Vortex 3

thechalster

thechalster

Recieved a batch of vortex 3's last week and have got the first one together.  Build went well and was a bit of a learning experience for me being my first 4 in the fus build.  Happy with the result.  This one came out at 227g. 

Just need a weather window to test fly.

IMG_7996.JPG

IMG_7998.JPG

• Like 7

thechalster

Quick hour before Father's Day breakfast practicing poker call 9:58. 1 min in nothing at 12m high..... got the time!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
Richard Swindells

With a very big thank you to thechalster (Mike C), I was able to get hold of a vortex3 a couple of weeks before the champs.. and after having built and flown the first one, I saw that the model had a lot of potential and took up the option of a 2nd one.

I finished the 2nd vortex during my first 2 days in Ukraine (the Tuesday and Wednesday before the event).

I then spent all day Thursday along with alternating models at the pre-competition to evaluate if I would be flying an NXT, CX5 or Vortex3 at the main event.

Although I was most comfortable with the NXT (having flown nothing but this model for the last 2x years) I did feel that certainly in the calmer conditions that were forecast, that both the Vortex3 and CX5 had a higher performance potential.

As I only had one CX5, and I had not yet built in any provision for ballast and I did not have any backup CX5 it felt sensible for me to compete with the Vortex3.

Switching to a completely new model a couple of days before a championships is never an ideal situation (although I did similar 2 years ago in Croatia). Unfortunately in first of the rounds with higher windspeeds, I had not got the model in the best trim for flying with ballast.. this was the only round where I would have probably scored more by switching to the NXT due to the trim issues... however that evening I spent nearly 2 hours perfecting the vortex3 trim for ballast (using reduced camber and a larger forward movement of CG when the ballast is added), and as a result managed to get the 4th highest score of all pilots on the final (windiest) day!

Although it is one of the lesser known F3K models (it is not advertised or sold through any reseller network) it is without a doubt the best F3K model I have flown.. but with the caveat that because of it's slightly narrower chord it needs a bit more pilot skill to manage the speed when tip-catching and re-launching.

Overall did I score more points flying the Vortex3 than I would have with the NXT or CX5? In this instance I am confident that the model did give me that little bit extra, however to give a balanced view my cx5 was not quite ready for competition and I only had my heavier NXT and repaired "beater" NXT available (i.e. no shiney new regular layup NXT in my model box)

With the final production version of the CX5 due out in the next month or two, which has some significant improvements over the prototype (modified tailboom, modified leading edge profile, slip-on nosecone and possible modification to the layout at the wingtips) there will be some competition for the new "best" f3k model, but for the most affordable way to get the very very best performing models, then the Vortex3 is the obvious choice.

And of course for any of the gear to go in it, contact http://www.superfly.online

• Like 2