Sign in to follow this  
pete beadle

Vendor accounts

Question

pete beadle

Hi Austin

I'm assuming that the advertising headers for Neil Harrison and T9's products are there because they now have Vendor accounts(?)

Personally, I find them distracting and wish they had been set up so that you had to actually click on the individual vendors account before you could view their pictures of their products, and other advertising information, they currently have appearing automatically at the top of each section heading

Is there (eventually) going to be a long list of these ads, opening one after the other, before I can open the individual sub-headers to read them? I really wouldn't like to see that happening.....

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

• Like 2

7 answers to this question

satinet

I don't mind adverts if they are relevant to the forum. It looked like superfly has some nice products.

cirrusRC

I understand why adverts are needed - but would be nice if paid up BARCS members had the option to toggle them on/off.

• Like 1

Austin
20 hours ago, pete beadle said:

Hi Austin

I'm assuming that the advertising headers for Neil Harrison and T9's products are there because they now have Vendor accounts(?)

Personally, I find them distracting and wish they had been set up so that you had to actually click on the individual vendors account before you could view their pictures of their products, and other advertising information, they currently have appearing automatically at the top of each section heading

Is there (eventually) going to be a long list of these ads, opening one after the other, before I can open the individual sub-headers to read them? I really wouldn't like to see that happening.....

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Hi Pete,

After years of pressure (that members never see) we have decided to try out advertising here on our website. Because its a change it will take a little getting used to.

There have been a few topics where you talked yourself about supporting your local shop etc. This is a way to help those small businesses we now rely on for our modelling products.

They pay a relatively small fee, this goes to BARCS and helps fund the website and other running costs. Some of it will find its way back to members supporting GBR teams travelling abroad to represent us in competitions.  

There have been many times I had to remove posts that would be of interest to members but are advertising so it's been a real problem to manage. Only yesterday I had a post from a nice chap in Greece starting to produce turbulators, higher degree joiners etc but could not show it because of the current rules. We can't have a free for all with people posting product for sale all over the forums so it's now managed and restricted to Vendor Forums only.

14 hours ago, cirrusRC said:

I understand why adverts are needed - but would be nice if paid up BARCS members had the option to toggle them on/off.

We understand this and will continue to review it so we can achieve a balance. We want to try and keep everyone happy.

pete beadle

Hi Austin

Thank you for your fair and well reasoned reply, I appreciate it

Could I confirm my vote for NOT having these ads open automatically though please? The picture headers are the main problem, for me

Personally, I'd have absolutely no problem having a statement that "Messrs X and Y sponsor this topic and HERE is the shortcut to their webpage, anything to stop the pictures - T9's ad is fine with just a logo.....

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Andy_B

Personally I'd like to see Superfly not trying to unashamedly knock off a well known clothing manufacturer's logo ..but hey ho 

2017-09-29 10_32_58-superdry - Google Search.png

Simon B

I like the "tongue in cheek" of it... but don't really want to see too many add's within topics either, maybe a new tab or sticky link to vendors? Let's support our suppliers, I cannot buy anything of any use to this side of the sport locally anymore..... 

Austin
10 minutes ago, Simon B said:

I like the "tongue in cheek" of it... but don't really want to see too many add's within topics either, maybe a new tab or sticky link to vendors? Let's support our suppliers, I cannot buy anything of any use to this side of the sport locally anymore..... 

Vendor Tab is already there at the top. Thats the issue see, people don't see it. We have to have value for money for vendors/supporters.

1 hour ago, pete beadle said:

Hi Austin

Thank you for your fair and well reasoned reply, I appreciate it

Could I confirm my vote for NOT having these ads open automatically though please? The picture headers are the main problem, for me

Personally, I'd have absolutely no problem having a statement that "Messrs X and Y sponsor this topic and HERE is the shortcut to their webpage, anything to stop the pictures - T9's ad is fine with just a logo.....

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Ill spend some time on trying to improve the experience for BARCS members but it will stay for ordinary members and guests.