Sign in to follow this  
Gromit

Wing ballast slug removal help req'd

Gromit

Hi Guys.  On packing up my model after the English Open I tipped the wing up on its end to remove the 3 slugs of brass ballast. The first & second slid out as per usual but the 3rd slid down too within  1/4 inch from my grasp, where it decided to get stuck. A couple of shakes & still wouldn't slide out. Ah well, sort it when I get home I thought, no probs.  This afternoon I gave it a sharp tap back into the wing to free it, so that I could then give a good shake to make the slug fly out of the wing. On my trying to tap it back in, it only succeeded in making it even more stuck solid.

Would applying either gentle heat, or cooling with Ice help to free the pesky thing ?

Stu

mtreble

I have done this before by cooling. I just stick the wing in my cellar for a couple of hours, and they come out freely.

Gromit
27 minutes ago, mtreble said:

I have done this before by cooling. I just stick the wing in my cellar for a couple of hours, and they come out freely.

Thanks Mark, I'l give cooling a go.

Stu.

Gromit

Ice packs now applied  :popcorn:

Stu.

satinet

What's the ballast made of?

What's the model? 

Gromit
1 hour ago, satinet said:

What's the ballast made of?

What's the model? 

Tom, brass ballast, Radical.

2 ice packs, 2 hrs later, one ice cold piece of ballast now in my hand :thumbsup:

Stu.

• Like 2

Scram

Stu,

Try a bit of cyano on the square cut end of a dowel.  If the slug jams sufficiently for you to apply enough pressure for the glue to set, you should be able to pull it free.

Maybe push it back in with a long enough dowel.  Rotate the slug too, it may just come free in a different orientation.