Pitbull 2

Graeme_M

The picture hasn't really caught the colours accurately (It's kind of a grey day), but it gives an idea. I did have a look at every part of the factory, but not all the processes were under way while I was there, so I missed some things that would have been interesting. (The day after my visit, 17th November, is a big national holiday celebrating the start of the Velvet Revolution in 1968.) In particular, there didn't seem to be anyone working on fuselages. Still, I saw enough to make what I hope will be an interesting column. I also interviewed Jiri for almost an hour, which I think will make a second interesting column.

I didn't see a Pitbull 2 with red wings and black fus. The various parts are not brought together until right at the end of the finishing process. I did see a red fuselage. Do you think they could have got your colour scheme wrong?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, oipigface said:

The picture hasn't really caught the colours accurately (It's kind of a grey day), but it gives an idea. I did have a look at every part of the factory, but not all the processes were under way while I was there, so I missed some things that would have been interesting. (The day after my visit, 17th November, is a big national holiday celebrating the start of the Velvet Revolution in 1968.) In particular, there didn't seem to be anyone working on fuselages. Still, I saw enough to make what I hope will be an interesting column. I also interviewed Jiri for almost an hour, which I think will make a second interesting column.

I didn't see a Pitbull 2 with red wings and black fus. The various parts are not brought together until right at the end of the finishing process. I did see a red fuselage. Do you think they could have got your colour scheme wrong?

I hope not😭

36 minutes ago, oipigface said:

Each to his own. At least it won't be mistaken for anyone else's!

We'll said John.

Colours scheme is a very individual thing.

I like the under side😎👍

2 hours ago, pete beadle said:

Perfect colour scheme for the camouflage you just DON'T need when landing out in rapeseed fields

Not 'perfect', no. The all-yellow RaceM I have been refurbishing is much better. I remember flying it once at Whitesheet, when the rape was in full flower, and it was a case of 'Now you see it, now you don't,' as it flew over the patchwork of different crops.

And while I'm off the topic, does anyone know a colour code for the yellow they used for RaceM's? (I've asked Espen recently, but so far he's not yet come  with the answer.)

On ‎21‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 13:17, Brett82 said:

Looking forward to seeing some up-close photos if possible. 

Your wish is my command, Brett.

Here are a couple of shots to indicate the care that has gone into the construction of this model. First here's a picture of the inside of the nose of one of my Pitbulls.

IMG_0674.thumb.JPG.660f95b7d8e88227807fe39edaef3d01.JPG

See all that excess epoxy which has oozed uncontrolled out of the seam? Well. here's a shot of the nose of the Pitbull 2.

IMG_1282.thumb.JPG.f3783098cb97e70baf2342cc5c8dfa95.JPG

There are two differences: Firstly, the nose is clean as a whistle. No lumps or bumps. Secondly, there is a big hole (c 4mm diameter) in the Pitbull 2's nose. I'm not quite sure how the hole helps eliminate the lumps and bumps, but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with it. Is there a tool they stick through the hole to suck up the excess epoxy? Anyway, they care about the inside as well as the out, and the hole turns out to be very useful.

The moulding of the tailplane/fuselage junction is just perfect:

IMG_1279.thumb.JPG.c002d387e40b70a65e98dd4744b323f4.JPG

I tried to measure the gap between the elevator and the fuselage, but it isn't big enough to get the tips of my vernier in. I guess that it is less than 0.5mm.

The fuselage is noticeably skinnier that its predecessor's, and it is squarer in section. This is made possible by such ploys as having the servos stick through holes in the bottom of the nose:

IMG_1275.thumb.JPG.2051db5046903933522ab9684622caba.JPG

The nose is shorter than the original Pitbull's, in order to reduce the pendulum effect of the nose weight. This means that the problems fitting the gear in that I described in the article I wrote for the next issue of BMFA News (on your doorstep soon) are made more acute. Baudis' solution to this is to provide moulded lead weights which fit over the battery:

IMG_1280.thumb.JPG.a02a4519ce3a92271d9206dff92ebbd4.JPG

The small piece of lead on the side fits in the nose, and presumably is intended to block the hole. There is a little over 200g of lead there, with a CG about 35cm from the plane's CG. Baudis' solution clearly will work, but there is a better one. 

If one could make an accurate lead casting of the inside of the nose, it's CG would be about 42cm from the plane's CG and only 166g of weight would be needed. My next article in the BMFA News explains how this can be done. This afternoon (following my own instructions), I made a 166g weight which fits perfectly inside the nose, and now only needs to be trimmed down to the correct weight for the CG where I want it. Even better, I can adjust the CG backwards by slicing bits off the weight and then adjust it back forward again by slipping them back in. The weight can be got out by pushing it with a piece of wood through the hole. The battery holds the slices in place. What's more, there is actually is a little room to spare!

Cant be much room to squeeze a receiver in John. I believe you use Futaba, what receiver will you use ? 

I'm always paranoid about trying to position the aerials away from servos , batteries & lumps of lead, thoughts on this ?

Stu.

Hi John,

im pretty sure that the fuse is "ballooned" which is nowadays standard. To get the balloon with the lance into the mold you need some place to do it...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LS8-18 said:

Hi John,

im pretty sure that the fuse is "ballooned" which is nowadays standard. To get the balloon with the lance into the mold you need some place to do it...

Tell us more. How is this done?

Couple of questions about this video:

He's shown blowing up what looks like an ordinary party balloon, but the one in the mould is as long as the fus. Is the long one the same kind of stuff as the party balloon? I've tried doing something similar myself and found thet party balloons were easily (if not quite always) broken by stray ends of CF. I now use bicycle inner tubes.

Where did the balloon go? He seems to open the mould, and there's no sign of the balloon!