Sign in to follow this  
Darren_O

Film over laminate

Darren_O

Any tips on putting film over laminate? I just can't keep the bubbles from appearing...looks a mess :(  Doing a combat wing half a wing at a time trying to get a nice finish and it's just full of tiny bubbles. I could pierce them if I had ten years spare....

Andy_B

You need a beather layer .............lightweight tissue  applied with 3M77 ...........and as if by magic  no bubles 

• Like 2

Darren_O

Ta Andy, going to be fun pulling the old stuff off now....

Andy_B

And then they come out like this ......not a very good photo for the showing bubbles but you get the gist 

reapers.jpg

• Like 1

Darren_O

Now THAT is what I was looking for :)  Did you use filler/spackle as well?

satinet

Hi Darren

I've done profilm direct over lam-film and I haven't go many bubbles.  I did it by working outwards and holding quite a bit of tension on the film. Even then I still had to go round with a scalpel and pop quiet a few bubbles.  As Andy says probably a breather layer is the way to go.

T

• Like 1

Andy_B

Nahhh spackle is over rated     you just end up with a film bag full of talc after the first impact . just fill the spar slots , ballast tube etc ....sand the bumps out and stick what ever you want over it 

• Like 2

pete beadle

Hi all

A short while ago somebody was selling a tool for coping with exactly this problem - it was a hand tool that looked like a sort of cheese grater only with needle-sharp spikes - apparently, you press this on your "bubbly covering" film, it aerates several square inches of "foot print" and it deflates all the bubbles by letting them breathe through the pin holes as you re-iron over the problem area

Did anyone else see it? It was either here on "For Sale and Wanted" or on BMFA Classifieds........

Regards

Pete

BARCS 1702