Hello from Hampshire

Ikura

Hello,

I have been lurking around the forum for a while but just decided to join BARCS and get involved.

My main interest is thermal flying and I hope to step into F5J at some point. I am presently building the Hoellein 'Introduction' and 'Inside' and having reached that 'certain age' where mortgages are paid off, kids earn their own money and life is more even I do have my eye on the NAN Models Shadow, or even the Explorer. My wife Caroline actually approves of both the NAN F5J gliders because they are 'very pretty and fly nicely'.

I also like the German RES type gliders and have been looking at the X-RES and AndREaS as possible builds over the winter.

As with most other glider guiders I also fly a selection of foam thumpers such as the Easy Glider, Heron etc but I have to say I am not a fan of things made of foam, with perhaps the exception of my Alula Trek which I absolutely love.

Anyway, it's good to be here and I hope to participate regularly.

David.

1 hour ago, grj said:

David

Welcome to BARCS. Glad to have another thermal flyer on board.

Hampshire is a big place but our paths may cross occasionally as I fly many slopes and some of the comps around the southern region. Are you a member of a local club maybe MVSA or Alton Silent Flyers? I belong to TVSF, which although based in Berks has a few members from Hants.

From personal experience, I can definitely endorse the Xplorer and indeed all the Nan models are very good.

Hope to meet sometime.

Graham

Many thanks Graham,

I am a member of MVSA and HEF but haven't been bitten by the slope bug as yet to be honest, although MVSA are now gearing up for thermal flying at Mercury so that is something worth doing.

Yes hopefully we will meet up. A flying buddy and I are planning on going to the Sussex F5J meetings later in the summer. I'm just waiting to hear when they are being held so if you are going I'm sure we  will met.

David.

47 minutes ago, pete beadle said:

Hi David

Welcome to the forum, seems to me you, and your good lady, will fit right in!

Personally speaking, I'd suggest you go "RES" while you're starting out, and would recommend something like a "Bird of Time" as a first electrification project. Delightful to build and even better to fly......

RES is much "lower stress" and would suit a good builder, as against a "state-of-the-art" plastic buyer. At the moment, my "most-used" ELG is a Mark 2 Radian "E", I popped out Sunday evening with it, flew it for over an hour without touching down, and only three "motor burns" to achieve the hour, challenging, restful and satisfaction guaranteed, all in one flight........

Good flying and many happy landings

Pete

BARCS1702

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm not starting out so much as new to BARCS as a paid up member. I joined the forum about a year or so ago just mainly lurking and reading up on the many excellent posts. I did fly a Radian about a year ago but preferred a Multiplex Easy Glider Pro, which I do tend to fly quite often because it is a very relaxing flying machine and capable of catching thermals quite well.

There's clearly a lot to this termal flying lark and I must admit to finding it fascinating that we can float around on a bubble of rising air for so long.

I recently flew both the NAN Explorer f5J and Shadow F5J gliders while in Germany and found the performance to be utterly exceptional and flying them to be completely absorbing. I was amazed at how easy they were to fly and how well they would respond to the slightest amount of lift. It was the same with the RES gliders, mainly hand launched or off a short bungee launch. They just floated around for an age.

I have to say that I am hooked.

David.