Gary B

Multiplex Flamingo Contest

Gary B

Hi folks,

Just been messing around in the shed with my latest acquisition, a Multiplex Flamingo Contest.

It was one of those eBay jobs where I hoped someone would outbid me but they didn't!!

Thought I would share a few photos and other gen on this glider, they were quite popular 'back in the day'. I think this one dates from the late 1990s. I have a soft spot for the MPX gliders from this era, just great quality I think, over the last few years I've collected an ASW22, DG600 and a Fiesta.

I have the instructions on PDF, they're still downloadable from Multiplex's website.

The wings (veneered foam) are in quite good condition and just needed a run over with the covering iron and the ailerons re-hinging with tape.

Tailplanes are also good, they are a lifting section and I think are meant to be fitted flat side up.

The fuselage has been cracked and repaired, some filler and paint would have it looking better but I'm on the look out for a good fuselage if anyone has one kicking about.

It has an aerotow release and servo which I'll probably remove, there is a winch/bungee hook but I'll most likely be sloping it only.

It weighs around 2.4 kg which is lighter than I remember when I lifted one up on Crook Peak a few years ago, but still hefty! It's possible that model had ballast bars in it, this Flamingo has ballast tubes and I have some original MPX ballast which came with the Fiesta.     

Will add photos in the next posts, cheers.

Gary

• Like 1

Gary B

Some piccies:

PA100962.thumb.JPG.59a730a0aa61c5ef7666ab3391df6afb.JPG

PA100964.thumb.JPG.0f50a1956aaf7777e09c790e4434fded.JPG

PA100965.thumb.JPG.8ed4457a51e0e2736a0dfe826f883913.JPG

• Like 1

Gary B

More piccies:

PA100966.thumb.JPG.79b4aa89ff39ad3ac7ab656442ba01f4.JPG

PA100967.thumb.JPG.55795035f918d8a492a05c91c24801ed.JPG

PA100968.thumb.JPG.2750cb94cdfa5137aaffcc32fd0c8ccd.JPG

PA100972.thumb.JPG.385eaa695c31ffd8f693d6c00f4db3d7.JPG

• Like 3

PeteMitchell

Great model Gary. I had one but it was an earlier version than yours.

I remember building all the flying surfaces, wing,tailplane and  rudder. They were 'traditional' construction, balsa and spruce, and fully balsa sheeted.

The fus was the first one I had that was a proper epoxy resin moulded job, quite light weight and strong. Much better than most others of the time which were Polyester resin heavy and brittle.

Best of luck with it.

Gary B

Cheers Pete,

Yep, I've seen an earlier Flamingo with a sharp nose and smaller canopy, the current version is different again.

According to a plan I've seen the early Flamingo had two ballast tubes in each wing which would account for the pack of four lead sticks (I did wonder!).

This model has very nice double paddle airbrakes which are in full working order (the plastic pins usually break).

I could in theory put a battery and 35 meg crystal in it and fly it but I really ought to sort it out properly.

Cheers

GB

pete beadle

Hi Gary

I have an MPX Kranich currently progressing nicely up the "To Do" list

It was originally fitted with a brushed motor that weighed about enough - (possibly 8 ounces)

Wings and fuselage are mint, and I paid far too much for it, but just HAD to have it as soon as I saw it

The original refurb stopped as I was having to add far too much church roof to balance it and is currently awaiting that light bulb moment when I work out how to lighten the rear end A LOT! I'll keep everyone fully informed about the (lack) of progress

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Kranich.jpg

Gary B

Nice, looks like a Flamingo but the wings mount higher up the fuselage, almost a shoulder wing arrangement.  

Darren_O

I saw this Flamingo on ebay and was going to have a bid and totally forgot about it!! At least it's in good hands :)

• Like 2

Gary B

You really should have bought it!

I'm trying to finish an Xtra Wot at the mo so that's my excuse for not cracking on with the Flamingo!

Gary B

Did some more fettling this afternoon,

Removed and tested the servos, JR NES 507 (not heard of these, must be ancient?!) and one Futaba S148, all seem fine. Interesting was the position of the control horns (nowhere near neutral) and all brass grommets upside down in the rubbers. The rubbers generally aren't used in gliders but I suppose in a sloper they might take some shock out of lumpy landings.

Marvelled at the JR NER-627 XZ 35 MHz receiver,  no crystal but probably works fine, reassuringly heavy. I believe the on/off switch is genuine JR, you can just tell by the action!

Removed the rudder by pulling the pins out of the Kavan hinges then carefully dug out the hinge halves. The rudder had a nasty dent in the sheet side so I stripped the covering which was Solarfilm, filled the dent with Model Lite then covered it with Solarfilm again, changing the colour from white to red because I had no white (and they all had red rudders for some reason?!).

Removed the German flags and stickers from the fuselage, the flags have survived but the others are toast.

Found the canopy rear wooden hook rattling loose in the fuselage, saves making another.

Some jobs to do are: fill and sand the cracks, fit a metal tube to take the wing incidence pins (elongated holes in fibreglass) and fix a curvy left wing root face causing a gap.

I notice there is no anti-crush dowel in the fuselage, not designed for one but will try to devise something. 

Maybe some pictures tomorrow if the sun shines.

It really is a labour of love restoring these old gliders but very worthwhile I think.

