Slope Racer - Tony Fu

Andy Shutt

Hello, 

I am looking for Tony Fu from Slope Racer, last December I paid him for a Schwing, full install and build, I was told the model would be ready by April, well April, May, June and July all came and went, I contacted Tony a couple of times in June and was told the model was on the bench and would be one week before it was finished, then nothing, phoned him numerous times and either voice mail or the phone is turned off.

I understand that model builds can go late but to just cut off a customer who has paid alot of money is just not the game.

I am looking for him to request all the money back, if this happens all well and good, if not I have to go through the legal system, this process is now very swift and happens within 2 weeks of my application been accepted by the High Court Office. After this point the debtor is responsible for all costs, the cost of the High Court process, the on site visits by the Sheriff's officers. I was unfortunate to do this last year with a debtor to me, he owed £ 1250-00, he ended up paying over £ 1650-00 in the debt and the costs.

I would like to give Tony Fu the option of paying before I start this process but so far no responses to my calls.

This is just not the way to do business at all

Any info would be good.

Thank you

Andy 

Pete, 

Thank you, I will look on the forums.

Sorry, you are correct, it is the Sheriff process that I use. 

I have always had an element of "trust" from modellers who are traders, seems I was wrong, it is only very recently that people have told me what Tony Fu is like. Yes, I want to talk to him before I start the process as he will stand to loose much more than what he owes me.

I am hearing rumours that his suppliers will no longer trade with him, seems to be true

Cheers, 

Andy

You live in Leeds? Then it's easy. Go round to Tony's workshop in Lawn Lane and talk to him. History shows that he will do what you ask.

Cheers, Yes I am in Leeds but working away this week, I have been once last week but all was locked up and seemed deserted, will be going again soon.

He's probably away on holiday. It's that time of year. I've dropped in several times and always found him there.

Well, I finally got over to Slope Racer this weekend, managed to talk to Tony and agreed a refund of the money paid, the refund was made so all is now resolved.

Thank you for your comments and advice, it was useful.

Andy

• Like 1

Seems I have upset people with my innocent request.

Yep, seems like I caused the problem, I placed an order and paid up front, just like I do for other major purchases with the likes of ZN Line, Pari Tech, Tomahawk etc...

Recently rumours were circulating that Slope Racer had gone out of business, having tried to contact Slope Racer numerous times by various methods but resulting in no response or reply, so I posted to see if anyone knew the situation and if anyone knew of any other methods of contacting them.

On other forums I have been contacted by other people who have had problems with Slope Racer.

From now on I wont pay for anything until I get it in my hands, looks like I wont be doing much in the hobby then !

5 minutes ago, Andy Shutt said:

looks like I wont be doing much in the hobby then !

Andy,

Don't let Tony (or Pete) put you off. It's too great a hobby to allow Tony's bad behaviour to spoil it, and Pete is just fed up about having the same discussion about Tony over and over again. Since Tony has in my experience always reacted positively to a personal visit, it is not hard to solve problems if they arise. (Although the cost of doing this can be quite large if you live on the S Coast, for instance). The best way to avoid problems is not to pay him upfront, or go elsewhere.

I hope we'll be seeing you at the Hole of Horcum some time!

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, Andy Shutt said:

From now on I wont pay for anything until I get it in my hands, looks like I wont be doing much in the hobby then !

Unfortunately you will still have to pay for things up front, I can't see any shops sending goods without payment. 

I think it's fair for customers to ask if its in stock, if the answer is yes then pay. If not only pay a deposit unless you're ordering a unique spare part or something.

Certainly only pay a deposit of some sort of a build or fit out, this then gives the builder an incentive to complete it. In addition the builder has your model so if you don't pay then he has your model as leverage for payment.

Why does the builder need the build money up front. If you don't pay he removes all his work and gives back the model. Ok he's a few hours out of pocket but I would hasten to bet this would never happen.