Gromit

Southern Winter League F3F 2017 / 18.

Gromit

Details of the coming 2017/18 Southern Winter lg F3f comps will be posted here asap. I am presently awaiting a couple of things to fall into place.

Stu.

• Like 1

Gromit

Thank you for being patient guys, all is now confirmed. I shall be posting full details of the Southern Winter lg later today :thumbsup:.

Stu.

• Like 1

Gromit

In order to maximise our chances of successfully staging 4 Southern Winter league comps, JP & myself have decided that we shall 'follow the wind' for each comp, using the venues of Whitesheet, Eastbourne & Butser Hill.

If the wind is NNW-SSW direction we will stage the comps at Whitesheet.

If the wind is NE we will use the slopes of either Eastbourne or Butser Hill.

If the wind is N or S-SE we will use Eastbourne,

The decision / details as to which venue will be used for each comp will be announced as early / soon as possible prior to each comp, this after being decided upon by Myself & JP after our careful study of the various forecasts.  Weather call will be Friday evenings at 8.00 pm.

COMP DATES ;-  4th Sunday of the month + 2 reserve dates on the 2nd Sunday of the following month, see below ;-

Sunday October 29 th 2017.

Sunday November 26th 2017.

Reserve date of Sunday December10th 2017, for the Oct & Nov comps.

Sunday January 28th 2018.

Sunday February 25th 2018.

Reserve date of March 11th 2018 for the Jan & Feb comps.

Entry to each comp will open 7 days prior, these are to be sent to myself.

I'm very much looking forward to a very enjoyable & successful Winter lg.

Stu.

• Like 2

Gromit

For anyone wanting to find out more about this exciting branch of our sport, & would like to try F3f for the very first time, the Winter lg comps are the perfect introduction. Its through these comps that very many regular F3f pilots started out.

Newcomers are always made very welcome, hints & tips on model set up, & on flying the course are always freely given.

Most sports models are perfectly suitable for you to use, you don't need to go out & buy an expensive F3f model.

You can enter as many or as few of the comps as you wish.

Please feel free to PM me with any questions you may have.

I look forward to welcoming you to your first F3f comp :thumbsup:

Stu, Whitesheet RFC

• Like 3

Gromit

Southern Winter league Rd 1, Sunday Oct 29th.

Entry  opens at 9.00 am this morning (Oct 22nd)  to this event. Please send the following information to myself at swallacegromit@aol.com

Name,

BMFA insurance details,

Frequency, 2.4 or 35 mg + chnl.

Models, (up to 3)

Please state, Whitesheet, Eastbourne, Butser, All,

The Venue ;- Myself & JP will be keeping a very close eye on the the various wind direction forecasts throughout the coming week, & will make a decision as to the venue.  I shall post this as early as these forecasts allow, ie, as soon as the wind direction is looking settled prior to the comp.

Meet time & place;- 9.00am,  place to be announced.

Weather call. The weather call will be at 8.00pm on Friday 27th.

Stu, Whitesheet RFC.

Gromit

Southern Winter Lg Rd 1 entry list .

1  , Stuart Wallace.           2.4      Radical Pro, Needle 115.

2,   Samuel Wallace.        2.4       Willow.

3,   Jon Sage,                    2.4        Cyril, Radical Pro.

4,   Pete Burgess.             2.4

5,   Mark Passingham.     2.4      Cyril.

6,   John Treble.                2.4       Pitbull. Jedi Lift.

7.   Keith Wood.                2.4       Freestyler 3, Freestyler 4.

8.   Allen Elliot                   2.4       Needle 124. Needle 115.

9.   Ian Falconer.                2.4       Shinto, Jedi.

10. Phil Taylor.                    2.4       Radical, Pitbull.

11. Tony Livingstone.         2.4       Fosa.

12. Nigel Witchalls.             2.4       Ceres.

13. Dave Rumble.               2.4        Pitbull.

14. Tony Robertson.            2.4        FS4, Ascot, Aliajai.

15. Martin Church.              2.4        Crossover, Race M.

16. Martin Drewett.             2.4        Pitbull.

17. Mike Shellim.                 2.4        Needle 115, Acacia,

18. Graeme Mahoney.         2.4       FSL,  Freestyler.

Stu. Whitesheet RFC

Gromit

Hi Gents,

We are off to a very good start to the entry list with 11 pilots having already registered (23/10/17) :thumbsup:.

I shall continue to build the above entry list daily throughout the week.

Venue advisory ;- Both XC & the BBC are presently both forecasting SW- NW winds right through to the middle of next week, it is looking very likely therefore that Whitesheet will be the venue for RD1, 'famous last words ' :whistle:. I will confirm the venue later this week.

Stu Whitesheet RFC.

Gromit

Hi Guys,

Oooops 'Famous last words' i'm afraid:frantics:.

With ystdy's forecasts showing the wind coming from a true N direction if this were to remain it would move the venue to Eastbourne & 'the Long Man' (edit 25/10/2017 or Butser)

From the entries I have already received I know of a couple of pilots that wont be travelling to Eastbourne if it were to be staged there.

In hindsight I should have asked pilots to state in their entry a simple Whitesheet, Eastbourne, Butser, All. (note;- I have now done this)

Would those pilots who have already had their entry confirmed & did not add this info to their entry,  please therefore email me asap at swallacegromit@aol.com with a simple Whitesheet, Eastbourne, Butser, All.

