Gromit

Southern Winter League F3F 2017 / 18.

Pete Burgess

Sunday dawned somewhat overcast with rain in the air but undaunted 10 of us met at the Longman car park and then trudged up the hill to the NNW face. The course was setup on the usual site. The wind was about 20 mph which increased during the day (Sorry, I did not measure it in m/s) With only 10 of us it was a busy day so we flew 2 Rounds per flight which meant that we managed 16 rounds. Results:

1 Mike Shellim 1000.0
2 Graeme Mahoney 998.93
3 Ian Falconer 975.88
4 Tony Livingstone 964.4
5 Stuart Wallace 938.34
6 Peter Burgess 935.0
7 Sam Wallace 900.68
8 Nigel Witchalls 886.63
9 Phil Taylor 864.91
10 Allen Elliott 416.57
11 Jon Sage 0.0

• Like 6

Les

Nice one Peter

Good start to the Winter series 

Pete Burgess

PS Les, I even won a round with a 41.16 :)

• Like 1

Les
13 minutes ago, Pete Burgess said:

PS Les, I even won a round with a 41.16 :)

Nice one mate 

Les

Well done to the top three Mike Graeme and Ian sneaking into 3rd spot👏

Brett82

Nice one guys, sounds like you got a good competition in. 

Well done Sam finishing with 90% of the winner. 

isoaritfirst

Winter league up and running 😉👍

lets hope the rest of us can follow suit this year. 

Well done on the win Mike. It’s been in the cards since you dialled that needle in. 

Congrats to Graham and Ian. 

Furst podium Ian?  Well done. 

Ian Falconer

Thanks today was a good day.

Phil.Taylor

Big congrats to top 3 - especially Mike Shellim - who looked so surprised when the result was read out :)

Very big thankyou to Stu for shepherding us to the Longman for what turned out to be a truly excellent day - a cracking day out.

My luck ran our right from the start - worst of the nasty crossed air at the end of the first round - then an aileron servo gave up on Roxy Radical. But was great fun hauling the big red bus T-Masterpiece around the course for the rest of the day - even went faster than Tony L on one round. Then I got handed the dying air for the last rounds at the end.

Phil

Pint in hand :)

• Like 3

rc-soar

A really enjoyable day's F3F with lots of flying. The "two-runs-with-crow-through" was an inspired decision. Haven't looked at the spreadsheet yet but it must have been nip and tuck all the way, as the final result was almost too close to call! And Graeme can claim a splendid fastest time of 36+.

Many thanks to Stu, Sam, Allen, Pete and all who put this together, if the remaining events are as good as this we're in for a treat.

Mike

PS not too many usable photos this time, but will post in due course.

• Like 4

oipigface

Congratulations Mike, Graeme and Ian. Wish I could have been there, but it was one long trip too many for me.

Gromit

A truly 'Cracking' start to the Southern Winter Lg, Lots of wind 15 - 25 mph, lots of rds 16, & happy smiling pilots throughout the whole day, they don't get much better :).

I shall post my comp report during the day tomorrow.

I do wish now though, to thank all the pilots for travelling too & supporting todays comp, and for making it such a very enjoyable days racing, thank you all.

My thanks to Pete for running the middle, & to both Allen & Graeme for helping Pete with this. :thumbsup:.

My thanks to all the pilots for making my job as Buzzer supremo an easy task today, a real team effort by every one throughout the day :thumbsup:.

As a comp organiser & CD, todays comp was the very kind that makes all the time & effort involved in this so very rewarding. It is why I enjoy doing it so much. Thank you all very much guys :thumbsup:

Congratulations Mike on your winning todays comp, another excellent display of 'Needling' :thumbsup:.

Congrats & Very well done to Graeme on taking second place,  & to Ian on achieving 3rd place :thumbsup:.

Well done to everyone else on your own positions & achievements.

As I said, I'l post my Comp report tomorrow, I'm too knackered to do it now, lol

Happy Stu

• Like 1

Alibabaj

Ditto all the above very good days racing, well done Mike on the win very close in the end, and to Ian on his first podium.

One standout thing for me was how close and consistent Sam was on the bases, ok hi did several push cut recoveries, but once he dials them in... watch out!

Thanks Stu for organising, the Crow through allowing 16 rounds was a great call.

G

• Like 1

mtreble

Well done Mike - didn't think you did winter leagues?!

Gromit

Souther winter lg rd 1. Oct 29th 2017.

'The Long Man'. 

59f7054d7ee5a_IMG_1550(Medium).thumb.JPG.b035f279068f6778448d60dc28024989.JPG

The Southern winter league of 2017/18 has got off to a 'Cracking' start, with a trip to the 'The Long Man' nr Eastbourne in west Sussex. 

10 pilots all arrived eagerly early ahead of the meet time, all offering helping hands both to myself & Pete, to help carry all the comp gear up the hill. The walk up is a steady incline all the way to the top, taking around 30 minutes I guess. The beautiful views across the Sussex countryside, certainly help you forget the pain of your aching legs. 

