PeterjK

DLG held in Coventry Customs inspection

PeterjK

I bought a new DLG from Armsoar and I see on the tracking that it is held in Coventry for customs inspection.

I believe that this was sent from Hong Kong.

Do you think there will be a tax charge?

How will they notify me if there is?
Do you think the customs officials will recognise what it is and not mistreat the packaging and contents etc?

Austin

If it's held in customs is very likely there will be a charge. You normally get a letter from the post office / parcelforce this end.

They x ray stuff so unlikely it will be opened, no they wont be that careful with it but hopefully its boxed well.

Here is a duty calculator. Prepare to be disappointed on what you might have to pay. https://www.dutycalculator.com/iframe-calculation/

thermaldoctor

As Aus said you will get a letter from parcel force

Then you will have to go on to the parcel force website and click receive a parcel and then click pay import charges. Basically the charges are vat plus import duty plus a £10 handling fee.

Regards

Neil

satinet

I had to send them the invoice for a model i bought from windrider. They sent me a form to fill in. I guess that depends on if they think the declared value is right.

You're definitely going to get charged. Could be 20 percent. Maybe plus admin fee. Plus they might require proof of purchase.

The letter i got was from customs not parcelfarce. Parcelfarce would leave a gold card. Can't remember if coventry charged me a handling fee .

Parcelfarce might not be the carrier if it was sent say dpd.

You're about to get stung anyway. That's for sure.

PeterjK

Thanks for the info... I'm concerned about damage/delay so it's good to hear they will hopefully use xrays. 

It was sent with EMS which I believe is a cooperation of state postal services so I expect it is PF. 

SilentPilot

I've had this before too...

Every now and then a parcel from HK gets stopped at customs. Parcel Force very kindly provide notification of this and have a breakdown of any taxes and tariffs on their card. 

They even charge an "Administration Fee" for their troubles! 

Note that this fee is not a legal requirement because your contract was with the vendor not Parcel Force. Indeed, depending where you do your research, it seems illegal for them to add this fee. But hey ho, everyone pays, the charge is small enough such that it's cheaper to pay than fight against it. They knows this...

Bottom line is if you want your delivery you pay up :( 

Tony

Scram

Well if the handling fee is only £10, then consider that a bonus.  Years ago (10?) I got charged £13.50!!

thermaldoctor
3 hours ago, PeterjK said:

Thanks for the info... I'm concerned about damage/delay so it's good to hear they will hopefully use xrays. 

It was sent with EMS which I believe is a cooperation of state postal services so I expect it is PF. 

EMS use Parcelforce for UK delivery

PeterjK

Box came today after paying 20% VAT and 11 pounds PF charge. The vendor had attached invoices to the outside of the box.