Ahi

slopetrashuk

That's very pretty, Greg.

Meanwhile, after a night's sleep, I decided to modify the rudder linkage. The first photo shows what it was like before I started with quite a sharp bend after it exits the fuselage. The last shows a straight run instead. In between is self-explanatory I hope. It is much freer now. If you decide to do this to yours, be careful removing the horn. I cut around mine with a scalpel and then pulled as hard as I dared. The linkage is freer when the outer hole is used, which may not be a bad thing, given reports of 'crazy' recommended throws! I used Zap-a-Gap to refix the horn.

IMG_0722.thumb.JPG.9f96279fd704c1f5235fa56d76ab9c1c.JPG

IMG_0725.thumb.JPG.60c40d7bbdb796461ccb617ec6d41be4.JPGIMG_0723.thumb.JPG.c3cfcf79eb30cc799e030f8ab8784555.JPG

IMG_0726.thumb.JPG.8447815761c7850469527bf50b53dd04.JPGIMG_0728.thumb.JPG.e5d3160bc8878d73da12046d58d14dad.JPG

OIMG_0730.thumb.JPG.5d1dc50eb3b1e67dd9e624d77cdd55d6.JPG

IMG_0731.thumb.JPG.49eaa4a9c0b12d14dbe1d5fe2f41ec73.JPG

Lines up nicely.

IMG_0733.thumb.JPG.4b59cf7b147a2a5f6609f5d23b850ab5.JPG

It hits the pushrod at 20mm of down elevator, so it will accommodate more than the recommended low rate of down elevator throw without further modification. The high rate is 25-35mm, which seems like a lot to to me. If I find I ever want that much down, I can cut a small chunk out of the elevator (which can be done without weakening it significantly). Alternatively, one could move the horn down a little and put up with the extra binding that that induces. 

Think that looks the Ticket John :)

I am Glad it made the pushrod bind less . I got my thumb nail under the snake and kind of forced it in the correct direction , I would say it is a little bit more free to move , still not what I would consider great , but functional it is ,  so I will go with it for now , if it turns out to be a problem I will do your little mod and move the control horn,

Bob 

• Like 1

I take it you guys didn't do as the manual stated and install the snakes on the surfaces before fixing the tail onto the fuselage...

I did (install first) and didn't have any issue with binding. I was able to move the control surfaces with no excessive force on the rod before I attached it to the servo so I thought nothing of it :) 

Yes I did ,

but I bow your superior knowledge of all things flying. :thumbsup:

Bob

That's got nothing to do with it. I haven't installed mine at all yet, and as the manual says, it is impossible to get the Z-bend onto the horn after the surface has been permanently installed. I know that the rudder rod binds even when the rear part of it is straight because I can fell it binding, when I manually push it in and out. It binds because the outer is not straight in the fuselage. It bound worse when it was linked to the horn in its original position. I know this because I have done a 'dry run' of the installation. You can see in the first photo that the Z-bend doesn't sit straight in the horn either. So not only did the the original position add friction inside the outer, it adds more because the Z is binding in the hole in the horn. I have taken a small piece out of the elevator to allow the horn to clear it, so I am now satisfied that I've done the best I can to reduce the friction in the setup, which will have several benefits that I am sure you know about.

Straight runs good; excess friction bad!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bobbyr said:

Yes I did ,

but I bow your superior knowledge of all things flying. :thumbsup:

Bob

A bit harsh eh?

but maybe to be expected... I'll be off then :o 

Sorry dude ,

2 minutes ago, SilentPilot said:

A bit harsh eh?

but maybe to be expected... I'll be off then :o 

It appeared to me like you think we didn't read the manual , I think that was a bit presumptuous TBH . but see ya anyway  

• Like 2

Little Eaton

I am sure some would call this sacrilege, but I just could not accept the rudder pushrod geometry.

15 flights now and I am just lovin' it, but just can't make it flat spin the way they do in the video.

Clive

IMG_3832.jpg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sloper said:

i can taste the rainbow :)

Ha ha - "feel" the rainbow too Richie 😎

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

I think we now know who Banksy  is Greg !!!!!

Lovely paint job

Bob

And Clive ,

That is an excellent solution , Well done

Bob

• Like 1

Ok , took it for a maiden Yesterday .

My Findings are this , Wow , just Wow

The flight characteristics are very strange for such a blow away aircraft , my personal findings are one second its fine,  the next its like the CoG is too far aft .

I think it needs to be flown with a lot of forward momentum , although chesil beach really was not the best place to try it out ,  it was struggling with the choppy winds , in fact the last flight was fine till it came in inverted , Ripped the foam hinge and tape clean off the rudder , So now it has 2 lovely pin hinges to hold the rudder on , a marked improvement over the cracking foam hinge TBH , so Overall its a very twitchy beasty , needs to be flown and not floated , if that makes any sense .

It will only get better , just not sure about the CoG , or the foam Hinges ,

Yes I know I could use Blenderm and make new hinges , but at the cost of this craft for a Foamy (£150 delivered) , I don't think it should be necessary to have to make these Mods to improve it (like the rudder snake miss alignment) , Never had any probs with a Weasel or an Alula , and they was half the price , So Michael Richter , Sort your Designs out !!!  :)

All that said , I did enjoy it , so it is a great Plane, just not what I would consider great Value . This is my opinion , we will all have different ones .

Bob

We saw Hervé Dalla'ava fly his Ahi after the last round of competition at Asturias yesterday. I asked him about the stiff rudder linkage. He said that his linkage was also very stiff, and he tried several dry lubricants before discovering that filling the tube with microballoons before sliding the pushrod in makes it much less stiff. 

Has anybody tried using talcum powder as a lubricant , I have used it in the past on an over tight wing joiner and found it to be quite useful .