On arriving at the top, we set up the course directly over the top of The Long Man' figure. (above pic). The wind started the day being a steady 15 mph N -NNW , this built to a max of 25 mph. This steady breeze blew consistently throughout the day, no turbulent gusts or lulls & only a few thermals came through. This made for very similar flying conditions for each pilot in each round, perfect.  Cloudy skies steadily cleared during the morning to give way to blue skies & sunshine, it was a beautiful late October day.

With conditions such as they were, & 10 pilots competing, Pete & I discussed possibly flying 2 rds with a 'crow through' per flight. This we decided to do, so as to maximise the number of rounds flown, & to avoid a continuous rush in every round for everyone to fly, then land as quickly as possible, & then get to a base to buzz as quickly as possible, so as to avoid holding up the comp. With conditions being so very consistent throughout the day, no one pilot had the advantage of flying their 2 rds in 'very good air'.  The crow through & 2 rds per flight proved to be a very good decision, all pilots giving very positive feedback on this both throughout the day, & again after the comp. This decision enabled us to fly a total of 16 rds.

Part 2 asap .

Stu.

• Like 4

Phil.Taylor
22 minutes ago, Pete Burgess said:

Full results spreadsheet

SWL R1 17.xls

Thanks Pete

Surprised & delighted to see I actually placed 2nd in 2 of the rounds :)

Phil.

• Like 2

Allen Elliott

Great day Stu. Thanks to all

My score reflects my next question

Anyone got a wing joiner for a needle 124/115 ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gromit

With so many rds having been flown it would take forever for me to comment on who achieved what in each of them. The spreadsheet is therefore the source for this info.

I thought the following however, would be helpful to all as a rd summary.

You will see from the posted times in each round, just how very consistent the conditions were for everyone throughout the whole competition.

Top 3 placings for each round.

Rd 1.  1st Graeme Mahoney  44.93.  2nd, Ian Falconer            45.52.       3rd, Tony Livingstone   48.60.

Rd 2.  1st Mike Shellim          45.70.   2nd, Stuart Wallace        46.48.       3rd, Ian Falconer           46.85.

Rd 3.  1st Tony Livingstone   44.58   2nd, Ian Falconer            47.08.       3rd, Pete Burgess         48.24.

Rd 4.  1st Graeme Mahoney  44.92   2nd, Mike Shellim           45.90.      3rd,  Ian Falconer           46.62.

Rd 5.  1st Mike Shellim           44.26   2nd,  Graham Mahoney 45.99.      3rd, Ian Falconer            46.25.

Rd 6.  1st Mike Shellim           43.62   2nd,  Phil Taylor              45.27.      3rd, Ian Falconer            46.33.

Rd 7.  1st Graeme Mahoney  41.42   2nd,  Mike Shellim          42.83.      3rd, Tony Livingstone    43.78.

Rd 8.  1st Graeme Mahoney  39.68   2nd, Ian Falconer            40.72.      3rd, Mike Shellim            41.63.

Rd 9.  1st Mike Shellim           38.61   2nd, Tony Livingstone   43.99.      3rd, Ian Falconer             44.08.

Rd 10. 1st Stuart Wallace       41.51  2nd, Ian Falconer            43.58.      3rd, Pete Burgess            45.81.

Rd 11. 1st Ian Falconer           43.02  2nd, Tony Livingstone    43.74.      3rd, Pete Burgess           44.04.

Rd 12. 1st Tony Livingstone  40.16  2nd, Sam Wallace            43.23.     3rd, Graeme Mahoney    45.08.

Rd 13. 1st Pete Burgess         41.14  2nd, Phil Taylor                45.33.     3rd, Mike Shellim             45.51.

Rd 14. 1st Graeme Mahoney 36.66  2nd, Mike Shellim            43.99.     3rd, Stuart Wallace           44.10.

Rd 15. 1st Stuart Wallace       40.93  2nd, Mike Shellim            43.50.     3rd, Graeme Mahoney     44.32.

Rd 16. 1st Stuart Wallace       42.04  2nd, Graeme Mahoney    43.09.    3rd, Mike Shellim              45.41.

Result.

1 Mike Shellim           1000.00          Needle 115
2 Graeme Mahoney    998.93           FSL, Freestyler.
3 Ian Falconer              975.88           Shinto
4 Tony Livingstone      964.4             Fosa
5 Stuart Wallace          938.34           Radical Pro
6 Peter Burgess           935.0             Pitbull
7 Sam Wallace             900.68           Willow 1
8 Nigel Witchalls         886.63            Ceres
9 Phil Taylor                 864.91            Radical, T Master
10 Allen Elliott             416.57             Needle 124, Needle 115.

Fastest time of the day;-  Graeme Mahoney 36.66 (rd 14)

Spreadsheet   SWL R1 17.xls

Stu. Whitesheet RFC

• Like 1