slopetrashuk

Ahi

Little Eaton

I had a horrible feeling that my Ahi was going to turn up Green:(

Fortunately it arrived Orange (with a little help from Halfords)

IMG_3313.JPG

Phil.Taylor

Mine's alive :)

3 hours from box to fully set-up & ready to go

need some good wind...

Phil.

Darren_O

If you're looking for a natural degreaser before painting you can use orange peel from a fresh orange. Saves on nasty chemicals and is very effective. Handy for removing sticky tape marks as well. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_oil

• Like 1

Phil.Taylor

Maiden flight for the Ahi this evening. What a blast! - big smile on my face. Excellent little plane. Blustery 20-25mph wind but this lightweight coped just fine. Video when I get round to editing it.

Phil.

• Like 1

Phil.Taylor

Ahi vs Weasel Evo - small planes, big fun  :) 

Phil.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gromit

Nicely done phil. Nice to see the view from Beacon hill again too, Its where I learnt to slopesoar. Many happy memories, apart from the climb up :frantics:. Not flown there for 10 yrs now I reckon.

Stu.

surfimp

Hey guys, stoked to see you're getting into the Ahi over there.

I'm just back from a two week trip to France, where I flew mine in the Alps and Pyrenees. Performed quite well in everything from zero wind pure slope thermal to 35mph+ (unballasted!!)

It's a fantastic plane. Have loads of footage from my trip to sort through, so in the meantime here's a little quickie I put together in light lift at the weekend here in Santa Barbara:

Martin Church

Nice video Phil enjoyed that very much.

Greg Dakin
On 10 August 2017 at 18:16, surfimp said:

Hey guys, stoked to see you're getting into the Ahi over there.

I'm just back from a two week trip to France, where I flew mine in the Alps and Pyrenees. Performed quite well in everything from zero wind pure slope thermal to 35mph+ (unballasted!!)

It's a fantastic plane. Have loads of footage from my trip to sort through, so in the meantime here's a little quickie I put together in light lift at the weekend here in Santa Barbara:

Now that I like Steve - great flying and beautiful coastal site. You guys in California know how to live it up 😎👍

I think that with your footage and the rest of the guys in this thread, I may have seen enough to order this machine. It never sits well with me to drop £150 on a foam model, but the results look to be superb - and lets face it, who can resist a VTPR airframe that slots together in a couple of hours and can be sprayed with your favourite flourescent paint 😀

Cheers,

Greg

surfimp
10 hours ago, Greg Dakin said:

Now that I like Steve - great flying and beautiful coastal site. You guys in California know how to live it up 😎👍

I think that with your footage and the rest of the guys in this thread, I may have seen enough to order this machine. It never sits well with me to drop £150 on a foam model, but the results look to be superb - and lets face it, who can resist a VTPR airframe that slots together in a couple of hours and can be sprayed with your favourite flourescent paint 😀

Cheers,

Greg

I shall look forward with great anticipation your video, good sir! Always a treat to see you fly.

The Ahi is a great little plane and I suspect it's going to be a very common one for more advanced pilots (F3F racers, etc) to tow along for giggles before and after their "main event". Super capable little plane and absolutely begs to be flown hard... or precise. It's really quite happy either way.

Makes a nice flat spin, too :) Dawson was kind enough to put together an idiot proof (well, maybe) tutorial:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Greg Dakin

Thanks Steve. 

Well, that's some spin from Dawson - interesting to note the application of opposite aileron too, once the stall is fully invoked. 

To be honest, I think that the recovery is pretty quick given how flat the rotation is - very nice indeed.

I share your thoughts on the popularity of this model. From earlier conversations with Rich at T9, 50 units have already flown off the shelves, which is quite significant given the size of the UK. It can only be a good thing for the slope aerobatic scene. 

Did I say 50? I really meant 51, as I've bitten the bullet as well 👍😎 - as you rightly say, there's sure to be a squadron of these little machines flung across the sky before and after our winter league F3F events!!!

Please send on my regards to Dawson btw, its been an age since we last exchanged messages.

Cheers,

Greg

Gromit

This coming wknd courtesy of the Whitesheet RFC, one very lucky pilot will be winning an Ahi in the English Open F3f charity raffle. From all the reviews & video's that I have seen of this little gem, they are in for some terrific fun :)

Stu.  

Bobbyr

mine will be here tomorrow :frantics:,

Thanks Richard , always a prompt service from T9 , which is why I keep coming back :) ,

you just don't get the quality service from every vendor , servos and battery are winging there way also from another supply source , then I am going to try it on Chesil beach ,  I think it will be an excellent beach flier , as the weasel is .

Looking forward to it ;)

Bob

• Like 1

surfimp

On the subject of the Ahi & slope aerobatics contests - my website SlopeAerobatics.com will be collaborating with Dream-Flight to announce a one-design slope aerobatics video contest. I'll post more info later this evening, but it should be a lot of fun - very much in the vein of the old video contests! :)

Stay tuned :D

Bobbyr

Well I was putting mine together tonight , 

I have to be honest , the snakes to rudder and elevator are very tight :cry:, not what I was expecting at this price for a foam model , don't get me wrong,  its a nice bit of kit , but the last 1.5 inches of snake at the rear of the fuse binds the carbon rod up , and I am not prepared to leave it , That's a small gripe I know , but other than thissmall issue , ive fopund the whole thing a nice little build .

Any ideas how I can free up the carbon rods ?

tried sanding the rod , but not made any difference , so best ideas please .

Bob 

oipigface

Bike shops sell graphite powder lubricant.

• Like 1

satinet

You could look at the control horns/clevises. E.g if the clevis at the elevator sits under the elevator (which I think it does) move the the clevis to the furthest out hole so that the pushrod doesn't have to bend as much. Move the clevis at the servo end to a futher out hole to compensate. 

oipigface

I've finally got round to looking at mine. While my elevator is acceptable, the rudder was stiffer than ideal. The rods themselves are quite a bit smaller in diameter than the outers, but they go through quite a bend inside the fus. Also, I noticed that the rudder outer had been deformed where it is cut at the tail end. I trimmed it off flush with the fuselage which helped a little. I'm surprised that more thought was not given to this aspect of the design, which has the rudder pushrod making quite an alarming bend between the rudder horn and the fuselage exit hole. The other thing I have done is put some of the dry lubricant I mentioned in my last post on it, which also helps a little. It seems OK now but only just.

Bobbyr

Thanks John  , 

I thought it was maybe me who had just gotta bad one, but they are both very stiff on my rudder and elevator .NOT seized , but very stiff so it will over work the servo unnecessarily,  and increase the load on the battery which I think is not so good  , on the other hand it does stop any slop on these surfaces :) .

Oh Well , we live and learn

Bob

Bobbyr
9 hours ago, satinet said:

You could look at the control horns/clevises. E.g if the clevis at the elevator sits under the elevator (which I think it does) move the the clevis to the furthest out hole so that the pushrod doesn't have to bend as much. Move the clevis at the servo end to a futher out hole to compensate. 

The control rod is stiff even without being connected Tom , thanks anyway though, that would be a good suggestion ,

Bob