Choosing a New Tx

Dave H

Hi all

So if you were at the the last comp in bath , you will probably already know my t8fg has just about bitten the dust and I'm in need of a replacement. 

Here's my dilemma...

I have the opportunity of a very well priced  futaba 14sg £250 with the 8 ch s bus rx ,I already have 4x fasst rx's and I'm guessing I can just swap the 26ad card lout to save the headache of reprogramming 

, or I'm considering switching to a taranis, this means replacing all of my receivers,but will gain the ,flexibility of open tx and telemetry, primarily the rssi.

What do you guys/girls think? Opinions, bias, everything welcome.

Thanks in advance

Thanks for that Mike ;)  lol

From what I can see the 14gs is a t8fgs by another name..  i think this is a fomo (Fear Of Missing Out) moment  

The content in brackets is for the non millenials amongst us.....

Ps, why does my original post not have and edit function.....26ad should read sd card, obviously

Frsky is good once you get your head around opentx and they have some interesting rx's being released soon but....

I keep seeing more and more posts about RSSI issues and some lockouts on latest batches of X series rx's, and there is actually some new FW dated March on their site that's meant to fix this. But you gotta wonder if things are starting to catch up them and if their latest stuff isn't as good?.

2 hours ago, pete beadle said:

Hi Mike

Don't ask me either......I'm still on 35 MHz with my Graupner/JR MC24.......sorry, that's probably as unhelpful as DaveH's

Although, my two pennorth would be, judging by the HUNDREDS of posts asking for help for a Taranis, I wouldn't dip my toe in that particular bowl of hot water! - anyway, shouldn't that option be Horus?

Sounds like a bit of a Windows 10 moment!

Best of luck with your choice.....

Pete

BARCS1702

You have the posters mixed up, it's Dave who is asking. For Frsky for DLG, the Horus is too big/heavy. Either taranis or the new q x7, which is the very good form factor for DLG. Also, there is a lot of help and templates for frsky DLG use. 

I didn't like the form factor of the 14sg when I had a chance to hold one. 

I believe JR is pretty much done for, so I wouldn't look for options there. A shame, as the XG8 is a good radio I believe. 

Richard Swindells

I think I have a 12fg somewhere gathering dust if you are interested.

taranis is amazing, but is an enthusiast level TX. Be prepared for a considerable learning process, but once understood the capabilities are endless.

This is the cause of my dilemma......the old git in me says go with what you know.......the geek says get the tech......

I am leaning towards the taranis as the 8fg is useable but not programmable anymore (can't see what you're doing on a blank screen) and I like the idea of the companion software...

But reliability worries are there whereas with futaba fasst, I know it's reliable....

Has anyone had issues with their taranis.....?

Let's be honest the t8fg design hasn't been untroubled by reliability issues in in lifetime

thanks for the input guys.....

Ps Richard I was reading your post in rc groups, might try to cadge a copy of your set up in the future if I go the taranis route

Capabilities vs Price - the Taranis can't be beaten.   The build quality won't match that of a Futaba but for DLG the X9D form factor works very well.    Programming is a steep learning curve but worth the effort plus there are lots of templates that can be used from elsewhere.

Telemetry is awesome, although I've had quite a few issues with RSSI on the X4R.     I think I might switch back to D4R which never gave me any issues.

Mike , what was it you didn't like about the 14sg? You say form , do you mean , weight, balance , layout or something else ?

I have an 8FG and a 14SG.

I bought the 14SG a couple of years ago when I did a bit more heli and quad for the extra memory and specific mixes.

Currently use this as my primary Tx with the 8FG as back-up.

For hand launch there is not a lot to choose between then to be honest.

If you have smallish hands the 8FG is probably better, the 14SG is a bit bigger and heavier.

I have had no issues with either.

Hi Dave,

Re the Taranis reliability:

It's probably worth considering that there's probably a higher number of the X9D/X9D+ out there being used than probably any other TX. This means there will be relatively more posts about problems compared to others.

I've swapped to the hall gimbals which are a simple plug-in swap. The engineering quality is definitely better than the original pot versions. I have seen some posts about them being too sensitive etc. Don't understand that! I didn't have to make any changes to my programmes, Just needed to go through the calibration routine, as you'd expect with any change of pot. It is likely that they will respond to finer movements; but that's a benefit as far as I can see.

I do agree that the toggle switches aren't up to much, but they can be changed with a bit of soldering.

Anyway, good luck with your deliberations.

Neil P

Cheers neil, i know we spoke about the taranis at the field....if I miss Out on the futaba I'm looking at , then it's a taranis.....lucky it's the end of the season and not the beginning so I've no rush to buy. I like to consider things for some time b4 parting with cash.......its the Scots heritage you see........

Hi Dave

Nowadays you should have no worries with RF wether it be Futaba or FrSky. Reliability issues are more likely going to be down to hardware. Taranis does not score well in this area but a big advantage is that the parts are easy to get and easy to replace. Your current screen problem would not right off a Taranis.

Good luck with whatever you choose. There would be plenty of help should you go the Open TX route.

Martin Church
22 hours ago, cirrusRC said:

Capabilities vs Price - the Taranis can't be beaten.   The build quality won't match that of a Futaba but for DLG the X9D form factor works very well.    Programming is a steep learning curve but worth the effort plus there are lots of templates that can be used from elsewhere.

Telemetry is awesome, although I've had quite a few issues with RSSI on the X4R.     I think I might switch back to D4R which never gave me any issues.

What have you set your rssi warnings too cirrus?

Ive yet to have an issue with the x4r as the models are small so I'm unlikely to be flying over 500 m away at 150 m altitude as I just wouldn't be able to see it.

I have my low rssi warning now set to 40 & my critical set to 38 in my Willow ll 

Ive since found after much head scratching that correct aerial placement is the key to getting good rssi values.

where you can stick a futab fast rx in a carbon fuse with both aerials inside & still fly a km away you just can't do that taranis.

Aerials need straight lines so dont tape them to the curvature of the fuselage. You also need one antenna going straight up & down in a tube made from a drinking straw. The other is best going forwards or backwards in a straight line. I found this article invaluable when I was having taranis rssi woes

http://open-txu.org/home/continuing-education/introduction-to-antennas/

• Like 1

thanks Martin.   I am using the defaults - haven't changed them.   I even have one antenna sticking out of the fuse and still get warnings so maybe its hardware related.    Will try the D4R and compare.

• Like 1

On my built up models with traditional construction, the aerials exit the fuselage at 45 degrees, under the wing, whereas on the moulded models I usually have them just to the back of the canopy/hatch with one vertical &  the other at right angles to it.

Still occasionally get a warning voice but tend to ignore it as it has never glitched or lost signal completely.

Having used a 3030 for many years the programming when getting your head round it, is somewhat similar to the 3030, being able to assign any thing to what you like. Strangely could never get my head round the Futaba programming having to assign to fixed channels. The X9d is the best value outfit on the market.

Reggie Perrin

I have 14SG's and they are more capable than the 8FG.

You do have telemetry with the FASSTest system on the 14SG

The Futaba link is bulletproof, just my tuppence and I know I'm biased but it just works...

I'm flying with an 18SZ at the moment, which is complete overkill for the Elf but necessary for my turbines..

• Like 1

Martin Church
3 hours ago, cirrusRC said:

thanks Martin.   I am using the defaults - haven't changed them.   I even have one antenna sticking out of the fuse and still get warnings so maybe its hardware related.    Will try the D4R and compare.

Let me know if it's better mate as I've never tried a D4R