Sign in to follow this  
Phil C

Top Hinge tape

pete beadle

Hi Phil

Yes, I've used this but I'm not sure that the standard reels are wide enough to cover the hinge line and the wood/glass/plastic either side, to give enough area to hold the hinge line tape securely in place when it's stuck either side of the hinge....

I normally use 20mm wide tape for this job to ensure there's enough area each side of the hinge line to give 100% security on the wing surface

Why do you want to use such a narrow tape?

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Phil C

Thanks Pete,

I was after the lightest, thinnest tape to reduce weight on the wing I suppose. I think you can buy it in different widths. All it needs is to stick half to cassette tape & enough to hold it before the hinge I think, sound right? Never covered a hinge on a DLG wing & thinking of doing it to my next build. 

(Think the link may have just taken u to the thinnest reel!) 

I just didn't want to spend out more than needed if there's cheaper elsewhere. 

CTR

I use this,

Common name is Kapton. Works well for me. I just apply it to the wing with the control surface fully deployed, then dust the exposed sticky surface with micro-balloons.

Regards

Neil P

• Like 1

Phil C

Excellent advice Neil! That sounds like an easier way to to it. 

Would the 5mm width be up for the job?

Thanks

Phil 

CTR

Measure the max gap when the control surface is fully deflected, then double the measurement.

You will need a couple of mm to be overlapping the control surface when fully deployed to ensure the free tape edge doesn't get trapped when the hinge gap closes.

The actual weight is quite low so I doubt the little extra width will reduce performance. Better to be safe than sorry!

The DLG wing sections are quite thin so the hinge gap is narrow. I use 10mm on the NXT DLG

Regards

Neil P

• Like 1