Sign in to follow this  
Gunnergolly

Kontronik KBM 42-30 3.7:1 Motor/Gearbox

Gunnergolly

Hello 

I have a Kontronik KBM 42-30 3.7:1 Motor/Gearbox combo which i intend to fit in a 3.6 meter Stork 4 that will hopefully weigh around 2.1kg when completed. 

Just needing some ball park advice on what size prop to use and expected current draw for a 3S setup on the above motor so that i can order the ESC ?..

I have searched but struggling to find spec's for this motor, so not sure what it's current rated for.

Thanks

Chris. 

PeteMitchell

It looks like it is quite an old motor, which explains why there is no data anywhere.

Motorcalc has it in their database so this may help. 

2017-09-17 22_49_09-In-flight Analysis - Maxa4e.png

Gunnergolly

Thanks Pete

I came across this post on the German forums :-

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showthread.php/197721-Welche-Latte-für-Kontronik-KBM-42-30-3-7-1

Its basically saying to use either a 13x7", 12x7", 12x8" prop on a 3S setup.

I read somewhere else that the above motor is good for 40A continuous, so i'll use a 12x8" as a starting point and hopefully achieve around 450 - 500W ?.

My other Kontronik motor (FUN 500 -27 with a 4.18 box) achieves 482W @ 43A, so the 40A continuous current rating for the KBM 42-30 sounds plausable. 

I will also buy a licence for the MotoCalc program and play around with a few combinations myself. 

Thanks

Chris. 

Gunnergolly

I did a power check last week using a 3S 3000mAh 30-40C battery with a 12x8" prop and it came out at 540W whilst drawing 49A.

I have reduced the thottle end point down to 85% and i'm now getting 500W at 45A.  

My Stork IV weighs in at 2.25kg and It climbs well with 500W, however i think it seems to climb better with a bit of reflex across the whole wing.... I will need to experiment with that in the future.