Sign in to follow this  
Witch_1

Paint for mouldies

Witch_1

Thanks, I will look into that. 

chiloschista

Hello,

in my knowledge a release agent is always needed. There are non permanent (water soluble PVA, very easy to handle ad to clean), semipermanent and permanent.

With the latters you don't need to apply them all the time, but only every number of cycles.

About pieces colored in the mould there are a lot of discussions around. I never did it until now. One difficult is to have several colors, because those have to be masked in a way which does not remove the release agent. I'm not sure 2k colors are the better choice, but I never did dig too much into that.

I use car acrylic base colors (one component) and then finish the surface with a coat of 2k transparent acrylic, applied after demoulding.

Best regards,

Ric

• Like 1

Darren_O

Surely if you paint in the mould it's easy to reapply release agent between colour blocks/stripes? IE paint tip colour first remove mask, slap more release agent on, move mask back to next stripe depth, paint and repeat?

Or is the release agent difficult to apply?

Witch_1
On 01/07/2017 at 19:40, chiloschista said:

I use car acrylic base colors (one component) and then finish the surface with a coat of 2k transparent acrylic, applied after demoulding.

Thanks, that's interesting.  I have found with lightweight glassfibre surfaces there are pinholes in the glass layer which make spraying difficult.

I had not thought ahead to masking issues when doing 2 colours in the mould, so thanks for mentioning that too.