Northern Winter League F3F 2017 / 2018

Jon_E

This is the scene at Blue Bank, Sleights just now.

You are right though, I was thinking parking could be an issue. I was thinking I would park at the end of the lane and walk along...

5a21782f2a7fc_ScreenHunter_117Dec_0115_40.thumb.jpg.cf299aee05d0909cff17b39113905fc8.jpg

5 minutes ago, Steve Haley said:

so are we on, or off Jon......

he wont post till after the beeb weather 7ish

We are OFF

Sorry guys, but wind speeds look toooo variable to make a positive call.
Looking at all the sites I use, some are 7mph and above, some are 7mph and below.
Pressure charts suggest light and variable winds, not that exciting really, especially for Levisham

So hope you all have a great time between now and the next event, which will be on the 6th Jan 2018

Cheers

Jon

Thanks Rich

Even if the winds were as forecast by some weather sites, flying would have been pretty dire.

Maybe we should consider whether 7mph is too low, especially for some sites.

10mph would give a better margin for variable conditions. Obviously wouldn't have made any difference today, but for future calls?

Jon

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Happy New Year to All

3rd Round of the Northern Winter League is scheduled for this coming Saturday.

Forecast looking mixed at the mo, but as usual the call will be made on Friday evening

Cheers

Jon

• Like 2

You are right Steve, a forecast that didn't take too much thinking about. :-)

Tomorrows Winter League is ON.

20 - 30mph NE winds with the risk of some showers. Very cold!

So meet 9:30 in the main carpark, for a brisk walk across to the NE slope ( overlooking the defunt Saltersgate Pub )

cheers

Jon

• Like 5

Great day out, with the weather forecast being spot-on. 10-12m/s NE winds dropping as the day wore on to 5-6m/s
A few showers along the way allowed the 8 pilots to manage a respectable 12 rounds. All were pretty weary as we left the moor in the fading light

Some great flying throughout the day, saw the welcome return of Mark Redsell, who has lost none of his flying skills to take first place. Greg in second, with Rich in third. FTD went to Mark R with a 34.33 in R6

All results here :-

image.png.bdaaa0c89c300d50e6cd2fc1162846de.png

Thanks to all for your help, and look forward to the next event on the 3rd Feb

Jon

• Like 9

So good to hear you  successfully staged round 3 today.

Congrats to Mark on winning the event, to Greg on taking the 'runners up' spot, & to Rich on achieving 3rd :thumbsup:.

Well done to all on your own achievements & placings.

Well done Jon for organising / running the comp :thumbsup:.

Stu.

That was pretty epic, I must say - I'd forgotten how physically demanding  a slope race could be, especially in cold winter conditions. 

But, it was absolutely superb to fly 13 rounds on one of Horcum's best slopes in 14m/s. Great to see Mark R make a welcome return, and promptly wipe the floor with us all 😀 . Super flying there Mark!

Conditions were sufficiently consistent to learn more about flying styles and techniques too, which is always welcome. Plenty to think about ref snap-flap mixing and the relationship between distance flown and model speed. It was quite interesting to see the distinction between conventional f3f techniques and EM flying on the day too. On many slopes it's often difficult to perceive the benefits of EM, but yesterday was very different. Mark's score provides clear testament 😎👍

Thanks to Jon, Mark T for providing a fantastic opening event for 2018.

Cheers,

Greg

• Like 6

On 7 January 2018 at 17:42, Greg Dakin said:

That was pretty epic, I must say - I'd forgotten how physically demanding  a slope race could be, especially in cold winter conditions. 

I agree Greg, I was totally cream crackered
Thanks to Mark R for bringing his car down to the gate to pick up our gear.  Would have been a hard slog back to the carpark without help!

However, back on form now. Here is the link to the full results :-

http://www.nymrsc.org.uk/Assets/docs/WL_R3_Jan18.xls

Cheers
Jon

• Like 2

Wow, quick times! Sorry I missed that one :cry:

Looked like a really good battle at the top too.

Unfortunately I can't make the next one either, the calendar is not working out well for me this year...

interesting comp, Mark and Greg winning equal rounds.

Must have been a hard one to call before the numbers were crunched.