Sign in to follow this  
Brett82

The Skorpion got stung

Brett82
17 minutes ago, Les said:

But was that a "oh" of courts you can go and play for three day's darling or "oh" you can go and get F 😕

It's a "we have looked at what comps are coming, which you can race in and which you can't so don't even go down that road" short, uninterested oh... :poke:

Scram

Hi Brett,

I've not been flying at all this year and doing little surfing on here either.  Just seen your problems - sorry to see the Skorp in such a state.

One word of advice - don't use microballoons in any joint requiring strength.  Use microfibers or milled carbon.  Take care not to blow carbon fibres up in the air - i.e. don't breath 'em in!!

Now, I have a tin of 3M-77 and I have quite a lot of carbon tow.  You may have some to help your repairs - give me a call.  Trust I will get the tin back with some in, it's not cheap stuff.  Not sure how useful it is in this kind of work but I would use it to hold together the cut edges of carbon cloth if it cannot be backed with masking tape.  I have found that if the masking tape used this way, remains on top, it can then be removed from cured carbon/epoxy. 

Another recommendation would be to try to cure epoxy at an elevated temperature.  If you read up info from the likes of Easy Composites, they give temperatures/times for different epoxies (I tinks).  I just put the item (fuselage maybe) over an light bulb (60W say) for 6-12 hours, with some sort of box arrangement to hold the heat in.

• Like 1

Brett82

Thanks Jerry 

I really appreciate the advice and the offer. We do 3M-77 at work so I think I'm just going to get some from there. I appreciate the offer but I wouldn't want to use yours and if I get it and the carbon tow then I've got them for the future. 

I read that about microballoons which is why I asked the question earlier. I will make sure I use microfibres or milled carbon for anything that needs to be structurally strong. 

I've found a website called Bucks Composites and their prices are really good. Im going to get most of what I need from them, at least then I have everything I need and will have plenty left over. 

I tell you what, you missed a good days flying on Sunday. It would have been great if you could have joined us. I know it was last minute though. Speak to you soon mate. 

Brett