Film Covering

Dave Elam

My 3.4m Last Down has recently developed some very wrinkly and bubbly covering especially on the top of the wing tip panels. I had a go at trying to get the film to shrink but no amount of encouragement got it to shrink and adhere again.

I've therefore now removed the film ready for some new to be applied.

Question is. What is the best film to use on veneer on a foam wing. In the past I've only ever used Solarfilm so suspect there may now be better alternatives.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

• Committee Member
PeteMitchell

Profilm also sold as Oracover  are the best films I have used. Very easy to use, and not subject to damage if you use too much heat.

I think Solarfilm do now make a similar covering but I have not used it.

I bought the model in used condition but it was originally a Staufenbiel purchase.

No photo I'm afraid but it was a case of the more I tried to resolve the problem the more it got worse! Eventually I realised I was fighting a losing battle and decided to pull it off.

I'm sure some new film will sort things out and a coat of Balsaloc will give a little more adhesion.

I prefer oracover/profilm.

For open structure, light models I actually prefer something called lightex which you can get from steve webb models. Although I've not used the heavier version equivalent to profilm.

Solarfilm is ok though. Sounds like a layer of dust or something rather one covering being much better than another.

isoaritfirst

In my experience the more heat you add the more bubbles you get. 

I would use profilm and first spray the wing with a very light coat of 77 spray. 

Then work the covering on to the tacky wing using a credit card or similar. 

Ypu will find the card helps a lot and with a little effort you can get a great finish with out any heat. 

Then use a hot air gun on the film to soften it to pull around the corners. 

When its all down warm a little and rub very hard with a rag as it cools. 

Use an iron just on the joints. 

• Like 1

In the end I supported my (very) local model shop, Airtek, and bought a roll of Easycoat film. Had no problems applying it and the wing is now totally crease, bubble and wrinkle free.

The Last Down will now be even more capable of living up to its name!

Thanks for all the input.