Cheers

Gary    

f3fman

Gary, the "Position of the control horns, nowhere near neutral" ...... may have been giving the required differential movement, without the use of a clever transmitter

Gary B

True but difficult to achieve with only one aileron servo in the fuselage! It was the aileron servo that was way off but the elevator and rudder were also nowhere near 90 degrees at neutral.

Differential in this glider is achieved through the bellcrank in each wing, same as a Tiger Moth. 

The rudder and elevator servo had two legs on each horn, odd.

I have a feeling that this glider was not flown after repairs, if it was it would have been wildly out of trim and difficult to fly at a guess.

• Haha 1

Gary B

A bit more progress today.

The left wing root was not a flat face any more so it needed a gap filler making. I guessed at 3/32 (2.5 mm) and found some scrap ply. This half root rib needed tapering, thick at the front, thin at the rear. Not perfect but much better than it was.

Another job was to fit a tube for the wing incidence pins. Multiplex's original idea was just to have holes in the fibreglass but they had worn to the point where individual wing incidences were random, again much better now.

Started to rub down the fuselage gel coat ready for paint, the cracks around the centre section need to be blended in with filler.

There is some odd 'bubbling' in places of the gel coat, not sure what's caused that but it will sand off anyway.

I can see a problem that the dazzling white fuselage will look strange next to the faded wings, not a lot I can do about that!

Some piccies:

PA180977.thumb.JPG.48f48085cea6692f9ce762310a72ee45.JPG

PA180978.thumb.JPG.4fa11c851c7700d2500f05f5e3282cf4.JPG

Gary B

More piccies:

PA180979.thumb.JPG.8d7e712f8d02e5e0fb35037cbb52b50f.JPG

PA180988.thumb.JPG.7486fbf3d3c3dab8b9b985a458950d39.JPG

PA180984.thumb.JPG.92ca377cae207d3f5df5b8eaadb2eebf.JPG

• Like 1

pete beadle

Hi Gary

quote "I can see a problem that the dazzling white fuselage will look strange next to the faded wings, not a lot I can do about that!"

Two coats of white primer to hide the repairs and two coats of "Appliance White" to tame the brightness:yes:

BTW I'm really glad that you are doing re-furbs like this - it's the reason I find talking to the people who attend ISA Nostalgia Day so fascinating.....not just what they were flying but, more importantly, why.........

Keep it up....looks like a wonderful job you're doing there:thumbsup:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Gary B

Cheers Pete,

I enjoy restoring old things, always have.

I ought to book a day off for next year's Nostalgia Day, haven't been for a while.

• Like 1

Gary B

Damp afternoon so I'm cracking on!

Fuselage was filled, sanded, filled again then painted. I used short lengths of fuel tubing stuffed into the elevator drive slots and over the tow hook for masking, a carved matchstick in the elevator pivot and two cocktail sticks in the wing incidence tubes. Weetabix packet cut up to mask the radio gear area.

I used Rust-oleum 'Painters Touch' enamel spray from an aerosol which I had in the shed, I bought it for a power model but it's not fuel proof (but ideal for gliders!).

Fitted new Kavan rudder hinges, I take the corners off with nail clippers to help them slide in. I've used my trusty 'Veloset' PVA glue on these instead of epoxy, easier to remove for rudder repairs.

Managed to recycle the German flag stickers for the fin, making sure I got them the right way up!

Glued the canopy hook back on, the front of the canopy sticks up a bit but not a lot I can do about that.

Rigged it in the garden for some inspiration, quite pleased with how it's coming out. Need to put the radio gear back in and see if I can save a little bit of weight.

It's slightly left wing heavy for some reason, need to look at that.

GB

PA260990.JPG

PA260995.JPG

PA260996.JPG

PA260997.JPG

PA261000.JPG

PA261010.JPG

Edited by Gary B
Typo
  • Like 2

Gary B

Radio is back in minus the aerotow release servo. Servo horns redone to get them at 90° for equal travel.

Out of curosity I tried a crystal in the old 35 meg receiver but it appears to be dead, could be me doing something daft.

Weighed it again and with enough lead in the nose to achieve the recommended CG of 75 mm it still weighs 2.4 kg.

...which works out to a wing loading of 16 oz sq/ft in old money. The CG is probably conservative at 34% of the root chord, only one way to find out.

As luck would have it the forward canopy ply bulkhead fell out while I was fiddling so I can adjust the lock hole for a better fit.

Not sure what wood glue was used originally but it's not very good!

f3fman

At the risk of showing my grandmother how to suck eggs, you do know not all 35meg rx crystals are the same e.g. Dual/Single conversion, JR differerent to futaba etc etc  . 

Gary B

Indeedy!

The JR crystals are fixed in a grey plastic holder, my Futaba Rx crystals are loose, I think only Futaba has dual conversion?

I've tried several different frequency JR receiver crystals, the transmitter is a JR PCM 9XII with a module on the back where the frequency is set with two dials (one for tens, one for units).

No biggie but it's unusual for a JR 35 meg receiver to fail, I'll play with it a bit more then consign it to the plastic tub with all the others.

I've mixed and matched manufacturers before and was once told that you're ok if you don't mix crystals and receivers/transmitters, e.g. use a JR crystal in a JR receiver.

The Flamingo will be on 2.4.