What's happening with Spektrum?

stewartg

Does anyone know where we stand with servicing/back up

I understand that Horizon hobbies  Harlow is now closed do we use somewhere in Germany for repairs as promised.

Are there some details somewhere that I've missed

Thanks S

Put it this way, there's a reason why HH EU removed visitor posts from their FB page. 

Some people have had success sending stuff back for service, although it's a long wait from what i have read. On the whole though Germany basically do not reply to emails or phone calls, they don't even acknowledge receipt of items sent back to them by a signed for service. And it's not just the Brits who are unhappy, comments on their FB page shows it's pretty much the whole of Europe who are unhappy/angry at them. I've read Staufenbiel used to be great before the take over so i don't know what went wrong. 

I'm about to send a racing quad back to Germany for repair so i'm about to find out what the wait time is like. I'm not confident i'll see anything back anytime soon as i have already had zero replies from then when trying to contact. I don't know what the warranty period is, but if it's 12 months then i have still been told to send it into Germany rather than return to the vendor i bought it from. 

I used to be a huge HH/Spektrum fan, i'm now quickly finding myself moving over to Frsky, at least you can buy every part you should ever need to be able to repair the radio yourself if needed. 

Hi Stewart

Once you have spoken to them please post your experience. It will be good to hear how you get on. I recently spoke to them about something very miss leading in their Dx6 Gen 2 manual and their responses were extremely non committal to say the least and they tried side stepping my questions completely by trying to focus on something completely different. I don't want to go into detail as this thread is more about the general servicing/back up and who we should contact. 

In regard to who we should speak to, I only had details for their technical team and would probably have received a better response from their after sales team based in Germany  but they didn't even seem interested in forwarding my enquiry to them. He didn't offer me any of their contact details, he only said try contact the " EU support office in Germany". Was not a good experience and not what I would class good customer service. Steve's link looks like the best option I have seen. 

Q X7 might be on the Christmas list... :ermm:

Brett

I don't think USA service will be allowed to touch our (for now!) EU compliant radios. 

I'll be following this thread myself. At the moment I'm very happy with my DX9 but if I do look at an upgraded Tx then I'd like to consider a DX20, but I'll move away from Spektrum if their customer service is found lacking. 

Over the years I've not minded paying slightly over the odds for HH products because I've had sterling service from HHUK. If that doesn't continue then I'll start to look elsewhere...

Tony

2 hours ago, i_am_mark_evans said:

I've read Staufenbiel used to be great before the take over so i don't know what went wrong. 

Horizon Hobbies took over Staufenbiel back in 2014. The current problems are due to making a decision to have one service centre for all (?) of Europe rather than ones in various countries and then completely screwing up the implementation.

Steve

Indeed you are correct, strange though how closing the UK service centre and since they made the new website that their whole attitude has changed. I don't see how the closure of a service centre suddenly makes them provide a terrible customer service like not replying to their customers etc. 

I've been a long time Spektrum user but if I were in the market for a new radio now I would not be buying into the Horizon brands. Be interesting to see what happens to them. 

Presumably they fired all the people in the UK, French etc service centres and didn't recruit and train enough Germans for the new centre. All that experience keeping the customers happy was thrown out of the door.

I really don't know what I would do if my DX9 died.

Steve

I never paid a penny for gear which was serviced out of warranty with HHUK, only ever cost me the postage cost to send the items which kept me with Spektrum for a long time, but a club member told me at the weekend that has stopped now and servicing from Germany is charged for.

TBH I have now ditched all Spektrum stuff, 2 brownouts in the same part of the field which resulted in 1 complete loss and another which was repairable after the model was eventually found meant I decided I'd rather pay a bit more for RX's and hopefully not suffer another loss due to radio glitches. Been happy with MPX except for RX cost but I'm considering Taranis 

I'm sure you realise a brown out is a power interruption issue and nothing to do with RF?

Spektrum has always been rock solid for me, the only thing i have really gone off them for is the service you now get. Paying is no problem, it's just their attitude now and the fact you feel like they have zero interest in helping you when you have a issue. 

Frsky is good, but it's not the be all and end all, it has had it's own share of problems. If you are considering Frsky, hold off for a while until the new X10 comes out, well, depending if you like the style of it. 

I can`t  believe that Horizon care about the uk market . They pulled out and left all spektrum owners high and dry .

I broke two switches on my DX9 a couple of weeks ago ( yes I know , clumsy old g t , totaly my own fault ) . Fortunately I remembered which end of the soldering iron to hold and replaced the switches myself . ( they still work ) .

One thing for sure is I would not send my radio gear to any foreign country for repair . You cant guarantee its return .

Mind I suppose brexit is to blame .

• 3 months later...

This service seems reasonable enough.

Reasonable as it may be, it’s not what it used to be, I’ve sent items to Horizon UK for evaluation and repair and it was always free, as I understand it they still get this free service in the USA. 

Apparently we don’t now in the UK. 

We still pay premium prices though! I can’t see Spektrum / Horizon keeping their share of the (UK) market with this strategy...

• 1 month later...

No!

There’s a guy on RCgroups called AndyKunz, he develops the software (Airware) for Spektrum radios. He’s always answering questions (often repeating himself over and over) and helping people out. 

If you have any issue at all he usually requests that you upload the transmitter .SPM file so he can look through the code and offer solutions. The guy never sleeps :D 

If it wasn’t for Andy’s support and LemonRx receivers I would have found a different protocol by now.

Tony

4 hours ago, satinet said:

Will people still need to pay for a user guide to be able to programme basic models??

Poor piece of trolling there Tom, but, as you got a bite out of @SilentPilot, I suppose that you deserve a pass grade, C- could do better.

Steve

• Thanks 1