Tony Beckett

8th F3K 14 Day Duration Challenge

Tony Beckett

Quieter weather forecast and several posts at the end of the 7th Challenge indicated interest so here is the start of 8th F3K 14 Day Challenge of the year.

This is a for fun challenge, anyone with a hand-launch glider that conforms to the F3K (up to 1.5m) or Mosquito (less than 1m) class can post a time.
Object: Fly your F3K or Mosquito class hand launch glider for as long as possible from a flat field, the person who's time is unbeaten for 14 days 'wins' and a new challenge starts.

Rules: Fly safely. No slope soaring.

Please post your times as follows:-. Pilot Name, F3K or Mosquito class, model name, length of flight minutes and seconds, plus date of flight. Previous challenges since 2012 can be seen at www.f3k.uk

Phil C

Beautiful late evening flight & some lovely lift. The Boom is still in need of a new wing servo as it's not centering properly.

Great to fly with the swifts at this time.

Phil carter 17/06/17 Boom 2:52

Simon B

Lovely weather for a change meant I got some really nice air and spent quite a bit of time with a few red kites over the farm this morning, drifting down wind, having made it back almost on the ground suddenly, got away again from head hight for a little while but was back on the ground five mins later for a 36:15 by far the longest of the session but had many hi-speed climb-outs in tight energetic thermals, great fun, but should probably practice some task flying. Tomorrow looks nice.

Simon B, F3k, Nxt, 36.15, 17/6/17

sorry phil.

• Like 1

Tony Beckett

aatimes.jpg

Apologies to both Simons and thanks to Marin, correction made.
(I have been away overnight, otherwise I would have done it earlier....)

Marin Mitev

The other Simon Tony 

CTR

Hi Simon, well done!

I've just come back from my nearest field. Went out early to do some trimming of my NXT and didn't want thermal activity, hence 08:00 at the field.

Really good still air. However, by 08:30 there were some thermal bubbles around. Managed 20 mins before RSSI warnings at 100m, so thought it best to come down! 20:23 total time.

RX battery was down to 3.5v. Not sure if that was the reason. Need to investigate before next weekend as I've downsized the battery to 1000ma. and flown about 4 hours on the one charge.

Best flight this year for me. I'm sure today will produce some stonking thermals later.

Good luck everyone

By the way, in still air today, is it normal with NXT's to need negative elev' in zoom? I've put a reasonably gentle rotation in  Launch, releasing at about 45 deg. and the rotation  virtually stops when going to Zoom but there is a continual steady increase of climb angle to vertical by 35m ;)

Tried a little negative camber to reduce wing lift too, but not much effect. Speed, Cruse and Thermal are not bad now, just the issue with Zoom. This is worse since moving the C/G back from 65mm to 67.4mm but the 67.4 is better for me in light wind.

Suggestions welcome please.

Neil P

Simon B

I, personaly don't fly my batterys that low, I have no easy way of seeing the flight bat voltage, and so charge every session unless they are short ones, I recon on a good two and a half hours from my 1200, usualy enough chucking for one day and usualy about 3.9v if I check before charging. I have run my model from a power supply down to around than 3.5v at low mA, under load, and I'd have thought most of the capacity is around the 3.7v mark, so I think I've got plenty of headroom, but...

As for your Zoom, when I release my launch button my set up goes into my speed mode, which I trim to go arrow straight, more or less, depending on conditions, and work from that datum for other flight phases, but this is just the way I do it at the moment with my current kit , there are no rules, setups are pretty personal in the detail and evolving all the time. I find I can get fair performance for most  flight conditions with 3 modes on one switch and a launch button and keep my tx simple, but I'm sure most use more flight modes and sliders, and delays etc... Keep flying and tuning.

cirrusRC

I was out on Saturday morning too.   Was trying a few trim changes and some practice.  Probably should have started earlier as the conditions were excellent and the sink didn't arrive until 11.30am.    Lazy launch with many down wind runs and lots of aerobatics thrown in.   Picked up a nice bubble low down over the trees but was a long way from home and it was a do or die move.   Didn't fancy calling a tree surgeon so bottled it :)  

Ssa77i3.png

didn't start my timer so not sure if this counts but my telemetry shows 38:51.

Had some nice flights last night too.   Flat calm and was still finding bubbles at 9pm.   Just before 8pm there was a 20 minute period of crazy conditions.  It was like a milllion narrow core thermals and sink raining down all over the place.    I checked my model twice thinking the CG had shifted as it was barely controllable.   Never experienced anything like it before.    Fun but sweaty palms.

• Like 1

Tony Beckett

Thanks, interesting to see the telemetry and news of 20 the minute crazyness. 

However, up to now, I have been expecting to have the time posted on the day it was flown or at the latest the following day. So unless others feel strongly about it I won't add your time to the list.

SilentPilot

With full-size glider comps we get a time limit for returned logger traces so they can be scored. Can't remember the exact time off the top of my head because we all hand in our SD cards pretty much straight after landing, but I think you get 24hrs.

It's your comp Tony so your rules! It's a friendly comp and I've not seen anything that says we need to upload before a deadline so I'd be quite happy to accept his flight.

Phil C

A Few days too early for the next challenge & no where near Simon's last time but just had a great late afternoon session with the Boom. 

Managed to stay in lift to climb out nicely, getting more confident letting it fly downwind now & trusting in the model 😉 Practicing a bit of hedge dodging too! Came back down with an 8:29

Bring on the next comp!

• Like 1

Tony Beckett

A win for Simon in the 8th Challenge.
Dave gave interesting details and telemetry from his 38:51 flight on 17th June but as he didn't post it until 20th June I have not counted it, see my note on 21st June.
I have changed the wording slightly in the 9th Challenge.......

aResult.jpg

Wins so far this year

Wins.jpg