New CX4 Extreme on way from Superfly

Martin Church

Martin Church

Well this f3k business has got me hooked.

Ive ordered a shiney new CX 4 Extreme from Niel Harrison @ Superfly should be with me to tomorrow. I'm like a kid on Xmas eve :)

Niel did me a good deal on the full package of kit, servos, rx etc weather looks awful for a few days so might even get it finished by the weekend.

• Like 4

Martin Church

Well today I received a rather large box full of lovely bubble wrap. In amongst the bubblewrap was my shiney new White on black CX 4 Extreme along with 4 kst X08 servos & an XR 4 rx. Also supplied was a set of wing & tail bags, some servo frames a radio tray & some carbon servo well covers. Looks to be a very complete kit & exceptional quality, easily as good as my Stream NXT.

I'd like to thank Niel for taking care in packing it & doing a good deal on the whole package it's nice to finally be able to buy some of the more exotic DLG Gliders here in the uk rather than sourcing from Europe USA or China.

Keep up the good work Neil & if anyone requires DLG Gliders & accessories contact https://www.superfly.online/

• Like 2

Martin Church

Will do Tom this afternoon 1st chance I've had all week been working 12hr late shifts midday till midnight all week 😂

natxopedreira

Cooool  :yes: :yes:

Few questions..... ailerons are top drive? 4in pod? estimated weight?

Congrats for your new plane!!

Interested in know how this will compare to your stream next, im flying an old dbox stream and looking for a new one, but its hard to make a decision with all the different models that exist. I take a look at the superbly website... loots of models!!

Martin Church
1 hour ago, natxopedreira said:

Cooool  :yes: :yes:

Few questions..... ailerons are top drive? 4in pod? estimated weight?

Congrats for your new plane!!

Interested in know how this will compare to your stream next, im flying an old dbox stream and looking for a new one, but its hard to make a decision with all the different models that exist. I take a look at the superbly website... loots of models!!

It is top drive, so two in the pod two in the wings.

Estimated weight will be circa 280 grams my NXT un ballasted is 225g so this will be where my nxt is fully ballasted

I bought this  as a windy weather machine but aparently they fly very well in fairly light conditions also.

Martin

Martin Church

The build started today. So far I have cut the servo wells out & glued 1/16" hard balsa plates onto the inner wing skins to try to help with marking of the outside surfaces. I'm slightly annoyed at myself for already marking the outer skins which seem so soft. These CX 4 wings are hollow moulded at the front  D box so there is no inner Foam to dig out of the servo pockets. I have also cyno tacked the radio tray in which is a CNC routed out plate & a very nice touch. I hope the pictures show how I intend to sort my ballast out. I have 3D printed a stick in PLA that's 10mm by 2mm & 250mm in length. I have then stuck a row of 10g tyre balance weights to this & put heat shrink over them. This slides perfectly into the boom ballast area with zero slop. When I have test flown & got the cg where I need it it will be a simple case of drilling a hole through the PLA cutting to length & attaching it to the radio plate with a 3mm cap head machine screw & a captive nut which is already in place under the radio tray.

Martin

IMG_1950.JPG

IMG_1952.JPG

IMG_1953.JPG

IMG_1957.JPG

Martin Church

**** I should be more careful phil been a tiring week & ive ballsed it up already 😢

Really sorry about that Martin, hope you can plug the hole ok? 

I've just started my CX4 too. Keep having to tell myself....top of wing, top of wing 😏

Please keep up the build pics though, will help me with my first TD build 😉

I've Seen someone place the wing servos as far forward & nearest the fus as possible to help with centring weigh & keeping weight off wing tips, anyone else tried this? 

• Like 1

Martin Church

Yeh I was thinking it was as my NXT phill. Think I will put it to one side now till I'm back from my holiday in August.

Wife says to put a sticker over the hole I had to bite my lip at that comment 😂

• Haha 1

Martin Church

One thing that has me worried is putting a hole through the spar but people are saying it's not a problem as is only through the shear web.

Sure it'll be fine, all the builds I've seen do the same. Looks like cutting the Aileron horns will be tricky to mount around the spar 😳

Did you just glue the servo mounts in & leave the servos to be just screwed in? 

Martin Church
7 minutes ago, Phil C said:

Did you just glue the servo mounts in & leave the servos to be just screwed in? 

No I wrapped masking tape around my servo then screwed them to the mount & placed glue only on the mount faces that touch the wing skin & the bit that butts up to the spar. I put them in situ & allowed the glue to set. Then I carefully prised the servos out & un taped them etc.

• Thanks 1

Richard Swindells
On 30/07/2017 at 20:26, Martin Church said:

**** I should be more careful phil been a tiring week & ive ballsed it up already 😢

Have a close look at my cx5 at the next comp.. I didn't make the same mistake....honest !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1