isoaritfirst

Midlands Winter F3F 2017 / 2018

Buzz

Murky on the Myndcam this morning :cry:

Scram
19 hours ago, Brett82 said:

Let's hope the rain stays away at the end of the month. 

Reserve date is NEXT w/e, Brett

Brett82
6 hours ago, Scram said:

Reserve date is NEXT w/e, Brett

You going to have to get cracking on that repair job then :thumbsup:

Thanks for letting me know, I didn't realise. 

isoaritfirst

Last one is on Saturday 17th.

Don't look very promising at the moment RSVP on the events calendar pages please.

satinet

Another beast from the east....

Scott Ravenscroft

If it’s on I will go....

jwest532

Hi guys

Not wishing you any bad luck but, if you were to cancel I'm thinking of moving the wales winter league to Saturday due to the forecast being better.  Please feel free to join us, the more the merrier...

Regards

Joel 

isoaritfirst

If Saturday suits wales better then go for it. 

Midlands entry numbers are bare minimum and easterlies don’t suit us very well. 

With entries going through a poor patch at the moment, I think it’s timd we look at a regroup. 

• Like 2

Scram

How do you think to regroup, Mike?

LM is at the limit of my willingness to travel.

isoaritfirst

Many thanks for your support over the years Jerry. 

F3f is never going to be a convenient sport. It will require travellling to meet up with others and to reach the right location. 

To meet others we either attract them to us or we go to them. 

The Long Mynd has long been considered a poor venue for F3f. 

This is not my view, but i have failed to change the majorities view and fliers will not travel to compete on our hills. 

So attracting fliers to come come to us has failed  

Hole of Horcum, Wales and Whitesheet seem to do better, although HOH seems to be struggling a little. Without the Scottish group they would probably also end up being unsustainable  

Enthusiasm is needed, and it needs to be enthused. 

Best way is to have a few good comps. 15+ entries make for an enjoyable day  and a level of competition that is competitive.

With the sport currently in decline in the UK,  attracting more fliers is important, as is ensuring they have a good day and want to come back  for more.  

Big entries attract bigger entries. 

Travelling together then gets easier etc etc  

fewer comps may sound inconvenient, but competing needs  commitment   

We tried to remove some level of commitment by running more local comps, but it has resulted in poorer comps and less commitment  and a downward spiral  

so regroup may not suit you but I don’t see any alternatives  

isoaritfirst

Current entries for this Saturday

scott

Paul

Brett

and who is enthused. 

I’m not I will choose to go out on my bike..

Maria Freeman

One of the reasons why I stopped doing F3F comps was the cost of travel. I also decided to spend time at the weekends supporting "Wasps" rugby team....

And spent the rest of my time on the dark side .... F3K. :whistle:

You may be right though , Mike . Having a few "good" comps could be the way to go....

satinet

A lot more comps have been lost to weather than when i started f3f i think. The first winter league i did i think we had about 4 or 5 comps in a row on the mynd.

F3f generally is more weather dependent compared to other f3x disciplines. We hardly ever lost comps in f3b due to weather or wind (lack of or too much)

Brett82

Scott Ravenscroft
4 hours ago, isoaritfirst said:

Current entries for this Saturday

scott

Paul

Brett

and who is enthused. 

I’m not I will choose to go out on my bike..

Well I was , I would have been at least 3rd

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Scram

Thanks for the kind words Mike.  I'm happy to support your efforts for a Midlands league for F3F but I "choose" to live in a flat(ish) part of the UK so I have to travel fair distance, though not as far as some are prepared to commit to go, I'm afraid.  For me, it's not the cost of the travel, rather the time.  It's a whole day just to go for a sociable fly.  Of all the flying disciplines I have engaged in, I enjoy slope racing and sociable sloping the most.

So most of my practice has been acquired at the LM competitions and when the weather allowed us decent days I made reasonable progress.  But recently my lack of practice has had repeated poor outcomes.  :(

I think your efforts to run a "more local" competition got off pretty well ..... when I first joined we were getting 12+ fliers which to my mind was an ideal number as it gave us a good amount of stick time and easy changeover of buzzer operators.  What has ruined this has been the weather of late!!  Even lately the reserve dates have been compromised  :(

Well, I think my Crossover repair is not going to be finished for Saturday now, and anyway you are not enthused ....... understandable.  I'm unlikely to go to the Bwlch for comps however you reorganise, so it looks like I will have to get by on long trips with the shed on wheels or the ferry to Kerry this June  :thumbsup:  Maybe I will try the Open again too, despite my reservations..

Brett82

If this is the end of the Midlands winter league then I have to say I am disappointed. I do see where you are coming from Mike so its not aimed at your decision but rather the situation we all find ourselves in. To run an enjoyable comp you do need a certain amount of pilots and when you put all the effort into it and get such low numbers it must be frustrating. Its a pity though because we have just started seeing interest from two new (returning) pilots. 

For me personally it throws a rather big spanner in the works. I've already been thinking I can't just turn up at a race each month and expect to do well. I need to spend time practising between events. The added time of travelling will be annoying but for me its the expense associated to that extra travelling which might end up being my hand break. I could still practice at The Mynd but now I need to see if the extra cost of going to the races will be affordable. Either that or forget the practice and just not expect to do well which I don't like the thought of plus I still want to fly with you guys.

So my options, 6 hr round trip to the North, almost 7 hr round trip to Wales or 6.5 hrs to Whitesheet. HOH makes more sense but then I only get to race you guys in the summer months. Well I suppose its the end of the season now so I have some time to work it out. Plus I will be doing some travelling with the comps I've entered this summer so I will get a better idea on the costs.

What we need at the Mynd is the automated camera buzzers they are testing in Europe and the USA. No need for people to sit on a base so the numbers are not as critical....:poke:

• Like 1

isoaritfirst

If others believe there is something to gain by running the events then they can of course take up the reins. 

I will support them where ever I can. All you need to do is propose a few dates to the lmsa. Turn up and have fun  

But I do think it’s the wrong course of action for the moment. 

I believe that removing the midlands from the calendar will promote other events, leading to better comps and concequently more pilots being attracted to compete .

travelling times are a problem for us all, and were part of the reason why winter local leagues were started. Together with comps being over subscribed  

The solution then, was to add more events to the calendar. It worked well for a few years with most comps still attracting >15 pilots. We now find ourselves with the opposite problem and those comps are still there and diluting the quality of the comps  

Don’t think that this is me throwing my toys out of the pram, I have more invested in this sport than most and I want to race. It is about trying to find a better way forward  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Brett82

Don't worry Mike, I don't think anyone thinks that. I see your point about numbers have dwindled and it's diluting the other comps. 

Like you, I just want to race. I don't mind the extra travel time, I just might need to go out and sell my body so I can afford it :D although that would probably do the opposite and put me into debt... :yes:

I will see how the travelling goes this summer but I think I will be practicing at the Mynd and racing in the northern league next winter. 

• Like 1

Maria Freeman
12 hours ago, Brett82 said:

I just might need to go out and sell my body so I can afford it :D although that would probably do the opposite and put me into debt... :yes:

I used to do that....but it was too tiring ! :rolleyes::lol:

• Haha 1