Sign in to follow this  
Pete

Hello From Rotherham

Pete

Hi

I have been flying model RC planes for over 30 years with varying interests in scale sail planes, sport slope flying, power precession aerobatics, power scale and EDF jets. I have recently changed the direction of interest back to gliding where my love of this wonderful hobby began. I am currently flying both flat field (EP & aero tow) and slope (sports and Scale) but fancy having a go at F3F racing in the not too distant future. I have the following models

EP - 4m Thermik XL & 2m Hyper

Scale - Royal Models 4m ASW28-18 & Let models 3m ASW28

Slope sport - RCRCM Sunbird Typhoon Tomcat, Valentamodels Destiny, and an Aeronics Schwing.

Hope to see you on a slope one day soon

Pete    

Brett82

Welcome Pete

I'm also fairly new to F3F and can say its an absolute blast. Not only do you get the adrenaline pumping but it's also just pure and simple good old fun. Plus the guys in the leagues are really nice and you will find plenty of support. 

Never flown an RCRCM Tomcat before but I think it would probably be the best model to use when you try out F3F, that or the Typhoon. If you get hooked then there will be loads of advice from more experienced racers if you decide to get a proper F3F model. 

I think everyone on here will agree the more new flyers we get in F3F the better so don't wait too long.

Brett

Pete

Hi Brett

Thanks for the welcome.

The Tomcat would make a reasonable practice model but I don't think it has a good enough ballast capacity to be competitive. Having said that it has a good turn of speed and has given me the thirst to have a go at F3F. I will go to a couple of events over the next months to get a feel for how the events are run and in the meantime I will be on the look out for a competitive second hand introductory model.

I was on holiday in Wales at the beginning of the year and did some flying on the Llyn Peninsular. I was flying the Tomcat in an F3F fashion and I could feel the model getting faster and more in the groove. I hadn't realised how fast I was flying until I parted into a more sedate flying mode and a friend told me how quick I was, this has given me the enthusiasm to have a go. Hopefully I will be attending events within the near future.

Pete   

• Like 1

oipigface

You sound ready for F3F, Pete! And you live in the right kind of area to enable lots of practice. Don't worry too much about getting a competitive model right from the start. You can start to learn many of the skills by flying something that isn't especially fast (some people have made their first trips to an F3F meet with a foamie!). If you start with a plane that you are familiar with, you'll be free to make progress with the many things that you will find are unfamiliar.

Hope to see you at a comp soon.

• Like 1

Brett82

No problem Pete

What John has said above is completely correct. Don't worry to much about a competitive model for the first few attempts. I was on the side where none of my models were even close so I had to get something. You are right that the Tomcat isn't the best but its far better to learn with it if you are used to how it flies and again, as John says, you sound as if you are ready to give it a go.

Just remember, the most important part of a comp is to learn and have fun. I tend to still get really nervous at the start of a comp (Mark T will vouch for that) and then as the day goes on I start to relax and I can see the difference in my flying. Just go there with the mindset of having fun, meeting new people and enjoying an amazing sport and you will be fine. 

Have you been on the GBSRA website and seen the dates and locations of the Summer League events? If you have any questions just ask in the F3F section, there are loads of really experienced guys who will help you with setups and things like that. If you want to speak to a fellow newbie about things that will help you get started feel free to send me a PM, just don't expect expert advice (I'm still learning and not much further ahead than you).

Will be good to meet you at a comp soon.

Brett

Pete

Gents

Thanks for your supportive comments and thoughts this puts me at ease and I now have a clearer understanding. I thought F3F would be more competitively focussed therefore needing the latest gear etc. I like the idea that I can come with an existing model that I am familiar with and challenge more myself and my model rather than others. This will give me the opportunity to see if I like F3F racing, to improve myself, my current skills, to learn new things, to spend a great day on the slope with like minded friends and generally have a great time.

Sounds perfect and cant wait to have a go in my first comp.  

Pete

• Like 2

pete beadle

Hi Pete

Welcome to the forum

You get a lot of good sense in replies posted on this forum, and especially by competitors who are happy to share their own personal hints and tips and "This is what I did" stories.

One thing seasoned comp fliers will agree with, is the little frisson of nervousness they, and most other competitors feel prior to flying in a comp is actually a good thing, something they look forward to, the downside is the panic some newbie competitors feel when they see all eyes on them at the flight start. It comes down to getting the right balance and, for me, it was managed by practice, practice, practise to learn what the right level of excitement did to get you on your toes and then hope to cope with panicking, by rummaging back in all your practice sessions to see how you coped then, and to find out what was different this time from how you coped in previous practice

What the other guys said is absolutely right, practice does make perfect, and it doesn't matter if the practising is done with a model with a lower top speed because what you're really learning in practicing with a slower model always applies directly when you finally get the faster model we all strive to find

Good luck and happy practising, don't forget ANY flying is good flying, but yes, winning WILL be better:yes::D

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702