Skorpion Repair Help

Brett82

So, after a few domestics with the missus while dremmeling the damage to one of the wings to try tidy it up, I have come to the conclusion I really need a garage or dedicated work space to do the repair on my Skorpion and as that's not going to happen any time soon I reluctantly need to ask if someone is looking for a project and can help me repair the Skorpion. Cosmetics is not a priority, it just needs to be structurally strong so I can use it as a back-up model in F3F competitions. 

I have carbon cloth, laminating resin and carbon rods to replace the tail joiners but not much more materials than that. If you have materials you can use then I will reimburse you for them and we can come to an agreement on how many beer tokens will be required to cover your time. 

You can see images of the repair here...

I can bring it to the BMFA round 5 competition at HOH this Sunday or I can make a plan to get it to you somehow.

I will say the only major damage will be to the right wing spar, I've been told that the rest of the damage is not actually that hard to repair but I'm sure you will know a lot more than me on that. I was looking forward to trying to do the repair so I could learn but its just causing to many issues at home.

Thanks

Brett

I can take the wing and let my dad have a look at it. 

He helps out at a sailplane (full size) repair workshop, in return they let him use the facilities. He's done some boom repairs for me in the past and is getting a lot of experience! If he doesn't think he could do it well enough he has co-worker friends there that would do it for him. 

If you're not in a rush and are happy for this to be done slowly in spare time then the cost will probably only be materials, though I obviously can't guarantee this.

Tony

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, satinet said:

It sounds like your misses well aware of cost to benefit ratios. 

:lol:, actually you have her figured out wrong Tom. The fact I spent money buying it and installing new wing servos means she is more annoyed that I crashed it and now cant fly it and get any use out of it.

Since crashing it all I have heard is "whats the point spending money on it if  all you are going to do is crash it and then you cant fly it???"

Now ever since trying to repair it all I have heard is "this is why we need a bigger house, you keep waking up the boys with that stupid drill thingy (I've learnt not to correct her and say its called a Dremmel :no:)... and then you go mixing glue, making the whole of downstairs smell, and then you say you have to leave it all out for 48 hours to make sure the glue is properly dried and then we need to make sure the boys don't go near it!"

That's the censored version because this is a polite forum.

And remember "benefit" is in the eye of the beholder, my PB of 39.68 was set with that Skorpion and its the only back up model I have should a servo fail or something like that in my Fosa. Would be nice to upgrade it with something newer but the stupid person at the corner shop keeps selling me the wrong lotto ticket...:angry:

Haha, I literally have to hide my planes in the cupboard underneath the stairs... 

What wing is that from?  Looks really high aspect ratio. 

I know I am a nube, but you might also want to look at the Glider Repair Lab series from Radio Carbon Arts.  They are brilliant and take you through all sorts of repairs, including identifying the right material etc.

I love those videos, make for excellent me time, on the iPad when away camping and I want to get away from the kids :-)

Dont make me fly any better though, in my opinion, as I am pretty shocking in that regard, but on the repair lab side, help me fix my issues when I get back from the field :-)

My wall in the spare room, garage is full :-(

Regards

Eamon

IMG_2755.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks Eamon

That's a good shout, I have heard of them but I don't think I've watched them yet to be honest (seen so many online so I could have without realising). When I originally posted the damage on here, there were so many people giving me advice and links to videos, previous repairs and how-to's and different methods to try. I wouldn't be surprised if some of that advice stemmed from people watching those videos and learning as they tried them and fine tuned them to help with their specific needs.

The help I got was incredible and I was determined to get it done myself. Ideally I need a spot like in your picture. Then I can hide away and get it done without stepping on other peoples toes.  Right now I just got to make do with what I have and accept what I can and cant do. I've had some offers of help so it seems it will be back in the air soon, cant wait to get her flying again.

I will need to watch the videos so I can see what you mean Pete.

Brett

• Like 1

Brett,
Know the feeling.  My wife still gets upset when I take over the kitchen worktops or dining room ;-)

On the interest the videos generate, Pete is right, but I watch them a bit at a time, and then when I need assistance, just look for the part I need :-)  He does need a personality transplant though as he has one of those voices.....

Great help though, not just on building tuning and repairing, but on Thermal flying too.

I am a bit of an addict, have 14 of his sets...... I need help....

Eamon

• Like 1

Haha, so I'm not alone then... :D

To be fair she has a point. If I'm waking up the boys and the layout of our house means I take up the lounge, dinning room and kitchen at the same time then she has a reason to moan. She's a good wife really.

I will keep an eye out for the videos. Any tips I can get will always come in handy later on.

Brett

1 hour ago, pete beadle said:

Hi Eamon

I too am a RadioCarbonArt fan BUT how on earth do you stay awake long enough to see all of the repair(s) he features?

For me, they are the perfect cure for insomnia......Paul Naton should get into  some therapy designed to cheer up his delivery!

....and if he tells me one more time that, in order to solder anything  you, and I, need to use  sodder !!!!!............indeed, nothing divides us like our common language! ....still, all the rest is awesome!......sorry about that......the more Amerkan TV I watch, the more Amerkan I sound:D

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702 

youve obviously not seen the Thermal soaring video he did then Pete ......that was truly catatonic 

• Haha 1

So true Pete

As our space grows we find things to put into it before we even realise we are doing it, then we dont have the space anymore for the original reason we wanted more space... :blink:

Brett

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this Scorpion thread and thought that someone else was messing with one.

How wrong could I be. Anyway, it does fly quicker than the rest of my similar sized models (except for my RFM Surprise).

ScorPre.JPG