Jon_E

Northern Winter League F3F 2017 / 2018

Maxscotland

Yeah rear drive and turning on wet rough grass with potholes was not the natural habitat for a Bavarian Motor Wehical lol

Thanks Tony for assistance and thanks Rich and Steve for laughing lol  :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Greg Dakin

Great to get the Northern WL under way - thanks to Jon, Mark and Rich for mastering the ceremonies.

Congrats to Steve for taking the opener (long overdue imho), and Pete for second place, both pilots flying very accurately

in challenging conditions.

I really struggled with the technicality of the slope, and couldn't establish a repeatable 'formula' to return a decent time.

By the end of round 4, I'd just about found a 'line' that worked for me, but round 5 was more about keeping the 

model airborne, than actually racing 😀, so no real opportunity to evaluate further.

All good stuff though, and part of the ongoing learning curve. Nice to see Tony on the slopes with a very pretty Sunbird too!

MP and I finished off the day with some fantastic fish n chips, a gentle cruise home and a table-top review of servoahmen LDS systems and Aeolus III drawings - whats not to like 😎👍

Cheers,

Greg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Peter G

Just googled Aeolus III and came up with a bicycle wheel! But a little further down was reference to a Woods glider plan.

I think for us Scottish travellers it's as much about a good day out with friends in a nice part of the world as the racing. Yesterday's slope was particularly 3D as MP said coming to replace me on base A via the two ravines!

• Like 1

Steve Haley

Thanks for all the accolades guys, i was very happy to win my F3F comp against some of the best seasoned pilots in this class, which makes it even more special.

As Mr Bago pointed out on more than one occasion on the way home, i did get the run of better air, but unlike last year, i made the best of the good air when it arrived with no mistakes.

Thanks to Jon and Mark T for doing most of the days organising and it was great to see the guys from Scotland support as always. And the surprise of the day, was seeing Mark Passingham turning up with Greg after many years away from Fxx. A really enjoyable day all round.

file1.jpeg

file-1.jpeg

• Like 6

campsieflyer

A very challenging day but great fun. a few photos- starting at a misty  Levisham and working their way round to the sunny slope !

Dave

DSC_5498.jpg

DSC_5500.jpg

DSC_5505.jpg

DSC_5514.jpg

DSC_5516.jpg

DSC_5517.jpg

DSC_5527.jpg

DSC_5528.jpg

DSC_5531.jpg

DSC_5535.jpg

DSC_5544.jpg

DSC_5547.jpg

DSC_5553.jpg

DSC_5559.jpg

DSC_5568.JPG

DSC_5577.jpg

DSC_5578.JPG

DSC_5590.jpg

DSC_5594.jpg

DSC_5596.jpg

DSC_5602.jpg

DSC_5617.jpg

DSC_5619.jpg

DSC_5623.jpg

DSC_5626.jpg

• Like 7

SilentPilot
1 hour ago, campsieflyer said:

DSC_5623.jpg

No wonder I’m so slow, I’ve obviously overcooked this turn, it looks like I’m spinning in!!!

Tony

• Haha 1

Les
10 minutes ago, SilentPilot said:

No wonder I’m so slow, I’ve obviously overcooked this turn, it looks like I’m spinning in!!!

Tony

The main thing Tony is you enjoy yourself and come back for more👍

• Like 2

Brett82

Les is right Tony, just have fun. Did you only fly the Sunbird? 

SilentPilot

Yes I did enjoy myself and I will be back!

I only flew the Sunbird because my Willow and Pike both picked up snags that grounded them. 

I was so embarrassed during the last round, the upwind leg just seemed to take ages (actually it did take ages!)

The Sunbird was way out of its depth. I was way out of my depth too. Not a good combination :(

I was looking forward to putting the Willow through its paces. No doubt I’d still have come last but I may have done a bit better in a round or two...

• Like 1

Brett82

Don't worry about being out of your depth and don't get embarrassed. Fly what you want to fly when you feel confident flying it. 

In Wales I came last with a Fosa and after some good previous results confidence wasn't a major issue. My problem was set up and I just couldn't work out how to use the Fosa on that particular slope in those conditions. 

No one is there to laugh at you, they may take the p**s, but it's all in good sport. 

In no particular order you have Rich, Mark, Greg, Jon, Ewan, Dave, Steve and a bunch of other guys all with incredible knowledge flying there with you. All the guys I have met have helped me and I'm sure they will help you too. 

Have fun mate. 

• Like 2

Gromit
13 hours ago, campsieflyer said:

A very challenging day but great fun. a few photos- starting at a misty  Levisham and working their way round to the sunny slope !

Dave

DSC_5498.jpg

Thanks for posting the set of pics, I particularly love the above one . The mist hanging in the trees looks like an artists painting B|

Stu

• Like 2

Peter G
17 hours ago, SilentPilot said:

Yes I did enjoy myself and I will be back!

Thats good to hear Tony, you were making steady progress I thought until the wind all but died in the last round.

I had noted to myself while buzzing etc. that your anticipation and the attitude of the model coming out of the turns was definately improving round by round and your times reflected that 91, 86, 82.. It was windier in the first round and much less windy in the last so you can discount those.

We all saw Rich fly a nice 88 in round 0 so its all relative ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sloper
17 hours ago, Peter G said:

We all saw Rich fly a nice 88 in round 0 so its all relative ;)

Yea looks like ive used up all my thermal credits on the last few comps :(

• Like 1

Les
30 minutes ago, Sloper said:

Yea looks like ive used up all my thermal credits on the last few comps :(

Let's just hope I get some this Saturday on the Mynd.

Jon_E

Round 2 of the Northern Winter League this coming Saturday, 2nd Dec
Current forecast is looking good ( that's killed it! ) if a bit on the chilly side

As usual, call will be made Friday evening

Cheers

Jon

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sloper

wellies and a sled maybe required

• Confused 1

Peter G

I don't know about a sledge but those wheeled trollies work well on the moor eh Ronnie, Frank :poke:

Looking forward to it Jon :brr:

• Haha 1

Jon_E

Don't want to be a 'kill joy' but the North York Moors received a shed load of snow over the last few days. 
Current forecast is for some rain today and clear tomorrow. Winds are shifting to light WNW 8-9mph so we will be back on Levisham.

Access to the village will be open, the local farmers make sure of that, but Braygate Lane where we park won't receive the same attention.
So parking will be difficult, as will the trudge across the moor to the flying site. Light winds and a wind chill below freezing, all makes for a great day out!

Will make the final call tonight as usual, but I thought I would just soften you up for a possible negative call 

Jon

• Sad 2

Stefan Bertschi

Cheers from Switzerland, thats what you should do in the snow 😁

20171201_132204.jpg

• Like 1