F3K WC 2017

thechalster

Simon Jones

To All the Team and Helpers,  

Best of luck, fly the GB flag and enjoy yourselves!  Having been part of the team I know the excitement and pressure but know that you will all do us proud.

Simon and Lynn

thechalster

Well the pre comp is over and today is a model processing and a bit of practice for team GB.  I might also look at adding a elevator position marker to my models the same way as Mike S does.  I have had trim issues which I believe are do to the change in temperatures between flights so a visual indicator should help me check and sub trim before each flight.

So far I have been happy with my flying and results, poker was a shame, but you have to go for it against this standard of filed.  My lanuch is noticeably lower which put me in a different  tactical position than the majority,  which in a way makes the flights even more challenging which in a strange way I like.

Bring on the main event!

MikeS  had a mid-air so we landed next to the change box and had a very good look at it.  All fine so we decided to stay with the model.  Fortunate to have almost two spare minutes.

Checking after flight - only thing to find was a scratch on the nose so thin cyano into that after checking that nothing would get glued inside if it was a through crack.

image.jpeg

R2 3x3:20

Lift is light with a gentle breeze, much the same all day so far.

MikeC - did very well, dropped 5secs.  

MikeS- first two flights went very well, turnarounds were very fast as well. I had no read for the last and made a tactical error. I drifted back downwind as it didn't feel too bad just after launch and there were guys back that didn't look too bad. But the more I chased it, the worse it seemed to become and I only managed 2:13.   About 4 guys made the full time. I should have pushed forward upwind after launch to see what what would come, but still have the ability to cruise downwind if anything developed. 

• Like 2

Richard - dropped 4secs. I thought it would be 3secs, as did Rich, so slow fingers on the timer may be, but it's a 998.  Nikola Francic dropped 2secs! But the official max achievable time is a 3secs drop, so that is what he scores. 

• Like 2

Round 3 best 3 of 6

MikeC heat A

Got all the times, no real dramas. Slight trim error on 2nd launch causing over rotation, but there was air. 

• Like 2

Rich and I both maxed, no particular issues. My launches weren't great, but lift was good and close by. Rich had a odd one for his last flight where he was at the upwind SW corner and just before launch the wind switched 180 and he launched in to deep sink. He quickly got over to where there was lift and was fine.  We did wondered why after about 20secs he was heading NE over the box quite low!

• Like 2

MikeC had some more difficult air and didn't make it work for his first attempt at 1:45, so couldn't get the 2:00 of course. A shame, as he was having a stella day and was sitting in 22nd after 3rounds. 

Rich got all his times, so ends the day dropping 1sec or 2 points, so is in a big tie for 2nd. 

We are done for the day and will start with Round 5 tomorrow. 

• Like 2