Challenge", possibly the furthest North as well?

This is a for fun challenge, anyone with a hand-launch glider that conforms to the F3K (up to 1.5m) or Mosquito (less than 1m) class can post a time.
Object: Fly your F3K or Mosquito class hand launch glider for as long as possible from a flat field, the person who's time is unbeaten for 14 days 'wins' and a new challenge starts.

Rules: Fly safely. No slope soaring.

Please post your times as follows:-. Pilot Name, F3K or Mosquito class, model name, length of flight minutes and seconds, plus date of flight. Previous challenges since 2012 can be seen at www.f3k.uk

• Like 1

Simon Jones

I got out this lunchtime and was away on my second launch into big lumps of slow moving lift everywhere with minimal sink in between.  It was the kind of day where records could be broken (deckchair and hydration required!).  I came down after half an hour but felt it could have been all day...

Simon Jones, F3K, 30 mins 01 secs.  19.05.17

Tony Beckett

StraightEdge

I wasn't particularly getting on with full-size, and a weak lower-back and dicky ankle was making things uncomfortable (which I'd never experienced with the light Elf), but finally had a cracking time out with the Blaster 3 yesterday.  Wearing a back-support now and ankle-strap really helped on the physical side; no doubt practice and exercise will help improve the back at least.

The purpose of the outing was only really to properly sort out flight mode settings, rates, trims and all.  Not only did this suddenly transform it from slug to swift, but then - more by mistake than intention - scored a 3:35 around 1600 before having to get back for work.  Cumulous, 10mph gusting 15 from the SSW.  Carrying 60g ballast, which I expect will be the norm!

Jon, Blaster 3 F3K, 01.06.17

PS Is there supposed to be a horrible creak if I launch too hard? :o

Whitmore
1 hour ago, StraightEdge said:

PS Is there supposed to be a horrible creak if I launch too hard? :o

From you or the model?

StraightEdge

Tony Beckett

Simon wins the 6th Challenge

aatimes.jpg

Jons 3:35 with his Blaster was really a day early for the 7th Challenge but I am a day late updating things so I see no reason why it shouldn't count.