Bartletts League 24th September at Sutton Valence Kent

Nicholls

Breaking News

Bring your suntan lotion! Don't get lost but if you do call 07760750298.

Organised by Kent Interclub CD Richard Harris  

As previously stated, Bartletts Rules are unchanged apart from the one minor amendment relating to height limiter settings detailed below.

As usual, 3 classes of model can be flown, Open, 2Mtr and 100” (up to 2.6mtr allowed), and each score points in their own league.  2 entries allowed, but must be with different class models. 

Please note that models must comply with BARCS class restrictions to also score in the appropriate BARCS Leagues.

Height limiter CAN be set to any height up to 300m.

Maximum motor run time 30sec. A penalty of 3 points per metre for launching over 200m, but no bonus for launching below 200m.

Entry £5.00 per class, payable on the day.

Please register your entry here, all assumed to be on 2.4 unless advised.

Location Sutton Valence Nearest Post Code ME17 3AU

The field at Sutton Valence will be signposted on the day on the A274 running south from Sutton Valence.  We might know which field (Forsham Lane or Heniker Lane) we can use by Friday 22nd and published here but on the day look for the signs with a “Glider” on them

Map Link

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?hl=en&msa=0&z=15&ie=UTF8&mid=1aUAe8hQF_d0FtDs2w8fWwT3342A&ll=51.20294501242778%2C0.5932615000000396

Please book in from 0900, pilots briefing will be at 0945 and start at 1000 to allow 6 rounds to be flown.

Entrants

Ian Nicholls Open

Mike Connell Open

Keith Fisher Open

Richard Harris Open

Eddy Small Open

Steve Crowther Open

Alan Twine Open

Derek Collings Open

Brian Martin Open

Alan Harris Open

Terry Letchford Open

Pete Mitchell Open

Ray Gardenne Open

Garry Matthews Open

John Postle Open

Tony Wood Open

Brian Austin Open

Graham Wicks Open

Rod Potts Open

Peter Ley Open

Bob Ryan Open

Phil Ramsey Open

Colin Paddon Open

24092017.jpg

Edited by Nicholls
More entrants added
  • Like 1

Apologies guys, would love to come along but other commitments mean thats not possible this time.  Hopefully will get a couple more comps in before the winter :-(

Regards
Eamon

• Like 1

Report and Results.

The day was mainly sunshine with a few wispy clouds around 19 C with a South East wind around 8mph that increased to a gusty 10+ on the ground and seemed to be much higher at altitude. Some light weight gliders were only used in the earlier rounds

23 flew some having travelled 2 hours

Six rounds were flown and with prompt but not rushed timing the organising club Invicta also managed had a 20 minutes lunch.

The farm site seemed like being in the middle of the countryside but in fact had a nearby sewage plant (not that near for any odour) a main road and a travellers camp but none were visible from the field

One glider managed to find a tree top (one of only two on that side of the field). There were a couple of out of field landings, one Radian wing clapping incident, and a few speedy landings causing minor damage.

This was a combined competition of Bartlett’s and Kent Interclub Electric 2 to the popular Bartlett’s 200m rules.

Bartlett’s 1st Alan Twine, 2nd Peter Mitchell, 3rd Brian Austin all receiving some bottled alcohol

Kent Interclub 1st Alan Twine, 2nd Richard Harris (CD) 3rd Tony Wood.

Thanks to everyone who competed, Invicta Club for the field CD Richard Harris assisted by Keith Fisher, Brian Martin for his new timer and all the others who helped.

Photos courtesy of Keith Fisher

KI Electric 2 Sutton Valence 24-09-2017.jpg

Landing results.jpg

Alan Twine 1st Bartletts and KI edit.jpg

Pete Mitchell 2nd Bartletts edit.jpg

• Like 2

When I was taking the pictures above, I noticed that some flyers were starting the motor BEFORE the start of the slot. This I am sure is against the rules for electric events.

• Confused 1

Yes I noticed motors running before the gun too, Brian.  Didn't see any launch before, though.
Incidentally, I noticed that you've been demoted from third to seventh.  You should have stayed and picked up your winnings.  You could have drunk the beer while waiting in the 45 minute traffic jam to go under the Thames!
By-the-way, love the 9th photo you took.  Excellent.
Peter L

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EssexBOF said:

When I was taking the pictures above, I noticed that some flyers were starting the motor BEFORE the start of the slot. This I am sure is against the rules for electric events.

I'm pretty sure it is against the rules for F5J but perhaps Bartletts rules allow you to start the motor before the start of the slot but you must not actually launch it till you hear the start of slot tone??

Enjoyable days flying at a well organised comp. Well done to the organisers. There were lots of flyers at this comp that neither Graham or I had seen before. Great stuff. We are very fortunate here in the SE to have so many pilots supporting electric soaring comps. Long may it continue.

Took the opportunity to try my Proglide superlight (1215g) in the wind to see how well it would penetrate. Surprised me just how well it does penetrate without ballast but later on as the wind strengthened I felt it would have benefited from adding a little ballast. I now know that I will need to a fit more powerful motor in to be able to get it to 200 meters in 30 seconds, particularly in windy conditions if I want to carry > 300g of ballast it can accommodate.

Colin P

• Like 3

• Committee Member

Enjoyable day, with good weather and good banter as always at Bartletts thermal comps:)

Bartletts rules are almost the same as F5J, and in both it is against the rules to start your motor before the sound of the slot start signal.

It was good to see more new pilots trying the comp for the first time, and although I did not notice anything myself, I would think it was just keeness and lack of rules knowledge that caused the problem.

The rules for this league are available here:

• Like 1

• Committee Member
3 hours ago, Kikapu said:

Incidentally, I noticed that you've been demoted from third to seventh. 

As I understand it, there were a number of Kent League competitors who decided they did not want to pay an entry fee into the Bartletts League, as they were already paying an entry fee towards the cost's of the Kent league. 

As it was the entry fee for Bartletts which covered the cost of the prizes (the wine),  the organisers decided to award these only to those who actually paid to enter the Bartletts league.

So Brian was 7th in the comp. But was the 3rd highest Bartletts league flyer.

Hope clarifies and that I can sort out the Bartletts league scores:)

6 hours ago, Kikapu said:

:(Yes I noticed motors running before the gun too, Brian.  Didn't see any launch before, though.
Incidentally, I noticed that you've been demoted from third to seventh.  You should have stayed and picked up your winnings.  You could have drunk the beer while waiting in the 45 minute traffic jam to go under the Thames!
By-the-way, love the 9th photo you took.  Excellent.
Peter L

I left early to try and escape the usual  jam going North at the Dartford Crossing, put the Garmin on at the gate of the field, which gave the arrival time as 6.00pm. As I started off, this gave 39 minute delay :no: The hold up was on the M20, not the tunnel and the Garmin for once sent me round it, to get home at 6.03pm result:thumbsup:

On ‎25‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 16:38, EssexBOF said:

Brian, Thanks telling us this. I wish you had a chance to do so on the day to me or the CD we would have immediately told all of the competitors but it's noted so they are reminded in the briefing in future.

Bartletts Rules 2017

"Motor must not be started until the signal starting the slot is heard. Flight time will include motor runtime, and will start at model launch".

Another detail advised to me after the event is that the "Start is when the horn first sounds not at the end of it"