Stand for three big gliders?

Nick Jackson

• Committee Member
Nick Jackson

Those stands which hold three F5J or similar gliders, bottom one about horizontal and the upper ones progressively inclined to give clearance for the tails: I want one to stop me treading on my models, allow them to fit assembled in a shelter and - obviously and mainly - make me a much better pilot and just pretty cool.

Are the stands, or plans for them, available anywhere? Designing my own seems like reinventing the wheel (and likely to produce an oval wheel at that).

• Like 1

Nick, there are many options, but it depends on what you want.

Reference the glider stand for DLG's, I use one I bought from The Build RC is the States. 
http://thebuildrc.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?cat=244&q=glider+stand  Arrived quickly but is flimsy, as it is designed for DLG's and it does need pegging or weighting down.  Also needs some foam to protect wings on F5J models, but will take two.

You might want to make your own, thereby being able to utilise heavier or thicker wood.  Take a look at this RC soaring Digest from January 2015.  Page 14 onwards has a similar stand, but you need to download the plans (address included in the article) and make yourself.

RCSD-2015-01.pdf

Alternatively you might want to consider something that allows you to use as a stand but also as a repair / assembly stand.  I use the Halfords bike repair stand. 
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-maintenance/bike-work-stands/bikehut-repair-stand?cm_mmc=Google+PLA-_-Bike+Maintenance-_-Bike+Work+Stands-_-164412&istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istItemId=mawxmrlrt&istBid=tztw&_$ja=tsid:94971|cid:868555870|agid:49387670572|tid:aud-297219198889:pla-330385808048|crid:203456299155|nw:g|rnd:6687799348555058200|dvc:c|adp:1o1|mt:|loc:9045779&gclid=Cj0KCQjwx8fOBRD7ARIsAPVq-Nn91WIz-BvgDiSLpnfOeMwFCIl_QDs7_gH9TKL8AdSN60usJqDDShwaAlZ4EALw_wcB
Reasonably cheap and with some added foam and the use of a selfie stick to stop the wing from rotating, it works brilliantly, but as a last comment, all of these are good, but we all end up with the models on the ground in the Uk as it is nearly always windy, and if you leave it up, it will blow and get damaged.  I know you know that, but worth mentioning.

I apologise for the pictures, a little busy but just took them quickly to try and demonstrate modifications to the bike stand. 

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Eamon

IMG_2754.JPG

IMG_2753.JPG

IMG_2752.JPG

IMG_2751.JPG

Edited by Buster46
To add photos

Mine doesn't have a bar. The spread of the legs is plenty. 

I got mine cheap off eBay. One of the best things you can buy to make life easier.

I've got one of the sailplane stands to be in with the cool kids on the field.

• Haha 1

I agree, the Halfords one is the same, but if you assemble on the stand, the plane rotates, so a bar (selfie stick in my case) stops that rotation and stress on the fuse.

Eamon

• Committee Member
Nick Jackson

Thanks a lot for the responses. I've seen and been very impressed by your bike-stand version, Eamon, but I'm specifically after a three-glider stand rather than one to work on a model. The Sailplane Workshop job which Tom points me at should do it (as long as the reassurance on FaceBook to Steve Haley works for my Storks). I'm putting in an order.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Committee Member

3-glider stand arrived today from Nikos at The Sailplane Workshop as recommended above by Tom Satinet:  https://en-gb.facebook.com/SailplaneWorkshop/ Nikos has very good English and was a pleasure to deal with. Cost, shipped to the UK, was 51 euros (less than the higher quotes he was giving earlier because he's now found a cheaper shipping method, tracked with Hellenic Postal Service). Everything fits together fine and, though light, it feels pretty solid. Sides are nicely finished ply, about 6.5mm thick, and the cross pieces are substantial - I think beech. Unvarnished. Rubbery strip to protect the planes is ready fitted. It's going to be a wee bit tight to get it to take three of my x-tail Storks, which are 400mm top of the fin to bottom of the rear fuselage, but I wouldn't anticipate any problem with most models and there's scope for me to use a bit of packing if necessary.

IMG_7279.JPG

• Thanks 1