I need this information so that I know that there are enough numbers attending each venue to stage the comp.

Thanks,

Stu, Whitesheet RFC.

Gromit

A big thank you from me to all those pilots having already entered, for letting me know so quickly regarding travel to venues. I now have this info from everyone. This is very helpful & much appreciated, thanks guys :thumbsup:

Stu.

Gromit

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to keep you all as informed as I can at this stage, regarding the chosen venue for Sundays comp  Note;-This is NOT confirmation.

The response regarding travelling to venues from those 16 pilots registered, is that 6 pilots would not be travelling to Eastbourne (The Long Man), whereas only 1 would not be travelling to Butser Hill. In view of this, should the forecast Northerly remain the venue would therefore be Butser Hill. 

The Meon Valley Soaring association have very kindly given us permission to stage the event on their slopes at Butser. My thanks to Tony Robertson for all his help to me ystdy, in liasing with the MVSA Chairman.

Note; there is a payable parking charge of £3.50 at Butser

I hope that by Friday evening the various forecast will have settled, and I will be able to confirm the venue. This will be at the same time as the weather call of 8.00pm.

Stu.

Gromit

Apologies for the delay in posting the venue & weather call. Following a site visit to Butser hill today, I have had a lot to sort out this aftnoon & evening.   Details asap, please be patient, thanks.

Stu

Gromit

Hi Guys,

Sundays venue will be 'The Long Man' Wilmington, nr Eastbourne. The comp is ON.

My son Samuel & I travelled to Butser hill today, to check out the N facing slope regarding its suitability for staging an F3f competition along it. Following this visit I have made the decision that it is unfortunately NOT suitable for staging an F3f comp. It is not possible to erect an F3f course along the N slope due to a large amount of very tall (6ft) & very thick Gorse bushes. It is not possible to erect the course to one side or other of these large bushes.  

Additionally, during a conversation I had today with a paraglider at Butser, I was informed by him that a group of Paragliders are planning to be using the slope on Sunday.

Note ;- The NE slope at Butser remains perfectly suitable for an F3f comp, we have staged comps on here before & will indeed use this slope again for future Winter lg comps if req'd.

Following my discussions this evening with both JP & Pete Burgess, I have decided that the venue for Sundays competition will therefore be The Long Man, Wilmington nr Eastbourne.

The forecasts for Sunday are all looking very good with 15mph NNW- N, this is straight onto The Long Man. It is forecast to be dry all day , I am therefore calling the comp ON.

Meet time will be 9.00am

Meet place. Bottom of the Long man. Directions ;-Turn off the A27 Lewes rd at Wilmington, onto a road called The Street. Very soon along this rd you will pass a Public house called The Giants Rest (post code BN26 5SQ) . Follow this road (The street) through the village until you arrive at the bottom of the Long Man.

Note;- Entry remains Open, I will accept entries on the day.

I have myself never flown at the Long Man, I am therefore very much looking forward to flying there on what is forecast to be a very good day for racing.

Stu

Allen Elliott

Drive Red

Walk Yellow

:)

Capture.JPG

Gromit

Thank you for your above post Allen, much appreciated.

Stu.

Gromit

Hi All,

I understand & appreciate that the journey to 'The Long Man' is a significant one for a number of pilots, & that for this reason they have said they would not be traveling to this venue. We couldn't wish for a much better forecast for the comp, dare I say it ? it does in fact look 'Cracking', & looks to be going to be very worth while, BBC  http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2633886 .  XC http://xcweather.co.uk/forecast/wilmington

Entry remains Open, please send your entry to me during today. Entries will also be accepted on the day.

I'm really looking forward to what is forecast to be a full days racing in good racing conditions on a good slope B|

entry fee is £5.00, payable on the slope

Note ; Don't forget to adjust your Alarm clocks for tomorrow morning, as the clocks change tonight .

Stu

Gromit

Here is the confirmed list ( as of 9.oo pm),  of those pilots entered, whom have told me that they will be travelling to 'The Long Man' for Rd 1 of the Southern Wint Lg tomorrow.

Pilots.

1, Stuart Wallace.

2, Samuel Wallace,

3, Pete Burgess,

4, Allen Elliot,

5, Jon Sage,

6, Ian Falconer,

7, Tony Livingstone,

8, Nigel Witchalls,

9, Mike Shellim,

10, Graeme Mahoney,

11, Phil Taylor.

If anyone would still like to enter what is promising from the forecasts to be a good days racing,  entry remains OPEN. It would be helpful to me if such pilots could send in their entries to me this evening, however If you wake up tomorrow morning & decide you would like to come along & join in the fun, entries will be accepted on the day.

The forecasts continue to remain very good for a 'Cracking' days racing ,  BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2633886 XC http://xcweather.co.uk/forecast/Wilmington.

note, don't forget the clocks change tonight. meet time 9.00am sharp please.

Stu.

• Like 1

Les

Hope you guys get a good start to your soft southerners winter league .😂

Hope to attend a few this season. 

Good luck guys👍

Pete Burgess

Thanks Les, but what's "soft" about climbing up the Longman? Hard work as far as I'm concerned :thumbsup:

oipigface

Ever been up the Bishop, Pete? The farther north, the harder they get.

Les

How's it going guys?

Any feed back for us?